Help me quit smoking

moreluck

golden ticket member
Somebody on here mentioned hollowed out bic pens cut to a cigarette length to puff on. Harmless and might calm those cravings of motion

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
What it all comes down to....you need to quit a vile habit and you don't need a 'substitute' bad habit. I smoked 48 years. I quit cold turkey.

Getting yourself out of the familiar situations where you always smoked is important. If you have your morning coffee at your computer with a cig. , then take your coffee somewhere else.

Distraction works and saves you money from buying all that other junk. I've been smoke -free since Sept., but I won't lie to you, I crave one every day, but the craving passes withing a few mins.

Good luck!

My friends who smoke don't understand why I still have the same pack that I bought in December. I told them to quit and see what happens when you don't have at least one pack laying around.

That's good that they taste like something. As long as they have a taste you'd get used to it. The brand you choose to smoke tastes good to you because you're used to it. No one does it for taste anyway. If people really smoked because it "tastes good" why then when you don't have a cig. and you bum one from someone, but it's a different brand, it tastes gross but you subject yourself to it anyway (just something to think about.)

Anyway, yeah...keep us posted. I'd love to hear some real world experience about those things. If nothing else, I think they would be a great thing to have around after you've quit, just to calm those random cravings
Thanks for all of this information. After I release my wife from the closet, I'll let her smoke some eCigs, while she reads Allen Carr's book.

She's really at the point where she loves smoking, but is looking down the road to where it leads. I'll keep you all posted on what happens here, as well. May I add that I think you all are doing a great job. Pats on the back, for all 3 of ya.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Stug

Please tell your wife that my stage 3 Ovarian cancer was sped along by my smoking. I'm sure there were other factors, but the smoking was a major one. I loved smoking, but it's not worth it and we always think "It won't happen to me".

Tell her you want her around to help plan all those weddings for your daughters.......you wouldn't be very good at it (no offense).

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Stug

Please tell your wife that my stage 3 Ovarian cancer was sped along by my smoking. I'm sure there were other factors, but the smoking was a major one. I loved smoking, but it's not worth it and we always think "It won't happen to me".

Tell her you want her around to help plan all those weddings for your daughters.......you wouldn't be very good at it (no offense).
None taken, and I think you're right. I'm gonna ask her to sit here and read this thread. In all honesty, this thread, and a few others, can be considered, lifesavers.

OldUPSDriver

I was a 40+ year smoker who over time started to suffer some mini strokes called "TIA's". I would suddenly suffer periods of blindness lasting from a few seconds to over a minute. I also lost coordination in the left arm and fingers. After an ultrasound of the carotid arteries they found a blockage in the right of 90% and another branch at 96% and was advised it was mainly caused by smoking. Got cleaned out and have not smoked since.

rod

Retired 22 years
I was a 3 pack a day smoker when I quit 18 years ago. I remember waking up one night coughing so hard I just about puked. That was when I made up my mind to quit. Looking back the first week was tough but all it takes is will power. To this day everyonce in awhile I will get a smell of someone lighting up and for a split second have that "urge" to light up again. I live in a state that outlawed smoking in any public place (bars and resturants included) and its amazing how fresh the air smells now- everywhere. Now the only coughing I do is once a year at my annual physical.:peaceful:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well I quit cold turkey lastnight...Had my last cig and decided that I'm done smoking

We are the carrier of choice for the NYS Smoker's Quitline. Income eligible smokers receive a FREE starter kit of Nicotine Patches, Gum or Lozenges. I haven't kept track but I would bet that I have delivered at least 50 if not closer to 100 of these since the program started, in some cases 2 or more to the same address (different names).

ML, I do hope that you are able to stick it out. Your lungs will thank you.

rod

Retired 22 years
We are the carrier of choice for the NYS Smoker's Quitline. Income eligible smokers receive a FREE starter kit of Nicotine Patches, Gum or Lozenges. I haven't kept track but I would bet that I have delivered at least 50 if not closer to 100 of these since the program started, in some cases 2 or more to the same address (different names).

So they have enough money for $50.00 a carton cigarettes but get free medical supplies? --- Whats wrong with that picture. I really hate give away programs like this. :angry:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So they have enough money for $50.00 a carton cigarettes but get free medical supplies? --- Whats wrong with that picture. I really hate give away programs like this. :angry:

I guess they (NYS) figure that spending a few bucks upfront may save them ten fold or more down the road.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I was a 3 pack a day smoker when I quit 18 years ago. I remember waking up one night coughing so hard I just about puked. That was when I made up my mind to quit. Looking back the first week was tough but all it takes is will power. To this day everyonce in awhile I will get a smell of someone lighting up and for a split second have that "urge" to light up again. I live in a state that outlawed smoking in any public place (bars and resturants included) and its amazing how fresh the air smells now- everywhere. Now the only coughing I do is once a year at my annual physical.:peaceful:
Good going, rod.

Well I quit cold turkey lastnight...Had my last cig and decided that I'm done smoking
Good job, ML, if you need a shoulder to cry on, or someone to holler at, feel free to PM me. I'm there for you, Brother!:happy2:

Give us an update on how it's going for your 1000th post.
Or sooner!

Amen to that!

Good call, rod.

John19841

Good for you. Just remember one thing, with every moment that passes you are that much closer to being independent of cigarettes. But, have just one and you have to start the process all over again. There is no such thing as just one. Nicotine starts to leave your body from the time you have your last smoke, It's a chain reaction. Your last cigarette is what makes you want the next one. Have the next one and fill back up on nicotine. You've already broken the chain, now just keep it going.

UpstateNYUPSer said:
I guess they (NYS) figure that spending a few bucks upfront may save them ten fold or more down the road.

That's actually a myth, that is costs so much more to the state/insurance companies for a smoker. There has been numerous studies (I'm too lazy to quote sources) that say that it actually costs less in medical costs for a lifetime smoker who gets sick and eventually dies earlier than the costs associated with living a longer lifespan and dying of old age.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's actually a myth, that is costs so much more to the state/insurance companies for a smoker. There has been numerous studies (I'm too lazy to quote sources) that say that it actually costs less in medical costs for a lifetime smoker who gets sick and eventually dies earlier than the costs associated with living a longer lifespan and dying of old age.

I stand corrected.

DS

Fenderbender
I stand corrected.
I love the new direction the bc is heading Mac! Me too Tosh,indubitidly me too!
I know this is a serious subject and I too am battling the nicotine demon.
The recent trend in politeness reminded me of these two little fellas from the olden days.Just a little levity and a reminder of the golden rule.

Gopher Broke

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
So, yeah..I've never been a fan of self help books; Never. I smoked for almost 10 years, just quit for good two months ago. Let me tell you something, Read Allen Carr's "Easy Way To Stop Smoking." I know the title sounds gimmicky, like every other "do something fast and easy"; lose weight, get rich, etc. but do not let the title mislead you.

I really don't know why this book is not more well known. Just google it, you will find nothing but stellar reviews from people who have read it. It really changes your whole mentality on the subject (this is coming from probably the most stubborn person you could ever meet.)

Anyway, I cannot say enough good things about this book, but you really have to read it yourself, and follow his advice (He tells you right off the bat, not to stop smoking while you read the book.) It's been two months for me and I've tried to quit numerous times in the past, this time no withdrawals, no cravings, nothing. From the last cigarette I had, I had absolutely no desire to smoke. I knew right away that I was done for good. No hypnosis, no scare tactics, no trying to frighten you with what will happen if you don't quit.

Anyway, just read it. I have it on the comp if you don't want to pay for it, but don't exactly know the rules about saying things like that here :wink2:
I gave my wife the book, along with her Mother's day loot, this morning. She is excited about reading it, and thanked me for getting it for her, as it will be her new bible for awhile. Thanks for the good idea, Ryan, and I appreciate all of the incite. I'll keep you all updated on her progress.:peaceful:

DS

Fenderbender
At my request,my wife bought me the book today.$20.99.
The cost of 2 packs of smokes...I'm halfway there.I hope.