Help i need answers

bigt714

I am new to ups i applied online for driver helper got my appointment went in the next day 2days later thursday was called for a interview at 11:30 monday does this mean i am hired pretty much what can i expect next is it a orientation or what

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Sounds good. They'll make sure your application is in order and will figure which area is easy for you to get to. Thanksgiving is 2 weeks away and they will need a lot of helpers quickly.

UPSGUY72

I am new to ups i applied online for driver helper got my appointment went in the next day 2days later thursday was called for a interview at 11:30 monday does this mean i am hired pretty much what can i expect next is it a orientation or what

You are going to be a drivers helper. Monday they go over your paper work and give you a uniform. Then they will tell you when and where to meet your driver each day. Are helper are starting next week I believe. Any good luck hope you like to work.

iowa boy

You are going to be a drivers helper. Monday they go over your paper work and give you a uniform. Then they will tell you when and where to meet your driver each day. Are helper are starting next week I believe. Any good luck hope you like to work.

We started helpers here this week. Our helpers only have to wear a coat, not an entire uniform, to be a jumper.

22.34life

dont waste your time,they will use you and discard you like a tissue.the truth is you wont work very much maybe 20 hrs a week and thats being optimistic.they wont hire you back after the holidays,and you wont even work everyday,sorry but its just the truth.

BrownArmy

Hey, but if you need the job, please show up on time and be ready to work. I know the pay is peanuts and the hours are at management's discretion (i.e. set aside the whole day, we don't know when we need you, but we totally need you...for two or three hours!), but if you get the job and decide to take it, do your driver a favor and show up!

Just don't be like one of my helpers last year...thirty minutes to an hour late every day and still drunk from the night before...

The pay ain't great and the hours may (and will be) random, but it's easy work if you're a good worker...

Good luck!

satellitedriver

dont waste your time,they will use you and discard you like a tissue.the truth is you wont work very much maybe 20 hrs a week and thats being optimistic.they wont hire you back after the holidays,and you wont even work everyday,sorry but its just the truth.
Thanks for that ray of sun shine.
I hired on as temp Christmas help and was told by the Texas employment commission that 600 people were competing for that position and not even try to get hired.
24yrs later,
I am planning my retirement for next year.

At least, this young person has put his foot in the door and is willing to work for pay.
What do you suggest? Have this person be unemployed and feeling better about themselves not being discarded like a tissue?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have been able to get two of my helpers hired permanently. They both busted their butts and their efforts were noticed and rewarded.

22.34life

I have been able to get two of my helpers hired permanently. They both busted their butts and their efforts were noticed and rewarded.

i also saw a guy who was a driver helper get hired on permanent,permanently PART TIME.this was a guy in his 30s with a family and he worked hard everyday they needed him and after peak he was hired in the hub p/t.when he was a helper he said i cant beleive that anyone does this helper job,he said he was embarassed by how little hours he could work.he worked in the building for about a year on twilight but then he quit after he got tired of chasing the carrot that he would never catch,some reward.

22.34life

Thanks for that ray of sun shine.
I hired on as temp Christmas help and was told by the Texas employment commission that 600 people were competing for that position and not even try to get hired.
24yrs later,
I am planning my retirement for next year.

At least, this young person has put his foot in the door and is willing to work for pay.
What do you suggest? Have this person be unemployed and feeling better about themselves not being discarded like a tissue?
how old were you when you were a driver helper,did you have kids,a wife?my point is that only a kid will have this kind of time to play the waiting game for a friend/t driver job.a grown man with a family has bills and a mortgage that has to be paid NOW not 5 or 6 years from now.ups should have more oportunity for friend/t jobs geting hired off the street in the building.you get what you pay for and thats why ups hub operations are going down the toilet.

whiskey

of
I had 3 hours of orientation in 1977. Not sure what kind of orientation they do these days. You'll have fun. Enjoy wearing brown.

how old were you when you were a driver helper,did you have kids,a wife?my point is that only a kid will have this kind of time to play the waiting game for a friend/t driver job.a grown man with a family has bills and a mortgage that has to be paid NOW not 5 or 6 years from now.ups should have more oportunity for friend/t jobs geting hired off the street in the building.you get what you pay for and thats why ups hub operations are going down the toilet.
How long have you been at UPS? Things were quite different 24-25 years ago.
There is a lot of truth to what you say as far as driver helper being a temp job and after peak is over, so is the job. Year after year as they began hiring helpers they told them about the hours, the pay and the fact that it is a TEMP job.
Personally I think the system they have for hiring FTers from the inside is the right way to do it.

Slowdog

I had a single mother jump with me one year. She worked her but off for me and didn't complain about the cold. I returned the favor and called everyone I knew and got her a part time gig in the area she was from. she drove 45 minutes one way to jump with me. least i could do.

22.34life

How long have you been at UPS? Things were quite different 24-25 years ago.
There is a lot of truth to what you say as far as driver helper being a temp job and after peak is over, so is the job. Year after year as they began hiring helpers they told them about the hours, the pay and the fact that it is a TEMP job.
Personally I think the system they have for hiring FTers from the inside is the right way to do it.
i have worked at ups 12 years and i just feel like the entire part time system is crap.i am lucky enough to be one of the blessed few with a fulltime job at ups.i think the selection process for friend/t drivers is right on and should be by senority intearnally but there should be more full time jobs available in the hub.you are right when you said things were quite different 25 yrs ago ,25yrs ago the part time system worked but now with a starting wage that has not increased since i got hired and only 20 hrs a week the part time system has become a joke even a college student needs more money than that.the student thing is way overblown,not very many "students" at my hub.ups wonders why they cant get quaility help and why these people dont show up for work,why would they.if you want people to treat this job like a priority you have to give them reason to treat it as such.