Hello-preloading tips!

Orange.tiger

Hi there,

I was hired last week as a preloader. Today was my third day of work, packaging all the boxes onto the trucks.
I have a few questions in regards to technique:

Right now my manger has me on the end of the conveyor belt doing 4 trucks. Since its at the end of the belt though, I don't have to worry about missing them and backing up people behind me. I've been improving in terms of rate and speed but my supervisor keeps telling me that:
-I'm not moving fast enough
-I'm spending too much time on the trucks

I am doing my best, but grabbing packages for four different trucks and having to circle/mark the truck number on the label is a hassle. I also waste too much time figuring out where to put the boxes on the shelves since she stresses that they MUST be in order. Also the "Chinese markers" (which are a glorified crayon, only more brittle) constantly go dull or break, making me become even slower!

Anyway, after only three days my supervisor tells me that "she is going to put me up on the belt" meaning I do have 1 less truck but I have to grab all the packages before they back up the people behind me. What is a good method for this since I get yelled at anytime I start stacking packages?

I think she knows I am trying, as I work through my break to catch up but everything I do seems to be wrong! I go faster to grab more packages, but I don't mark the labels/write the number on the box I get yelled at. I make sure they are in order with the number written on them, I spend too much time on the trucks. I make stacks since I'm falling behind, I get yelled at.

Just wondering if there is any tips or tricks! I'm trying hard, but when the drivers have to help me with my job I feel badly. They have to deliver/unload/decipher my mess, they shouldn't have to load too!

midwest brown

They will always tell you to move faster so ignore that. Have you made your 30 days? If so you can reply with I'm doing my best. As for being moved, I see packages go by people all the time, it happens as long as the person behind you isn't an ***** it's no big deal. And one day you will grab a package read the number and you will know where it goes without even thinking. Just takes time making it second nature. Hang in there

Cementups

Box Monkey
You're best is never good enough.

And stop working through your break. If you keep doing it they will expect you to do it all the time,

jcohen

Ottawa Preloader
I had the same issue when I first started, although I was loading the 4 heaviest trucks in the building but I at least didn't have to pull off the belt as I was on a roller line but the trucks were so heavy that the roller was almost always backed up.

If you're having issues with the crayons either grab more or forget about them and use a pen.

What I did to learn my trucks was when I wrote down the sequence numbers of each section and taped them to the shelf the same way as the load chart so that way I could go into the truck with multiple packages and load them.

You could also sequence, sort and place the packages onto the bumper and when you get a chance take a few of themand start loading but unless you have to avoid going into the truck with just package.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Ask Upstate. I understand he preloaded for around 8 years before going full time. He should have all kinds of tips learned from all that experience!:happy2:

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Hi there,

I was hired last week as a preloader. Today was my third day of work, packaging all the boxes onto the trucks.
I have a few questions in regards to technique:

Right now my manger has me on the end of the conveyor belt doing 4 trucks. Since its at the end of the belt though, I don't have to worry about missing them and backing up people behind me. I've been improving in terms of rate and speed but my supervisor keeps telling me that:
-I'm not moving fast enough
-I'm spending too much time on the truck

until you've been here at least 2 months, that's fine normal

I am doing my best, but grabbing packages for four different trucks and having to circle/mark the truck number on the label is a hassle. I also waste too much time figuring out where to put the boxes on the shelves since she stresses that they MUST be in order. Also the "Chinese markers" (which are a glorified crayon, only more brittle) constantly go dull or break, making me become even slower!

just keep getting everything in order, especially 1/2/3/4 sections. 5-8, floor stops can be crammed together.

Anyway, after only three days my supervisor tells me that "she is going to put me up on the belt" meaning I do have 1 less truck but I have to grab all the packages before they back up the people behind me. What is a good method for this since I get yelled at anytime I start stacking packages?

stacking packages is better than missing them. they're going to yell at you either way, you're better off with them stacked.

I think she knows I am trying, as I work through my break to catch up but everything I do seems to be wrong! I go faster to grab more packages, but I don't mark the labels/write the number on the box I get yelled at. I make sure they are in order with the number written on them, I spend too much time on the trucks. I make stacks since I'm falling behind, I get yelled at.

dont worry about marking the labels or packages while they're on the belt, just keep getting everything in sequence

Just wondering if there is any tips or tricks! I'm trying hard, but when the drivers have to help me with my job I feel badly. They have to deliver/unload/decipher my mess, they shouldn't have to load too!

better that you load most of it in sequence and they only have to load a little than going out on road and fighting a mess all day long

I think writing on the box with crayons is a waste. I pick and stick the spa labels depending. Even when you know the shelves perfectly, you should still move at a reasonable pace and keep things in good order. When you rush really hard, the only thing that comes out of it is misloading and putting packages on the wrong shelf, which can be just as bad as misloading.

Put heavy things and groups of boxes on the floor.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Never, ever stack any packages. jmo It's against the methods and only makes things worse. You'll end up handling everything 2-3 times, tripping over packages/narrow walkpaths, bending down twice as much for everything.

Let the misses go by, and your coworker(s) will grab them and cart them back around/dump them on return belt, or whatever the protocol.

I'm a little surprised a low-level part time supervisor would say otherwise, at least outside of UPS. Inside the operation, hypocritical talk is expected.

again jmo

Walk the line

Forget the custom loads. Load as the PAL number shows. Get buddy buddy with person loading after you, he may be able to help out with that last car or any that yoou miss. Once you make your 30 talk to your drivers to see how you can help them. After that its CYA!

Aiden

Hello. First off take a breather. Don't stress your self as Pre Load, else you will slow down even more.

To address the Crayon topic: I break mine in half, then peel the paper off. This way i don't have to worry about readjusting so i can write the sequence number. The other advantage of breaking the crayon is leverage. Because of the smaller size you can slide it in between your fingers when lifting an awkward or other wise heavy package.
Using this method i come home with crayons all the time now.

I'm not sure how big your center is or how long your conveyor belt goes.

My center's conveyor belt is long enough for 7 cars on each side.
I am at the head of the belt on my side with 3 (700-900) total package cars.
When i get to work i hit the load sheet up and set them in my cars. If you don't have one ask for one.
Find the bulk for the cars and remember their numbers and double check when you need to.
Bulk is going to be your main priority. That or 5-6 50lb boxes at once. If you load those individually(don't stack them) it will slow you down. Drop them to the floor and stack (Floor stacking is Ok temporarily).

All about pace. Don't worry about making the shelve boxes PERFECT 1,2,3,4,5. The driver has the sheets that tell them how many boxes per stop. Get it close to each other that is all. 1,1,2,3,2,3,4,5
Only right the number on the box if the driver cant see it and you know he won't.

Always keep your path walk able in the car.

What helps me up front when getting my packages is i split everyones first. I may see my box but i keep going until i hit the spa or in your case might be the next person's car.

I'm sure you can stack a few 2lb boxes on a 50lb box. If your super yells at you for that you need to file a complaint for harassment. If you focus on speed more then accuracy or location because you can't do both. Focus on speed. If you get it done quick enough and know your wrap up will be quick and easy, get in that truck and then start your organizing and labeling.

Number 1 thing to keep in mind is it's your third day.

Not sure how much my information will help you but I've only been with the company for 2 months.
Give it a week, your body will get used to it and your mind will just start mapping the trucks and the spa locations.

Good luck!

Robert91

Orange.tiger,

Relax man! This is a tough job and it can take a few months to learn it (as others have already mentioned). The most important piece of advice I could offer you is this - work hard and stay safe. I have been preloading for two years and during that time I have seen a lot of bad preloaders make it in (I was one of them). In my building, generally they only care about your work ethic and off-areas; Albeit, I'm sure it varies based upon the manager and his or her struggle of the moment. I made seniority with rather cruddy loads and a few daily off-areas. My p/t sup sounded a lot like yours, very discouraging and almost no respect for the trainee or his or her potential. The manager at the time let his friend/t sup make the final call; I was amazed that he hired me. Later on he told me that he hired me because of my attitude - he added that with a good work ethic, or attitude, you can learn how to load accurately and can improve the quality of your loads, but with a bad attitude, you never desire or are willing to do so.

I had a great sup, he was a natural leader who knew how to get the job done. If whomever is making the decision has their head screwed on straight, you should have nothing to worry about if you have a good attitude and show up on time.

I hope the best for you man!