HELP!!!, ive never been so stressed, angry and miserable in my life!!!

SWORDFISH

We have a center manager like what your talking about. Funny thing is that he is out on stress leave right now along w/ another driver. I was out on stress leave in November. The harrasament got so bad for me one morning I laid my Diad down on the CMs desk and told him I couldnt work safely under this harrasment. I left work and went to my doctor and took a 2 week break to relax and get my mind clear. So that is defintly an option for you. I can also tell you the same thing everyone else is telling you. Do your methods, take your breaks, dont kill yourself your body wont last, article 37 in the contract you should read it, document everything in a journal, get the union envolved. I have been fired 6 times in 12 years. I have been fired and suspended for some of the dumbest things you can think of and it just ends up getting thown out because its harrasement. Its scary at first but after you win a few times you wont worry as much. You could ask anyone in my center they will tell you I get attacked if I lean against the wall wrong so I know where your coming from. Just remember its your responsibility to keep that stress from causing you to do somthing unsafe, illegal, immoral, violent or dishonest no matter what cause that will cost you your job. Last but not least read your contract and learning how to stick up for yourself will help has for me anyway. Hope I could help take care

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I've got a supe that is a big bully, as well. I have filed several harassment grievances on him and my center manager has finally taken notice, putting him in his place. Here's what you do. When the offender approaches you, announce in a loud voice that he/she needs to stop harassing you. This will draw onlookers who will witness this supes bullying ways. Loudly declare that you will no longer deal with that supe unless a shop steward is present. File grievances using article 37 "harassment, intimidation. Tell them that you fear for your life. I guarantee that this supe will stop bothering you.
Stug's statement may sound melodramatic Home, but he is dead on. I know. This is great advice. Use it.

NHDRVR

You need more than can be offered on a message board.

But for starters...work as directed, ask for help when needed, take your breaks.

Laugh at the numbers....

You can't be disciplined for performance....

What he said...

File the 9.5 relief paperwork, if you have it. After that just do what you can to work safe and try to peel the stop count back. I know you know this but we have very little as drivers that we can do to lower the stopcounts when they cut runs.

Good luck

Raw

Raw Member
You need more than can be offered on a message board.

But for starters...work as directed, ask for help when needed, take your breaks.

Laugh at the numbers....

You can't be disciplined for performance....

We are being disciplined for performance, seem`s in NJ the union dropped the ball and let it happen now all districts will capitalize. :greedy:

upsman68

Try to get some help and don't let the stress get to you. We had a driver in our district kill himself last week. He left a note stating the stress and the harassment got to him He actually named his center manager and division manager by name in the note.

So don't let it go to far. Prayers for you my brother :sad-very:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Try to get some help and don't let the stress get to you. We had a driver in our district kill himself last week. He left a note stating the stress and the harassment got to him He actually named his center manager and division manager by name in the note.

Wow, how sad. Kill yourself over a job. If it ever gets that bad, please quit, your family needs you.

Overpaid Union Thug

This thread could very easily tie into the thread about "Undercover Boss." Plenty of suits need to experience what those people have.....OH WAI! They already know that things are #$***ed up but could care less. It's all about the numbers!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Wow, how sad. Kill yourself over a job. If it ever gets that bad, please quit, your family needs you.
I don't think UPS is entirely to blame when someone kills themself. There have to be other things factored into the equation. If someone did kill themself over THIS job, they must have had many coping issues.

This thread could very easily tie into the thread about "Undercover Boss." Plenty of suits need to experience what those people have.....OH WAI! They already know that things are #$***ed up but could care less. It's all about the numbers!
You've got that right, brothah!

clueless

I don't think UPS is entirely to blame when someone kills themself. There have to be other things factored into the equation. If someone did kill themself over THIS job, they must have had many coping issues.

Agreed. Seriously. I mean really now, you have a choice between KILLING YOURSELF or quitting your job. No sane mind would choose the former. Sorry--I feel this man's situation is tragic, but no way a manager, company, co-worker, etc. is the cause of such irrational behavior.

Raw

Raw Member

You've got that right, brothah!
Steve is no Psychiatrist, he only plays one on Brown Cafe! :wink2:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND

Steve

Anyone that kills themselves has coping issues.

The problem is that for many people, their job is a serious issue to cope with. The job is responsible for paying the house payment, putting food on the table and clothing the kids. It pays for the car and the truck to get to work. The job is a huge part of our lives, and in many cases defines who the person is.

To have that threatened, or taken away, is a huge stressor, one that is very difficult to cope with. Couple that with a nagging wife who could care less, as long as the direct deposit is there every week, and kids who all have issues and needs, and the smaller issues now seem much larger.

Then you take an already stressfully, physically demanding job, one where you work 10-13 hours a day, give your best, and all you get in return is bs about how you laid down on the job?

Yes, there are days where some drivers need a kick in the pants to get their heads focused on the job. But to daily berate, belittle, besmirch, and bedevil a driver just because you are sadistic makes no sense. It instead is counter productive.

You get the same productivity from that driver as the Nazi's got from the prisoners in the camps, instead of encouragement, there is punishment. Threats instead of council.

People are right, we make more than the job is really worth, but what they dont see(or rarely see) is the head games and bs that people with too much time on their hands invent. With that extra love from management, no, drivers dont make enough.

Getting back to coping, people that kill themselves feel alone. They might have family, they might have lots of "friends", but they still feel alone. Add to that, the singling out by management of the driver for harassment and you have one of the most powerful tools to torture a person with. The feeling of being totally alone. And the sadistic manager thrives on exploiting that feeling of being alone and inadequate.

Ask anyone that has been a pow in the last 50 years what it feels like to be totally alone, with no hope of reprieve.

And that is when you have people that kill themselves.

Of course there are also times where a letter makes its way home to a spouse that is terminally ill, where the spouse kills themselves before they let ups discipline the other spouse for excessive time off to care for the sick one. In that case, IMHO, UPS was entirely to blame.

So please, dont make a blanket assumption that the person just lacks coping skills. They might very well have been dealing with more stressors that would have put others over the edge long ago. While UPS might not be the main cause, they do play a huge part in making the other stressors much larger than they need to be.

d

over9five

Staff member

R.I.P. driver.

I imagine both the center manager and DM will be transferred. Not much way they can still be effective where they now are, everyone must hate them (deservedly).

hdkappler

it's sad it had to come to this.thank god i'am retired.i would be afraid to be a driver today.1.it sounds like tempers are going to get out of hand.violance in work place etc.some day a driver or ups worker will get fired and walk into a center and shoot a center manager or div.manager.or take a ball bat to one of them.i feel sorry for the drivers wife and kids.if i was in that center i would be afraid of someone taking revenge on the center manager or div manager

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I think that was a very eloquent, and knowledgable post Danny!
And I wanted to say that you and others have helped me not be as stressed by simply coming here and seeing "hey Im not alone"
For some strange reason misery loves company seems to help.
Thanks to all at browncafe who share their struggles, and the love hate relationship with our employer.
And never be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

helenofcalifornia

Home, I would be interested to know what you have learned from this post and what you will be doing differently? A ton of good advice here. Hard when the target is on your back to not care about the numbers or comments made by the supes. I really think though that once you gain a voice against this *****, you will be home free. Each time you stand up to him, it will get easier. Are you the only one that is getting this treatment or are there others? Fill us in with what is happening. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tooner

You my dear, are a class act, a true woman in every good way the word has ever been spoken. I would be proud to be married to you, and in fact, the fine woman has been my wife for the last 39 years. And one of the people I would really love to meet in person from this site is you. You are, in all the ways that matter, a real lady.

But the stressors at home, be they sickness, financial, or family, are tough enough to handle if your management team try to assist in helping out. There have been times I had management that was that way. But when you add any issue, then compound that with a workplace you hate to even think about, much less go there, it becomes a nightmare.

I can remember trying hard as hell not to go to sleep on sunday nights, knowing that when I did sleep, the night would be oh too short. I would get there three minutes before start time, and leave the very second I punched out.

If not careful, the hatred of the job can consume a person. And that is where a person starts to think about ways out.

There are many of us that have been through tough times. It will and can get better. Deal with the things that affect you. And for sure, dont hang with negative people at work, they only make things worse

d