Help me quit smoking

At my request,my wife bought me the book today.$20.99.
The cost of 2 packs of smokes...I'm halfway there.I hope.
HOLY SMOKES!!! (no pun inten...who am I kidding, pun intended)
That's double what they cost here. Well, I guess they gotta pay for that Nationalized health care somehow.

good luck with the book.

LiL"Comet"

I'm pretty close to quitting...My heart cant take it anymore....Anytime I light up my heart seems to beat faster.....So I've got 2 or 3 more packs and im done

Just remember what DS stands for...

DON'T SMOKE!!!!!

Hey Guys it's been a while for me here at BC ironically I'm posting on this thread !! I really enjoyed smoking for a number or reasons, it was relaxing, take the edge off etc...

I smoked my last Camel Crush that I absolutely loved on April 21 on my way to the hospital for my father in the ER. Stayed in the first hos. for 3 days then sent out to another Hospital to see if he was going to be eligible for surgery. He suffered from having 3 strokes with in a 24 hour period.

So now he is home with no miracle surgery to fix his arteries it's up to him to take care of himself with medical management. Eat right, exercise, blood press. down, and STOP SMOKING... all the things we should all do everyday. He has smoked for 40 yrs or more and loved it he is always smoking (2 pks maybe 3 day)

He has a long road to recovery but he can overcome it with reaching out for help and a continued fight probably from now own. I don't know for sure just how much of a % smoking had to do with what I have seen him go through and still has to endure but I do know I have three beautiful kids and I don't ever what to see them stand by my bedside waiting for a doctor to give me my chances, prognoses, etc. when I could have prevented it in any way.

There's a lot of different ways for people to quite " different strokes for different folks" If your a smoker you have to want to quite and then use what ever you can to help you. If whatever you try first then try something else good luck to all who want to quit :wink2:

P

pickup

Is this a Planet of the Apes reference? Cornelius, is that you?

No , it wasn't, but you know how it is "human see, human do" (line from the movie. When I see the smoking monkey, I want to smoke.

So take your stinking posts out of here, you stinking ape

By the way, no cigarettes smoked since friday yesterday night about 9:00 pm. east coast

small steps.

okay that was friday night , 05/01/09 , I lasted about 20 hours before succumbing. now for some good news in the following post.

P

pickup

I was a 3 pack a day smoker when I quit 18 years ago. I remember waking up one night coughing so hard I just about puked. That was when I made up my mind to quit. Looking back the first week was tough but all it takes is will power. To this day everyonce in awhile I will get a smell of someone lighting up and for a split second have that "urge" to light up again. I live in a state that outlawed smoking in any public place (bars and resturants included) and its amazing how fresh the air smells now- everywhere. Now the only coughing I do is once a year at my annual physical.:peaceful:

Now, the good news is as of 05/09/09, 11:30 pm eastern standard time, I had my last cigarette. So tonight at 11:30, I will have gone 72 hours without a cigarette. I learned something from my aborted attempt at quitting a week ago which shows one can learn from failure. I did try someone's trick at leaving a pack of cigarettes in my possession and that backfired. Indeed, if I had a pack of cigarettes in my possession right now, I think I would be smoking them right now. I am not saying it is a bad idea to have a reserve pack but it didn't work for me.

Now it took 87 posts before Rod delivered the above quoted confession/testiimonial. The fact that he was a three pack a day smoker meant he was hooked. Yet he was able to quit cold turkey. He mentioned will power. I guess I set up as much as I could to make the transition easier., ie. I washed my clothes and sheets and bedding and after I did, I made sure I did whatever remaining smoking on saturday outside. After I smoked my last cigarette, I stripped off my clothes and took a shower to get the smoke off of me.

Went to bed, got up when I felt like it . Been drinking coffee like a mad man to jump start my adrenal glands now that I don't use cigarettes . Although I don't need as much coffee now.

But the point I am trying to make is that I refuse to give the cigarettes any consideration. True , I took measures that should ease the transition but now whatever difference needs to be made up is the willpower part, as Rod mentioned.

I am especially focused on the first three days as here is some of the benefits from something I picked up somewhere .

Benefit of Becoming a non smoker"

Within 20 minutes

Body temperature of the feet and hands increase to normal
Pulse rate drops to normal rate
Blood pressure drops to normal

After 12 HOURs
pulse rate will slow and skin temp incr

ease
oxygen level in blood increases to normal
carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal

After 24 hours
Chance of heart attack decreases due to improved cardiac function and ciruculation
fine motor coordination will improve

After 48 hours
Never endings start regowing, therefore ability to smell and taste is enhanced

So that's in the bank because I passed these milestones(if you will)

72 hours is a big milestone, I'll post what that is tomorrow when I actually achieve it tonight at work. Thanks Rod, and others who I will acknowledge when my head isn't spinning(mentally a little unfocused but when I am moving or engaged in driving , I am okay).

I am going to refrain from posting too much for the time being as I don't want to be married to the computer. I need to be moving in order to be less likely to want to smoke. Hope you all understand. Ill post a little more over the next week to update and hopefully explain what worked for me. Probably over the weekend.

I see some typos but ain't gonna fix em, forgive me.

Hey Guys it's been a while for me here at BC ironically I'm posting on this thread !! I really enjoyed smoking for a number or reasons, it was relaxing, take the edge off etc...

I smoked my last Camel Crush that I absolutely loved on April 21 on my way to the hospital for my father in the ER. Stayed in the first hos. for 3 days then sent out to another Hospital to see if he was going to be eligible for surgery. He suffered from having 3 strokes with in a 24 hour period.

So now he is home with no miracle surgery to fix his arteries it's up to him to take care of himself with medical management. Eat right, exercise, blood press. down, and STOP SMOKING... all the things we should all do everyday. He has smoked for 40 yrs or more and loved it he is always smoking (2 pks maybe 3 day)

He has a long road to recovery but he can overcome it with reaching out for help and a continued fight probably from now own. I don't know for sure just how much of a % smoking had to do with what I have seen him go through and still has to endure but I do know I have three beautiful kids and I don't ever what to see them stand by my bedside waiting for a doctor to give me my chances, prognoses, etc. when I could have prevented it in any way.

There's a lot of different ways for people to quite " different strokes for different folks" If your a smoker you have to want to quite and then use what ever you can to help you. If whatever you try first then try something else good luck to all who want to quit :wink2:
Good post Comet, welcome back....missed ya.

P

pickup

Random musings:

Been drinking a lot of water to flush the garbage from my body. Don't feel acid reflux any more from which I read is caused by the nictone. Yay!!!! Drink , drink , drink water . I love water . I hate cigarettes.

P

pickup

indeed, comet , different strokes for different folks. So, what may not work for me, might work for you and vice versa. Take what resonates with you and run with it. Thanks for posting comet.

P

pickup

Pickup,
I have been off and on the wagon for years. Don't let past slips affect your spirite. Here is what I am doing this time around.

1) I told EVERYONE that I was quitting. This alone is helping as I really hate having to tell my loved one's that the nicotine is winning. Comunication with others who have gone thru withdraw and the like has also helped.

2) The last pack of smokes are right here with me now. On each remaining smoke I have written diffrent names of my loved one's. If I ever smoke again, I made a promise that I would smoke one of the cigs. It would be hard to smoke it knowing that these are the people I want to be around when I am older......which is why I am quitting. I want to be there for (and or with) my family.

3)I have it in my mind that at any point I can become a smoker. With in minutes I can be smoking. So when I get an urge, I think to myself, ok you can have a smoke anytime you want......by why not wait a few minutes and be sure that is what I want to do. I also tell myself that it took a month before I considered myself on the road to being a nonsmoker. It less then a minute i could throw all that away.

So far it has worked for me!

thank you koc

moreluck

golden ticket member
You know, if a couple people on here quit smoking because of a few discussions......that's a really good thing !!

This is a valuable thread and so very helpful to people struggling with a habit. :peaceful:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
You know, if a couple people on here quit smoking because of a few discussions......that's a really good thing !!

This is a valuable thread and so very helpful to people struggling with a habit. :peaceful:
You said it, sistah, um, I mean, Mom.:wink2:

Hey pickup! Does your girlfriend smoke?