Help! Can They Only Take Away Cell Phones from Part-timers ONLY??

@UpstateNYUPSer, whoa, sorry! I said " In my family, it is not "what can you do anyway" by leaving, but merely being there in a true emergency." thinking you were saying something about that instead of what you really said, which was my husband is probably basically stuck at work anyway if something did happen (however, they have let him go immediately which was extremely nice of them). Don't know where I got that one, but I read your post again and wanted to apologize for misreading it. I guess I'm more on edge and upset that I realized. Due to him being laid off with his full time day job, we only have one vehicle right now, which we aren't used to, and I am haunted thinking about an ambulance coming during a critical time and me not having any way to meet them at the hospital for hours until I can some how reach him (I know, I know). The phone was sort of my security blanket in an emergency. It's just been a very rough year for us. I should have known better about you anyway. Your avatar picture (is that Calvin or Hobbs?? I never could get it straight) shows impeccable style and taste. ;)

steward71

Tell your husband to file a grievance.
we did file and lost. it was going to the local panels and UPS and our BA stated no cell phones for PT's. we have had the great loss prev. sups take peoples cell phones and keep them. employee stoped me at the front lot and told me they just took his. he tried to explain to the sup that his sister was in a bad car crash out of stated and his mother had been calling to give him up dates. they did not care. he needed to the phone just in case he needed to hit the road to go to where she was. i talked to the super sup and she would not give it back. so i told him to call the local police and they did show up and told the super sup it was his by all of the info he had on the phone and if she did not give it back she was going to be charge with theft and not returning personal items that can be seen as his. she gave it back to him fast.

we did file and lost. it was going to the local panels and UPS and our BA stated no cell phones for PT's. we have had the great loss prev. sups take peoples cell phones and keep them. employee stoped me at the front lot and told me they just took his. he tried to explain to the sup that his sister was in a bad car crash out of stated and his mother had been calling to give him up dates. they did not care. he needed to the phone just in case he needed to hit the road to go to where she was. i talked to the super sup and she would not give it back. so i told him to call the local police and they did show up and told the super sup it was his by all of the info he had on the phone and if she did not give it back she was going to be charge with theft and not returning personal items that can be seen as his. she gave it back to him fast.

Wow.... just when you think people can't be any more heartless. I understand about rules but how awful. The sup could have taken the time to verify what he was saying if she was suspicious. You're gonna keep my $400.00 phone permanently? Don't think so. It reminds me of grade school. At least at the end of the day they give the stuff they take back to the kids and tell them not to bring it back. Sounds like someone got a little big for their britches but got reminded of how the real world outside their control works. I believe that when you treat someone that bad, God will put you yourself in a similar position one day....

raceanoncr

It reminds me of grade school. At least at the end of the day they give the stuff they take back to the kids and tell them not to bring it back. Sounds like someone got a little big for their britches but got reminded of how the real world outside their control works. I believe that when you treat someone that bad, God will put you yourself in a similar position one day....

Put very well, Wife. With some of the stuff UPSers are putting up with in the 21st century, it's amazing there haven't been more "postal" incidents. We've said many times that it's like being in Kindergarten.

Good luck.

menotyou

bella amicizia
OK, despite your dancing avatar and your fabulous Eleanor Roosevelt quote, I'm sorry- I just don't get the troll thing. I'm really trying... Kinda takes the zing out of it if you have to explain it, I know....
Http:/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=TROLL

Thanks, HelloWorld and Menotyou- I would NEVER have understood what he was talking about because it is just... well.... I'm not sure where he came up with that. I wish he would have answered why he said it. I'm not sure why someone would just randomly make a nasty comment. Does he think I just made this up? Why in the world would anyone do that? You go to these sites for info and support- thanks for being nice and making a bad situation better.

Sounds like there might be hope yet... the Union is working on getting the phones back and the signs at the guard shack saying "No Cell Phones" had to be removed already. I'm not holding my breath just yet, but the Union rep seems very hopeful. I'm still not sure what the heck happened or why it is ok now. Sounds made up to me about the Blackberry thefts- seems like a way to just get the phones away from the part timers to increase productivity (which it probably would). However, it might not because I have to say some of these people yakking/ texting on their phones will just find some other way to goof around to avoid working, though. Just be honest about why the phones are being taken if that is the real reason, though. As for the Bluetooth thing- it is only prohibited because of some new equipment I found out, not a security thing as far as I know at least.

UPDATE- My husband was just informed after some kind of meeting that upper management had with the Teamster reps that the ones who had the stickers that allowed them to carry in their cell phones into the building in the first place will be getting them back. The date for this is not know exactly yet but it is supposed to be decided. Anyone from the Charlotte hub that can shed some light?

brown_trousers

UPDATE- My husband was just informed after some kind of meeting that upper management had with the Teamster reps that the ones who had the stickers that allowed them to carry in their cell phones into the building in the first place will be getting them back. The date for this is not know exactly yet but it is supposed to be decided. Anyone from the Charlotte hub that can shed some light?

UPS does not have legal authority to seize personal property from your person. They can however perform a search and seizure of workplace locations, so for example, if you happen to leave you cell phone in a ODC desk, they may seize that phone. This subject has come up many times in various ways in law class. Here is an interesting document about the subject http://www.mml.org/insurance/shared/publications/leaf_newsletter/right_to_search.pdf

Wow, Brown_Trousers, thanks for the info. I don't know if you read this whole thread, but someone told about getting their phone taken away and then they called the police and the police made the sup give it back. Unfortunately, your great info about workplace legal restrictions and rights doesn't seem to match what I'm told can be done in the guard shack in my husband's hub! Unless you have your cell phone in your boots or in a, um, private area, they can search for it and then seize it. Sounds much different than the search of a work "area" like if you leave it on a desk or some other area that isn't your own body. Now, I do have to say that my husband doesn't try to sneak a phone in when told it isn't allowed and hasn't seen anyone go through a search, but that seems to be the common rumor. Honestly, I don't remember if he just heard that or it was officially announced. Hmmmm..... I do remember hearing about a poor teenage girl some where a few years ago who was STRIP SEARCHED at school. Poor thing. Unbelievable! Just goes to show you that you should know what the law says. Some sups may not know either and may get themselves in trouble by not finding out what they are doing is illegal!