Help me understand my local.

steeltoe

My local preaches about the unfairness of the current voter I.D. laws in many states, including mine. How it is some sort of travisty to have to prove who you are before casting a vote in a federal or state election. It is unfair to the elderly, the poor, etc. Let me see it done this way in our local union elections, and charges will be filed left and right. Heck, I was asked to be an observer during our last local union election. The first thing out of many mouths was how the current President hand picked the lead election official. I heard it day after day, so, and so is cheating. Dude, I was there, and I was observing for one of the slates running against the current President. Everyone was on the UP and UP. The election committe, which was hand picked by the current President, whom I did not favor, was one of the most honest people I have ever met, and did the job above and beyond.

Back to my previous thought. Why would my local be against the voter I.D. law, when in turn, they want a DNA sample for the local elections. You all know the answer. It is not about being honest and fair. It is about getting the people out to vote, even if they do not have to prove who they are.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I love my union but rarely if ever do I agree with them politically. I even agree with all that is being done to restrict the public unions. Everyone rip on me if u want but public unions are totally different from u and me. ( my mom the teacher would ring my neck if she read this)

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I love my union but rarely if ever do I agree with them politically. I even agree with all that is being done to restrict the public unions. Everyone rip on me if u want but public unions are totally different from u and me. ( my mom the teacher would ring my neck if she read this)
With good reason.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I live in NY and the teacher union officials and the public officials that negotiated these bloated, should-be-illegal contracts DEFINITELY should be replaced!

OptimusPrime

Because voter id laws are typically Republican packed, aimed at trying to intimidate impoverished people from not voting, mostly aimed at minorities. No friends of the Republican party.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Because voter id laws are typically Republican packed, aimed at trying to intimidate impoverished people from not voting, mostly aimed at minorities. No friends of the Republican party.

So, do you show no ID when you have to fly?

What do you show to a cop if pulled over?

You never cash a check ?

We need ID for tons of other things and it's made free for those who say they can't afford it while they drink their beer and smoke their cigs!!
So much B.S. for nothing!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We need ID for tons of other things and it's made free for those who say they can't afford it...

Actually non-driver photo ID's are not free (in New York):

If you do not drive, you may choose a short-term non-driver ID card valid for 4 to 5 years, or a long-term ID card valid for 8 to 9 years. The exact period of your ID card and your fee depend on whether you select a short-term or long-term ID and the relationship between the date you apply and the expiration date (your month and day of birth). A short-term ID card will cost between $9.00 and $10.00. A long-term ID will cost between $13.00 and $14.00. These fees include a $5.00 photo document fee.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Actually non-driver photo ID's are not free (in New York):

If you do not drive, you may choose a short-term non-driver ID card valid for 4 to 5 years, or a long-term ID card valid for 8 to 9 years. The exact period of your ID card and your fee depend on whether you select a short-term or long-term ID and the relationship between the date you apply and the expiration date (your month and day of birth). A short-term ID card will cost between $9.00 and $10.00. A long-term ID will cost between $13.00 and $14.00. These fees include a $5.00 photo document fee.

Making them free was a proposal because people were using cost as an excuse in states where there is no voter ID. It's what they were willing to put into effect to eliminate all the phony excuses people who want to appear as victims were making.
They still cried about being discrimated against.....how do they ever get on a plane or do business in a bank ????????????????

Bad Gas!

Without voter id we have too many dead democrats voting that could give Obama 4 more years and the US a 20 trillion debt total by 2016..You can write that down!

BrownBlue

New Jack
Really? Are they that different? We sweat cause of physical exertion, they from mental. Why are they totally different from u and me? They receive pay checks for their labor. This just boggles my mind, the statement about us being soo different that you would not afford teachers the same rights and privledges that we have. Remember an injury to one is an injury to all.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm not talking about teachers specifically I said ALL public unions. These people salary and benefits are payed for by u and me. In the late 80's when public union salaries started to get way out of wack with their private sector counterparts they then started pushing benefits and my oh my did they get some good ones. Let me give u a few examples I could o on all day about this but here is just a few. A prison guard can call in sick then call that night and see if they need help if they work they get paid as if it's overtime. Many public employees retire a year or 2 early because they have so much sick time saved up. Finally if u think it's hard to fire a driver try firing a teacher with tenure. In my experience most teachers essentially quit when they get tenure (not all some are very good) but a teacher that doesn't care is a disservice to your kid and should be let go. Unfortunately under the current system that's pretty much impossible.

moreluck

golden ticket member
moreluck, people who cannot "afford" picture ID generally don't take vacations or use check cashing services, not banks.

The thing is, they can fly to TX for a funeral or they drive a car.....or they actually go inside a bank. You need I.D. for all that stuff.

Not affording is no longer going to be an excuse when people volunteer to show up on your porch with a camera. The wackos will still find a reason to cry foul..

It already has been suggested that if you can't afford it and if you aren't able to travel, someone will come to your home to issue a FREE picture ID.

The only people who are really against Voter ID are the people who want illegals to vote. That's not legal and the ID will help alleviate that problm.

steeltoe

Really? Are they that different? We sweat cause of physical exertion, they from mental. Why are they totally different from u and me? They receive pay checks for their labor. This just boggles my mind, the statement about us being soo different that you would not afford teachers the same rights and privledges that we have. Remember an injury to one is an injury to all.

They as people are not different. I think the problem that some of us have is that fact that the decision maker concerning contract negotiations is an elected official. Do you not believe that we would have even better contracts if we negotiated with an elected official that we supported into the elected position? If the Teamsters negotiated with an elected official that we gave money to, how long do you think UPS would be in business? it is a very simple concept. The elected official is always going to go with who brought him to the dance. Yes, there is a small risk in losing the next election by over paying the public sector, but once the majority are on the meal wagon, they will continue to re-elect the same officials, until they are done wrong by that official.

The bottom line is that there is no way UPS could stay in business if we the workers voted in the decision makers when it comes to contracts.

RedThunder

The thing is, they can fly to TX for a funeral or they drive a car.....or they actually go inside a bank. You need I.D. for all that stuff.

Not affording is no longer going to be an excuse when people volunteer to show up on your porch with a camera. The wackos will still find a reason to cry foul..

It already has been suggested that if you can't afford it and if you aren't able to travel, someone will come to your home to issue a FREE picture ID.

The only people who are really against Voter ID are the people who want illegals to vote. That's not legal and the ID will help alleviate that problm.

How do you actually get your head that far up your.....?

Point me to a story about the massive voter fraud being perpetrated by illegal immigrants. If it's that big a problem why didn't the GOP require a voter id in Iowa, where they get to set all the rules for their primary?
Why do you think that an illegal can't get an ID? It's voter suppression, pure and simple. It's not that the GOP want to actually turn people away at the poll, although they would, they want to make it so you don't even try to vote. Your no threat if your sitting at home and saying "Ah, it's no use, wont' make a difference, they wouldn't let me vote anyway".

steeltoe

How do you actually get your head that far up your.....?

Point me to a story about the massive voter fraud being perpetrated by illegal immigrants. If it's that big a problem why didn't the GOP require a voter id in Iowa, where they get to set all the rules for their primary?
Why do you think that an illegal can't get an ID? It's voter suppression, pure and simple. It's not that the GOP want to actually turn people away at the poll, although they would, they want to make it so you don't even try to vote. Your no threat if your sitting at home and saying "Ah, it's no use, wont' make a difference, they wouldn't let me vote anyway".

RedThunder, I do not agree with illegal allien voting being a problem. What I do have a problem with is that voting is a very precious concept in a Democratic Republic. Why would you not value your own identity when casting your vote. Anyone could show up at the polls and claim they are you, and cast their vote the way they want, instead of the way you want. Sure, anyone could obtain a fake I.D. and claim they are you, but that is an extra step in the process. I value my vote with the utmost of respect. It is my vote. I should want to prove who I am before I cast my vote. To me, it does not matter why the left and the right believe if there should be voter I.D. I as a citizen of this great nation want my vote to be counted, and cast by me, and me only. Why would you want any different?

Back to my original thought. Can you go to your local and request an extra balllot? I can assure you, I know the answer to the question. No. Would you feel just a comfotable about our local union elections if you could just walk up and cast a vote, or receive an extra ballot. I think we all know the answer to that question.

I am in no way trying to put you down. I am just looking at it from a personal perspective. Do you not value your vote in any election to prove who you are so that some one else can not place your vote?

union4life

Can you go to your local and request an extra balllot? I can assure you, I know the answer to the question. No. Would you feel just a comfotable about our local union elections if you could just walk up and cast a vote, or receive an extra ballot. I think we all know the answer to that question.
What kind of "ballot" are you referring to?