hello

i stumbled on this site looking for information on the company, as I'm just going through the hiring process right now, so any advice...warnings... for a guy going in to his training period for driving

its a change of work for me, my last jobs bottom pay rate was the same as ups's highest..... I suppose it beats unemployment though.

oh, how do those old looking box vans handle handle in snow and ice?

klein

Für Meno :)
Welcome to BC (browncafe).

You'll probably work harder and longer hrs then your last job, too.
But, like you said, better then unemployment.

Snow and Ice :

They don't winterize the vehicle. Not even winter tires.
Never park near the curb in snow, or you won't get out.
I'm from Canada.
Trust me, in winter, with lots of snow... you just stop in the middle of the road, where you have traction. Deliver and move on.
Otherwise, you'll get stuck.

Depends how cold it gets where you are.
But, it gets to a point where the heat can't even keep up defrosting the windshield.
(keep vehichle running at all times).
Windshield also tends to freeze up just while driving.
Had to stop a few times, just to get out of the windchill (from driving), to let windows defrost.

It's a pain.
But, I'm talking minus 30 below here.

if this job holds me over until my Trade recovers from the recession, and I can actually find a job at it again, I'll be happy. I'd much rather make $30/h spinning steel on a lathe.

btw, if your still looking for work try world color printing, they're always looking for people. Their starting wages are 16-17/h range. I'd go there myself, but I burned down that bridge years ago when i was a younger dumber me.

the shop is at 184st and 114ave

klein

if this job holds me over until my Trade recovers from the recession, and I can actually find a job at it again, I'll be happy. I'd much rather make $30/h spinning steel on a lathe.

btw, if your still looking for work try world color printing, they're always looking for people. Their starting wages are 16-17/h range. I'd go there myself, but I burned down that bridge years ago when i was a younger dumber me.

the shop is at 184st and 114ave

I'll keep that in mind.
Years ago, I wanted to pay off some debt, so I took my vacation and worked "seasonal" for 3 weeks in a printing company.
Worked 12 hrs a day.
Paid me cash.... I was debt free after that.
And got some different experience too.

Thanks.

I guess you wouldn't know which shop you may work at.
Southside or Northside.
I got good friends (ex coworkers in the southside one).
You'll get along with them well.
Sups are probably worse then northside though.

You'll like the job if you get it.
Just cold and very stressful this time of year.

BROWN430

The trucks are not the greatest in the snow and ice. But if you don't let the hundreds of packages in the back get to you and cause you to rush, you will be fine. Don't get in a habit of running and gunning or you will be out on the street again. Slow and steady wins the race.

klein

The trucks are not the greatest in the snow and ice. But if you don't let the hundreds of packages in the back get to you and cause you to rush, you will be fine. Don't get in a habit of running and gunning or you will be out on the street again. Slow and steady wins the race.

Not true brown.
We hire drivers off the street here.
They get 3 months probation.
If they can't make the numbers... they are gone.
No reason needed here, to fail probation.
No union protection either.
It's your test period.

Just work hard, like you are used to. And all is well.

What Klein said sounds in line with what they told me. They give you two weeks of training then toss you in the deep end to see if you sink or swim.

Klein, do they get picky about making numbers when theres ****ty road conditions outside. Say after a fresh snow fall when the hole city just turns into one big traffic jam.

P

pickup

Not true brown.
We hire drivers off the street here.
They get 3 months probation.
If they can't make the numbers... they are gone.
No reason needed here, to fail probation.
No union protection either.
It's your test period.

Just work hard, like you are used to. And all is well.

I like your new avatar klein. Was the beach (in the picture) empty when you got there or did it empty out within a half hour of your arrival?:smart:

klein

I like your new avatar klein. Was the beach (in the picture) empty when you got there or did it empty out within a half hour of your arrival?:smart:

I am not there yet, leaving tonight.
Thats Pompano Beach. Thats where I'll be, besides in Hollywood and Ft Lauderdale.

Klein, do they get picky about making numbers when theres ****ty road conditions outside. Say after a fresh snow fall when the hole city just turns into one big traffic jam.

They are pretty lienient at first.
But, they expect more and more by the day.
Don't be worried getting fired before xmas (unless you have an accident).

The first 2 or 3 weeks, you are on easy street.
4 days in the office training (only pays $8.00 an hr).
Then 1 or 2 weeks training with a driver trainer (on road). $15 hr.

After that, the cold shower hits you.
Only thing you can hope for, is that they keep you in 1 area, and not switch you daily to another one.
It sucks to report in the morning, and not knowing where you'll be today.
And, if someone calls in sick, you'll be thrown onto that route, that you have never seen before.
And basically, don't even know how to get to it.

It gets frustrating at times.
Lots of out of town routes too.
I did Leduc.
But others are Spruce Grove, St Albert, Sher. Park, Wetaskawin, Camrose, Nisku, Devon, Calmar, Ft Sask, and more.

And unlike our american friends, we don't have edd, pas, or telematics.
You need to resort your own truck, and go by your own instincts how to deliver, and do it the quickest way possible.

Don't worry, after a huge snowfall or icy conditions, everybody is delayed.
And non delivered packages will be scanned at the center as "emergency conditions"
Happens every winter.

Like I said before, don't park in the snow , near the curb. Let traffic wait if neccesary.
Being stuck is the worst thing.

Last edited:

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

I am not there yet, leaving tonight.
Thats Pompano Beach. Thats where I'll be, besides in Hollywood and Ft Lauderdale.
If you want to be accepted by the local beach goers, there is a little known tradition you should follow upon arrival. It involves covering yourself in raw meat, wading into chest deep water, and thrashing about wildly while singing the American anthem. Rinse and repeat.

This will endear you to the native inhabitants of Florida and you will find that they will seek you out for advice, hanging on your every word. :wink2:

klein

If you want to be accepted by the local beach goers, there is a little known tradition you should follow upon arrival. It involves covering yourself in raw meat, wading into chest deep water, and thrashing about wildly while singing the American anthem. Rinse and repeat.

This will endear you to the native inhabitants of Florida and you will find that they will seek you out for advice, hanging on your every word. :wink2:

Actually, have different plans.
Set up a huge Cdn Flag, and re-claim it as my territory.
As a German and Canadian true native, I can claim land...
Tie can tell you, that the district (land) there in 50-75% native owned.

The bright side, I get to buy cheap indian cigarettes at thier little shacks they sell from.
And , even Cdn brand, too.

I'll make a treaty with them... :)

As I did in Texas :

http://www.simplyhired.com/a/local-jobs/city/l-Klein,+TX