Hello

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Bubble, sorry if I gave the impression that I would be rude after I informed them of not being there. That is not the case. But what is the case is that after I informed the center of my absence, it is not my problem what issues they have, or my job to solve those issues.

d

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
As a part-time preloader, I held a full time job at a local hardware store. I recall a conversation with the paint department manager, Mary, and the store manager:

Mary: " I will be taking these 2 weeks off for my 20th wedding anniversary."

Store Manager: "Well Mary, we'll have to look at staffing for that time and see if it works out."

Mary: "No...you don't understand. My husband and I are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary in Hawaii. I will be unavailable for work during this 2 week time period....End of discussion."

That woman was pure class!
Danny, is correct on the "slanin'" thing.
The way it works here is, the employee calls, gets sup on the line and says, " I am taking an option 3 day today. See you tomorrow. bye" click ...bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oh and don't answer the phone if it rings back right away.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Bubble, sorry if I gave the impression that I would be rude after I informed them of not being there. That is not the case. But what is the case is that after I informed the center of my absence, it is not my problem what issues they have, or my job to solve those issues.

d

I agree.
I was just trying to add the "give it back to them" angle.
They love to try and intimidate you into coming in when you call off.
I like to take that out of play early.
If they say OK, then enough said.

As a part-time preloader, I held a full time job at a local hardware store. I recall a conversation with the paint department manager, Mary, and the store manager:

Store Manager: "Well Mary, we'll have to look at staffing for that time and see if it works out."

Mary: "No...you don't understand. My husband and I are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary in Hawaii. I will be unavailable for work during this 2 week time period....End of discussion."

There is a HUGE difference in these two situations. More than likely the hardware store did not have a work contract with the Mary. Most places would not have let her come back to work after her two week absence. I hope they were able to work something out for Mary, but they did not have to do so.

At UPS there is a contract that is intended to protect the workers rights and guarantees certain things, i.e. wages, holidays, vacation time and the option week that has 3 options to choose from.

tracker2762

Sounds like the store manger was married to Mary.

I thought that was the whole reason for option 3, so you WOULD NOT HAVE TO SPLANE it to him.

But then as a practical matter, since you called in and stayed on the phone long enough for them to get mad..........

Phones are like the internet. You can always hang up. You control what you want to control. You decide how long the conversation will last. But most people dont, and allow the person on the other end of the line to dominate.

d

the building mannager started to ask me questions,her explanation "she can't have 150 employees calling and just say option 3" so i told her that my son was sick,she was asking me if there is somebody else who can take care of him(hellooo i'm the mother)so i went to work cause last year they wrote me for a similar reason and i talked to them and they told me that i had to ask them in advance before using those days...either way i went home and i lost that day.Today they told me that i didn't take option 3,they said i took option 1 but i'm sure i signed up for option 3,my supervisor thinks is a optional week cause it had OPW (optional week)on the paystub i told him to find the paper that had my signature for option 3,tomorrow i'll find out about it thank you all for you're help

Nimnim

The Nim
the building mannager started to ask me questions,her explanation "she can't have 150 employees calling and just say option 3" so i told her that my son was sick,she was asking me if there is somebody else who can take care of him(hellooo i'm the mother)so i went to work cause last year they wrote me for a similar reason and i talked to them and they told me that i had to ask them in advance before using those days...either way i went home and i lost that day.Today they told me that i didn't take option 3,they said i took option 1 but i'm sure i signed up for option 3,my supervisor thinks is a optional week cause it had OPW (optional week)on the paystub i told him to find the paper that had my signature for option 3,tomorrow i'll find out about it thank you all for you're help

They've done the same thing in my location this year in terms of option days. All the issues have been worked out with it, but they say it's a new way with the system and it's not classified as sick days but optwkperday or something similar. The first month was fun as anyone who took one ended up with at least 2 checks, One for their normal time, one for the option time, and a third one a few days later refunding any deductions that were taken out of the second check. Oh just noticed you're in Florida, so I for once know exactly what's going on. :wink2: My personal advice to avoid all issues is learn what time they're normally not in the office and call then so it goes to voicemail and you don't have to talk to anyone.