help me understand

thebrownangel

I went utility driving for six days in October and was told I would be driving for peak but they hired 3 other preloaders. that had never been driving before. My shop steward said I have more seniority even though they were hired a couple months before me because I went driving and I need to grieve it. Is this correct ?

Rainman

Its all good.
I went utility driving for six days in October and was told I would be driving for peak but they hired 3 other preloaders. that had never been driving before. My shop steward said I have more seniority even though they were hired a couple months before me because I went driving and I need to grieve it. Is this correct ?
The shop steward knows the contract best. Trust him/her. You never lose out on anything by filing a grievance, but you may lose out if you don't.

thebrownangel

Thanks. We have 3 stewards and only one says this is the case. When I asked management why they didn't hire me they told me they go off of how long your name was on the utility list. I thought it doesn't matter how long just that your on, when you were hired, and if and how long you have driven for. I don't want to look like an idiot or cause trouble,just need correct info.

thebrownangel

My seniority date is 4/3/13,theirs is only a couple months before mine, but im the only one who had been driving as a utility driver, so I should have been asked to go out first, right? we went through drivers school at separate times within the last few months

upssouth

If you are all part time employees, since they were hired before you they would have the opportunity to drive first. If your a TCD, driving is based off who is the most senior employee according to hire date. It has nothing to do with who has been driving longer, even if mgmt says so.

By The Book

My seniority date is 4/3/13,theirs is only a couple months before mine, but im the only one who had been driving as a utility driver, so I should have been asked to go out first, right? we went through drivers school at separate times within the last few months
Sometimes a part-time employee when asked to drive is unable to for whatever reason and they move on to the next one by seniority. Your seniority will dictate who goes to driving class next and who will be a driver based on their seniority. Your first day of delivering ground pkgs will be the date your progression starts if you have been thru the class. You should have been paid two separate rates of pay if you drove after your preload shift. Did you go to driving class after the other part-timers in question?