Hellow, I am a former FedeX employee who just filed a GFT

n0th1ng

I got 3 letters, and I don't think a 14 year employee should lose their job. I filed yesterday so I assume I won't hear anything.
My main complaint is that if a company who claims that their employees are important to them, they shouldn't let a 14 year employee get away so easily.

Express Courier

It's odd that I've never seen an employee getting fired or walked out or whatever. I just hear about it later. When do they fire people, at the end of their shift?

Anyway, back to the OP.. how'd you get 3 letters?

n0th1ng

It's odd that I've never seen an employee getting fired or walked out or whatever. I just hear about it later. When do they fire people, at the end of their shift?

Anyway, back to the OP.. how'd you get 3 letters?
1 weapons violation, which was a complete honest mistake, they didn't see it that way though. Someone gave me a lunch, forgot I worked at an airport and included a knife to cut the sandwich in half.
The other 2 were dropped containers, both empty.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Get a labor lawyer.
Now.

Exactly. Make no more statements. If they pressure you, simply refer them to your attorney. Most local ABA offices will have an attorney talk to you for free for 30 minutes. This generates business for them, but it also allows you the opportunity to talk with a professional and to ask how much it will cost to either represent you, write a letter for you, or advise you.

Never trust management, Corporate Security, or HR. The weapons deal may be a no-win situation for you, depending on how long the blade is. FedEx says 3 inches, but I've seen some much larger knives, and nobody ever says anything. Do you work at a ramp that has X-ray machines, and is that where they found the knife?

snackdad

Another question I need to ask is whether you have had any conflicts with a member of management lately. FedEx rarely fires you for what you actually did. They usually have some other motive unless it is a real blatant violation of policy. I agree with MrFedEx. Try to get a lawyer. Make a few phone calls to some. Look on Craigslist, the internet or the phone book. Google search where you live along with the words wrongful termination.
The GFT process is only a stall tactic for Memphis to use the time to have a FedEx Corporate Lawyer take a look at the whole thing to see if the company could be exposed or liable for something. I can imagine that these guys are pretty busy. Everyday there new cases filed against FedEx in the US, on local, district, and federal levels. Fred's answer.....hire more lawyers!

The Mayor

Just another factual tid bit here....out side of the United States Congress, Fed Ex has the largest gathering of lawyers on staff of any corporation world wide. Gee, I wonder why that is....the csmfb!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have no money. How will they help me when I meet with the company?

At least talk with a lawyer. Snackdad makes a great point. Have you pissed-off someone lately or made an enemy of management, or did you just get caught in a routine security screening? He's also right about GFT, which is designed for precisely the reason he described.

n0th1ng

At least talk with a lawyer. Snackdad makes a great point. Have you pissed-off someone lately or made an enemy of management, or did you just get caught in a routine security screening? He's also right about GFT, which is designed for precisely the reason he described.
Well when I dropped the container a teamleader whom I had bumped heads with previously is the one who reported me. But no problems with managment, but it s a fact my senior manager doesn't know who I am.

They caught the knife on the way out, not on the way in.

n0th1ng

I mad a difficult decision: I am not gonna fight my termination. I realize that even though I think Fedex is wrong, I am in a better situation without working there. Honestly even though I was there so long I was ready to leave. The hours basically sucked. I have no desire to be in management, and I can't become a courier because of a birth defect in my eyes that makes driving large vehicles like a truck difficult. I an on unemployment, and I signed up for school, I am on my way to complete my Bachelors in Information Technology. This is what I wanted to work in when I came to Fedex, but I quickly found out that a. people never leave and b. all the it services are in Memphis or Indiana. Plus 50% of what I made went to rent and transportation to work. Good riddance.
Also if I fight and some how win and get my job back, I am in the same ****ty situation I was in before, but probably worse now since I probably won't work or earn as much as I did before. If I tell them no I don't want my job back they might report it to unemployment. I am not trying to stay on unemployment for too long, but right now I feel like I can do better than where I was.

snackdad

I think you made the right decision and all of what you said is true. Management at FedEx is for those with limited education and or low self esteem. In order to do the things daily to good people that is required by upper management it takes someone with low character. We always knew that when we saw a good manager that they would never last. The good ones usually step down, find a better company to work for or transfer around quite a bit. I wish you the best in your new career and education goals.

LTFedExer

Also if I fight and some how win and get my job back, I am in the same ****ty situation I was in before, but probably worse now since I probably won't work or earn as much as I did before.
This is your choice. But, if you fight > win > get your job back, you set a precedent and then you can leave on your own terms, not there's.

Either way, good luck to you.

n0th1ng

This is your choice. But, if you fight > win > get your job back, you set a precedent and then you can leave on your own terms, not there's.

Either way, good luck to you.
Yes but from my perspective there is no way I can get my job back. It would be nice but I don't see it happening. I disagree with the policies of Fedex in general, not sure if the meeting is the place to bring them up.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I mad a difficult decision: I am not gonna fight my termination. I realize that even though I think Fedex is wrong, I am in a better situation without working there. Honestly even though I was there so long I was ready to leave. The hours basically sucked. I have no desire to be in management, and I can't become a courier because of a birth defect in my eyes that makes driving large vehicles like a truck difficult. I an on unemployment, and I signed up for school, I am on my way to complete my Bachelors in Information Technology. This is what I wanted to work in when I came to Fedex, but I quickly found out that a. people never leave and b. all the it services are in Memphis or Indiana. Plus 50% of what I made went to rent and transportation to work. Good riddance.
Also if I fight and some how win and get my job back, I am in the same ****ty situation I was in before, but probably worse now since I probably won't work or earn as much as I did before. If I tell them no I don't want my job back they might report it to unemployment. I am not trying to stay on unemployment for too long, but right now I feel like I can do better than where I was.

Long term, you're going to be happy you left. There is no future here at Panda Express.