Hello! New Driver with some questions!

3inBRWN

Hello guys and girls,
I recently completed my drivers classes and had a question about my pay if and when I preload.

I was told by my driving sup that if I'm preloading I would still be on driver pay because I'm a driver now. But, our AM Sup said If I'm preloading, I'm on preload pay. Anyone have any exp. with this?

I searched for it in the search bar, but couldn't find much.

I know I'll be driving soon, and that I'll mostly be part time/cover driving and I'm ok with that, we are losing two drivers just before Holiday/winter so I'll be driving full time by thanksgiving and hopefully sooner if I can kick some ass.

Thanks guys!

I look forward to spending more time here and with this company!

3inBRWN

How long have you worked preload?

I was preloading for 3 weeks. I was the only person that wanted to drive after they let a former driver go. We have slowed down from what I've been told, but they'll need another full time driver ready to go before these 2 retire. I was told they want me trained now so when we do need there routes filled, I'm next in line and already comfortable on the road. we are a smaller hub so our seniority list is very small.

Got very lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

I was preloading for 3 weeks. I was the only person that wanted to drive after they let a former driver go. We have slowed down from what I've been told, but they'll need another full time driver ready to go before these 2 retire. I was told they want me trained now so when we do need there routes filled, I'm next in line and already comfortable on the road. we are a smaller hub so our seniority list is very small.

Got very lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

3inBRWN

I don't believe you

I've seen people trade babies for full time slots

lol from what I was told from my driving sup was that the sign up list was out and no one signed it, the available options that COULD have driven, one failed the road test(I don't know how) which caused them to come to me.

All in all, I had my DOT Physical and road test done on the same day they asked me, and was sent off to school on monday night. Had about 3 days notice.

Patsash2010

If ypu are a cover driver, you r paid by whatever job u r performing. So if you work 4 hours preload, then drive, you will be paid for 4 hrs pf preload pay and then however many hours you drive is driving pay. If you are ft driver, idk.

3inBRWN

If ypu are a cover driver, you r paid by whatever job u r performing. So if you work 4 hours preload, then drive, you will be paid for 4 hrs pf preload pay and then however many hours you drive is driving pay. If you are ft driver, idk.

That makes sense, thanks!

By The Book

That makes sense, thanks!
Depends on your supplement in your contract. You should call your local union office and ask to speak to your business agent. While on the phone ask if they have any extra contract books, I don't think you have one. In some locals you are paid at the higher rate of pay, all day, unless when you drive you only handle air packages. An example is if delivery pay is 18.75, and preload pay is 10.50, you get 18.75 all day if you deliver ground packages.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Depends on your supplement in your contract. You should call your local union office and ask to speak to your business agent. While on the phone ask if they have any extra contract books, I don't think you have one. In some locals you are paid at the higher rate of pay, all day, unless when you drive you only handle air packages. An example is if delivery pay is 18.75, and preload pay is 10.50, you get 18.75 all day if you deliver ground packages.
He can't possibly be union.

He's worked at ups for 3 weeks