Hello, I'm new

UPSwannaB

not yet worthy
Trickpony thanks for the help, but there is no way I'd ever be a nurse lol.

On a search I looked up it said that in the future UPS and Fed ex drivers would be in demand because there will always be packages to be delivered.

The only thing I'm worried about is when I get so old. I'm just wondering if I stayed a package driver, put money into a 401k, and maybe invested some money at an early age into the stock market, if I could retire and not be working until I'm 70 lol.

And Griff, I'm the same way. I just don't see myself going to college, and I agree that it can be a waste of money unless you go for something specifically. And like someone mentioned earlier, it's like now that everyone goes and gets degrees, you're not even guarenteed good jobs anymore.

Sammie

UPSwannaB-
Have you ever thought about a trade that will always be in demand?
I know several nurses that are making as much if not more than this union truck driver.
Hospitals are warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
Hospitals don't have snow, ice and idiots in the hallways.
Hospitals don't have a 18-24 inch high step to climb into and out of 110+ times a day.
Hospitals don't have 70-150 pound packages to hoss around. Hospitals do have 300 pound patients but if you'll get help to "pull them up" or "turn them" you won't blow out a disc in your back.
The nurse tells the hospital what shift/days they will work.
Nurses can get a job anywhere.....no hassles to transfer.
Nurses won't get outsourced to Pakistan anytime soon.
There is a PT preloader on this board that is going to nursing school and, I understand, doing quite well.
Check with your local vo-tech school and see what they offer.
When she gets her license the world will be laid before her.

As far as the medical field, the dental hygienist at my dentist's office pulls down $35 an hour and doesn't have to work a 40 hr week to make ends meet. All this with a 2 year degree!

canon

Life isn't over and you aren't limited to McDonalds
I wonder if McDonalds ever gets tired of being referred to as the very last resort to earning money or the place where all slackers should end up lol.

And Griff, I'm the same way. I just don't see myself going to college, and I agree that it can be a waste of money unless you go for something specifically. And like someone mentioned earlier, it's like now that everyone goes and gets degrees, you're not even guarenteed good jobs anymore.
Sometimes you develope a passion for something after you begin classes. There's not even a guarantee you'll land a position at UPS. The degree simply opens a lot more doors.

helenofcalifornia

For serious, my boy got turned down at McDonalds because he couldn't speak Spanish. Well, they didn't tell him that but everyone there spoke Spanish and he didn't. So even McDonald's isn't a sure bet in today's world. And regarding college, I found it wasn't what you learned in class, but the people you met and experiences you had that proved the most educational. Kinda like traveling. You learn more outside than inside. In which case UPS drivers should be the smartest people around, right??!! Wannabe, you just keep plugging on, you still have a couple of years to go and you are asking the right questions to the right people in your researching a job at UPS. You ARE a smart boy. I sucked at math too. Either you get it or you don't. I had an algebra teacher who told us we would be using Algebra every single days of our lives. Yeah, right. Sorry for being long winded.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"I wonder if McDonalds ever gets tired of being referred to as the very last resort to earning money or the place where all slackers should end up lol."

Canon.....I think McD's is off the bottom rung of the ladder since the Super Bowl ad with Federline (loser) working at Taco Bell. Now the chihuahua is 'chump'.

Cementups

Box Monkey
On a search I looked up it said that in the future UPS and Fed ex drivers would be in demand because there will always be packages to be delivered.

As long as there is internet, catalogs andother means of mail order shopping there will always be jobs for people who deliver stuff. I don't see UPS shutting it's doors tomorrow. UPS n the USA can't exactly outsource it's delivery drivers to Korea.

trickpony1

UPSWannabe-
Just a suggestion..........
If you can, try to find one of our package cars that happens to be in your neighborhood. If you will look real close at the seat the driver sits on I think you will notice it is, essentially, a solid steel post the attaches to the body/frame. No air shock, no pneumatics, no anything.
The energy of every bump, expansion crack, egress and regress that the vehicle hits is transfered up through that post to your hips, spine/back and neck. Think about the accumlative effects of this and ask yourself, "where do I want to be in 20-25 years?
This is just a suggestion.....you can do what you want. :thumbup1:

canon

"I wonder if McDonalds ever gets tired of being referred to as the very last resort to earning money or the place where all slackers should end up lol."

Canon.....I think McD's is off the bottom rung of the ladder since the Super Bowl ad with Federline (loser) working at Taco Bell. Now the chihuahua is 'chump'.
I didn't see the ad.
McDonalds needs to jump on this opportunity to set in concrete the new low. Maybe a few commercials where the McD's employee is whining about getting hot grease on his hands, and is yelled at by other employees that if he doesn't like it he can go fold tacos at the bell.

lol, I'm going to see if there's a mcdonalds forum.

The only problem is I don't know where I want to be in 20-25 years. Heck, I hardly know where I want to be now.
Get a part-time job at UPS while you start taking classes. Right out of highschool, college wasn't for me either. After 4 years in the military, I changed my mind. After 5 years of part-time college and 2 part time jobs at ups, full-time stability became a necessity because of a newly aquired mortgage. Nine years later, and I'm wishing I finished college.

Stay out of debt and the bigger paying jobs won't be such a necessity. You can pick something you actually enjoy doing... even if it means a career change when you're over the hill. Of course, a degree would help with the ability to do such a thing.

satellitedriver

$65k-$70k+ is average for a package driver. I have heard of feeder drivers make upwards of $100k/year, but they seem o trade that for no family or personal life.

UPS offers up to $23k tuition reimbursement here for FT or PT employees and they will try to work around your class schedule.

I would recommend going to UPS and being able to make a pretty decent pay as a PT ad go to school in your off time at your local community college. For the $23k you should easily be able to acquire at least a bachelor's degree. If at 20 1/2 you decide you still want to be a driver, sign a bid list and try and qualify as a driver.
Good advice. I hope he considers it.

canon

lol, I'm going to see if there's a mcdonalds forum.

Update: There is. Here's the first post I read in the forum.
Mcdonalds Forum
Forum and message board for Mcdonalds
Start a New Discussion »
Mcdonalds News | Mcdonalds Forum

Topic Updated Last Comment By Comments
Hate mcdonalds? Complain about mcdonalds?

Well seriously, stop the complaining, I am a McDonald's employee and I am tired of customers coming up and saying "You left the pickles on my burger", well, you need to get a d*** life and use your hands and pick up the pickle. And duh, eating mcdonald's 3 times a day, 7 days a week will make you fat. People also complain about "employees lying about ingredients", well, we don't know the god d*** ingredients! The stuff comes boxed and frozen, we don't make the fries on the spot! Seriously, stop your god d*** complaining, if you don't like mcdonalds, or complain about mcdonalds, then just stop eating the food. I truly don't care. I'm 14 and this is the only job I can get, and it wouldn't be so bad if customers would have something better to do than complain about the food that you choose to eat..we don't force you to ingest fries and burgers, do we?

Definately going to switch to using Taco Bell as a source for the new low. I dont' want this kid after me.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The only problem is I don't know where I want to be in 20-25 years. Heck, I hardly know where I want to be now.

which is exactly my point, I dont seem to realize that at almost the big 50 I dont know what I want to be when I grow up either. But I have been at UPS for almost 1/2 my life, and working since I was 17.
Some that go to college use it only as a resume, I really didnt gain much knowledge, Its just documented that at 1 time I knew it, But it looks good. I have a neice who has a masters who is not in my thoughts all that bright, but it looks good. I know people who are smarter than I could ever be with a 9th grade education and graduated from the school of hard knocks so to speak, but it doesnt look good on a resume. Its hard but not that hard, and you get a networking with people and learn discipline, and shows you are motivated, and you will learn things, and learn to anal-yze things, for me thats what it was, mostly an eye opener into worlds I never knew about. But my degree is old, but Im never sorry I spent the time, the money, or the sacrifice to get a degree. Any more unless you have a ba, its no better than a high school diploma, and what did you learn there, you couldnt have learned at home? But you have to have it.

lostintransit

which is exactly my point, I dont seem to realize that at almost the big 50 I dont know what I want to be when I grow up either. But I have been at UPS for almost 1/2 my life, and working since I was 17.
Some that go to college use it only as a resume, I really didnt gain much knowledge, Its just documented that at 1 time I knew it, But it looks good. I have a neice who has a masters who is not in my thoughts all that bright, but it looks good. I know people who are smarter than I could ever be with a 9th grade education and graduated from the school of hard knocks so to speak, but it doesnt look good on a resume. Its hard but not that hard, and you get a networking with people and learn discipline, and shows you are motivated, and you will learn things, and learn to anal-yze things, for me thats what it was, mostly an eye opener into worlds I never knew about. But my degree is old, but Im never sorry I spent the time, the money, or the sacrifice to get a degree. Any more unless you have a ba, its no better than a high school diploma, and what did you learn there, you couldnt have learned at home? But you have to have it.

Nice post, sad but all too true!

satellitedriver

I totally agree with your post. I was on my own at 17 working 50 hours a week and pulling 12 hours at college. The best thing I learned at U of H was the name of my future and present wife.

P

pickup

Hello, I'm new here, and I'm actually not a UPS worker. But, I want to be a UPS worker in the future. You see I'm only 16 right now. Everyone thinks I should go to college, but my dad doesn't think it's necessary. He says there are alot of good jobs that pay good money that don't require college. He said UPS truck drivers get paid well, but I want to be a delivery driver. College just doesn't appeal to me at all. I wanted to do concept art for video games, but first you have to go to school, which is quite a bit of money, then for the actual jobs, I'd have to move a few states away to work in a studio. Unfortunatley I like it here. So I started looking for other career choices.

I think that being a UPS guy would be awesome. Staying close to home, driving the truck, making people happy when they get their parcels. I don't know if anyone will get mad at me here, as I do not know much about what a UPS driver has to do. It may be hard work, but even still, it just seems like something I'd like to do. I've been trying to find out information, and when I found this place it was a relief. I hope to learn alot here.
Sorry for writing so much.

So, over 6 years later, what happened, kid ? , or should I say "adult" ? or should I say Mr. UPS PACKAGE CAR DRIVER?