Help me quit smoking

P

pickup

The one good thing I got going for me is that before the first time I quit , cigarettes were my friend. After quitting for ten months and back on them, I don't like them as I did before.

upsdude

I smoked for 31 years, enjoyed every minute of it. I had tried quitting about 9 years ago, only made it a couple months. In February of 08 I had a horrible cold that turned into bronchitis. After coughing all night I took a shower,called in sick to work and headed to the ER at 530 AM. On my way to the ER I lit a cigarette and nearly choked trying to take a drag. I realized at that moment how much of an idiot I was for not at least trying to give up the smokes.

The doctor gave me some awesome drugs so I pretty much slept for the next 3 days. On day 4 I realized I had been surviving without my Salem Lights. A week turned into 2 weeks, 3, 4 and so on. It's funny, DS mentioned in the other thread how he would get major cravings around 830 every night. Same here, I could set my watch by them. I tried everything, gum, candy, popcorn, but what eventually worked for me was a trip to the garage every evening. I set myself up with some small projects and I'd go out and stay busy. After a couple months the cravings went away.

Roughly 6 months into my "quitting" i caved and lit a cigarette that had been on my work bench forever. I gave it a great big drag and preceded to get sick as a dog. Along came a horrible headache, upset stomach, and dizziness. At that moment I knew I had won the battle. The cravings are gone!

Keeping some unopened and 1 opened pack of cigarettes in the house helped me. You smokers know full well how much we begin to panic when the last pack has been opened. Knowing I had smokes if i needed them helped keep me relaxed. I threw them all away on the 1 year anniversary of quitting. I also told everyone I knew that I was quitting, I figured peer pressure would be a good thing.

Now, if my wife would just give them up. I'd like to have her around for a while. I also told her if she goes first I'll just use the insurance money for beer and hookers. LOL.

trickpony1

I used Nicoderm CQ.

The instructions state the patch can be worn 24 hours. I found it took the edge off in the morning when I woke up and needed a smoke really bad. But I didn't smoke.

The instructions also state the patch can be worn while sleeping but may cause very vivid dreams. I was REALLY enjoying those dreams!

After the first two boxes of patches (kinda expensive), I lost interest and quit.

That was 14 years ago. Today my sinus's swell up and I get a headache if there is cigarette smoke even close.

Good Luck!

3HrsOverAllowed

I used hypnosis. I haven't smoked in over 3 years and have no issues with cravings and never did. Hypnosis doesn't work for everyone, but for $70 or $80 its worth a try.

UPSNewbie

I only smoked for a year so my temptations don't come along all that often, but when they do, it hits hard. I broke down two days ago and had one. I was doing yard work with someone for the whole day who was smoking. That was my first one in about three months.

A friend of mine quit smoking after ten years. He went to the doctor for just some regular check-up, and the doc said "it's not quitting if it hasn't been a year. You just haven't had a cigarette since April."

That's a real good doctor. That breaks down the mental strength to hear that.

terrymac

july, 7 2008, a sunday just like any other sunday, I took my last puff.... I like smoking. I liked smoking. I am now a non smoker. chantix is great stuff, but dont get upset with peeing in a closet or having really vivid errrr, life like dreams, of various nature.................. not a puff

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Spoken like someone who has never been addicted.

I have smoked for 30 years - and hate that I do. I have tried Chantix, gum, cold turkey. I applaud anyone who has been able to quit - I guess I can't.

The withdrawals are unbearable to me.
I disagree, LTD. You don't have to be addicted to cigs, to know they are bad and to be able to see how hard it is for a smoker to quit. Smokers do stink, like it of not. They smell like cigarette, no matter how much perfume/cologne they use. I'm not saying this to be offensive, just letting you know how it smells, from this side of the room. While I'm at it, stop flicking those damned cig butts everywhere. Put em out and throw them into the proper receptacle!

You would think insurance would cover all of it. Think of the money it must save them down the road!

I have never smoked (cigarettes), but I'm there for you with moral support and good wishes.

Good Luck!
Same here. I'm astounded at the amount of UPS'ers that smoke, because there aren't that many smokers in my center. God bless those of you that are trying to quit. May you find the avenue you're looking for.

I'm pretty close to quitting...My heart cant take it anymore....Anytime I light up my heart seems to beat faster.....So I've got 2 or 3 more packs and im done
Till you stop smoking, or living?:wink2: Good Luck, Brother!

did u hang out with these guys in the 70s?
Hang out with? That's 9/5, on the right!:wink2:

Gotta think of something bad to say about cigarettes...booo on cigarettes..

Jerry Reed died of complications from emphysema at the age of 71.

kingOFchester

Please tell me how you got it covered! I looked on Medco, but it tells me that it is not covered. I even called about 6 months ago and they told me no.

I don't know how. I went to wal-mart and got it. Here is my Rx detail from that transaction:

6648261 Chantix Starting Month Pak 53 0.5/1MG
Date written: Oct 28, 2008
Approved Quantity DispensedApproved Days Supply Last Date of ServiceClaim Status5328Oct 28, 2008
Successfully Processed WAL*MART PHCY #10-6558280 Indian Run StWest Whiteland, PA 19341Phone: 484-875-9218

kingOFchester

and this is what I get when I did a search on Medco's site for the perscription:
XXXXXXX (Date of Birth: 07/10/19XX)
whdot.gif
pixel_000.gif
You searched for:
whdot.gif
whdot.gif
Chantix Starting Month Pak 53
Tab Ds Pk 0.5/1mg, Brand
Pfizer US Pharmaceutical
View drug information
Important: Please review coverage notes to see if coverage for this medication has any restrictions.

Medco By Mail Retail pharmacy Brand Brand Days' supply: 90 Days' supply: 30 Qty: 3 ; 53 Pack(s)Qty: 1 ; 53 Pack(s)Covered
View coverage notesCovered
View coverage notesYour estimated cost:$0.00Plan pays: $306.74
whdot.gif
Your annual cost:
$0.00Your estimated cost:$5.00Plan pays: $110.68
whdot.gif
Your annual cost:
$60.00

ups_vette

The year was 1956, I had just turned 16, got my drivers license, purchased my 1st car (1950 chevy), and bought my 1st pack of cigaretts. I had smoked a cig or 2 before, but I was now an adult (16) and ready to be a man. I had my car, my girl, and my cigs.

I had smoked my entire "adult" life, growing to a two pack a day smoker. In 2001 I had a heart attack and required two stents inserted in my artery. Did that stop me smoking? The answer is NO, I enjoyed smoking too much to let a little heart attack deprive me from the pleasure I recieved from smoking. I smoked a cigarette on the way home from intensive care, and continued smoking as though had happened.

Well, on April 17, 2007 I had a second heart attack. This time five (5) stents were inserted in another artery.
That did it. I quit smoking cold turkey and haven't had a cig since April 17, 2007. The fear of death is a great motivator.

I smoked for 51 years and enjoyed everyone of the 560,000 (estimated) cigarettes.

However, I do plan on smoking again. When I turn 73 in 2113 I will start smoking again so I can live out the few remaining years of my life enjoying the pleasure I receive from smoking. At 73 I will not have the fear of death that I had at 67.

P

pickup

I know this for a fact , everytime I see mechanic for brown's avatar, I feel like lighting one up. It's like looking in a mirror

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The year was 1956, I had just turned 16, got my drivers license, purchased my 1st car (1950 chevy), and bought my 1st pack of cigaretts. I had smoked a cig or 2 before, but I was now an adult (16) and ready to be a man. I had my car, my girl, and my cigs.

I had smoked my entire "adult" life, growing to a two pack a day smoker. In 2001 I had a heart attack and required two stents inserted in my artery. Did that stop me smoking? The answer is NO, I enjoyed smoking too much to let a little heart attack deprive me from the pleasure I recieved from smoking. I smoked a cigarette on the way home from intensive care, and continued smoking as though had happened.

Well, on April 17, 2007 I had a second heart attack. This time five (5) stents were inserted in another artery.
That did it. I quit smoking cold turkey and haven't had a cig since April 17, 2007. The fear of death is a great motivator.

I smoked for 51 years and enjoyed everyone of the 560,000 (estimated) cigarettes.

However, I do plan on smoking again. When I turn 73 in 2113 I will start smoking again so I can live out the few remaining years of my life enjoying the pleasure I receive from smoking. At 73 I will not have the fear of death that I had at 67.
Thats why I say it is a terrible terrible addiction. My husband had coronary bypass. He still fights it every day. He has went from going days without to a stressful day, and then its 10. His Mom and Dad, my Mom died of lung cancer, and it never leaves his mind but he fights it daily. I dont think he ever will give them up permanently. Of course it is not the only cause of heart conditions, but it sure does not help them. 1/3 luck, 1/3 heredity, 1/3 lifestyle, and there is only one of those you can change.
And by the way UPS VETTE, you will not be ready at 73 to throw it all away!!! I hope!!

P

pickup

I used hypnosis. I haven't smoked in over 3 years and have no issues with cravings and never did. Hypnosis doesn't work for everyone, but for $70 or $80 its worth a try.

Believe it or not, I bought one of the hypnosis c.d to quit smokng. All the talk about smoking made me take off the headphones and have a cigarette.:knockedout:

P

pickup

You wear glasses?

You know, I had to go back and look at mechanic for brown's avatar to see what you were talking about. My eyes always went towards the cigarette. I never noticed the glasses. I don't wear glasses, but due to not noticing the monkey's glasses, maybe I do need them.