Help, need answers! Thanks

TheSaxon

I'm currently a Package Handler at a HUB in the state of Florida. My main objective is to be a Package Car Driver. The HUB that I am at currently has an average of 7-10 year wait for a driving spot. Mainly because the HUB is huge. I would like to find another HUB somewhere else where the wait is way shorter. Here's my problem, I've already picked out some HUBS I'd like to get information from and find out what the wait is there, BUT there's no way to contact them! They are all 800 robotic service numbers, you can't get a hold of anyone connected to the HUB. I've even tried calling UPS Stores in the area to see if they had a number of someone by chance. SO, how can I get a hold of another HUB, talk to someone, and get some information on their HUB, and info on the driving wait. Thanks for reading, please help asap!

HomeDelivery

that's a valid question...

in my state, the waiting period differs

southern parts of my state has friendlier customers, nicer roads, and waiting period at my brothers Hub at UPS is similar to your hub.

then, i found out recently, through bumping into local UPS drivers in the northern parts of the state that it's almost a revolving door with a waiting period of only 1-2 years from an off-the-street hire, temp driving position

because the traffic sucks & there's more "ghetto areas" or " no-DR areas" than the southern parts of the states...

Nimnim

The Nim
You're in Florida, and have a 7-10 year wait. I'm going to doubt you're in the Orlando hub since it's looking to be 10+ here, but I can see an optimistic view of the wait giving 7-10. The inside phone numbers are hard to come by so it helps to say which locations you're trying to get in touch with. There are quite a few facilities here in Florida and I know there's a few people on here in Florida, but it'd help us to know which facilities you're trying to get info on.

upschuck

Not in Fl, but our HR number is posted on the internet, I would think that that would be everywhere, but I guess not. No wonder they have a hard time properly manning sorts, and have to use sups. lol

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
7-10 could quickly become 3-4 years or 12-15 years. I have rarely seen people transfer to drive quicker and it actually work out well.

Your best bet is to stay where u are and wait it out. Hopefully you'll have mass retirements soon or a growth spurt in the area with the economy improving.

Johney

I don't see how contacting any hub or center directly will get you anything about wait times to become a driver. I think you'd have better luck calling the local union hall where you want to go.

browndingo

Before you go looking to transfer you should get a better idea of the actual situation at your own hub. You need to talk to some drivers. Find out who's getting ready to retire or move.

My center opened in the early 1970s and almost all the drivers were hired new off the street. Some part timers waited over 12 years for a driver position to open, but then that first wave of drivers started hitting the 35-year mark a few years ago and we had about a third of the total drivers retire over about 2 years. Not only did the guys who had been waiting 12 years move up, but so did a couple with only a year in. It's not usually a steady pace.

TheSaxon

You're in Florida, and have a 7-10 year wait. I'm going to doubt you're in the Orlando hub since it's looking to be 10+ here, but I can see an optimistic view of the wait giving 7-10. The inside phone numbers are hard to come by so it helps to say which locations you're trying to get in touch with. There are quite a few facilities here in Florida and I know there's a few people on here in Florida, but it'd help us to know which facilities you're trying to get info on.
In a perfect world I'd like to get ahold of the HUB in Augusta Georgia

TheSaxon

Before you go looking to transfer you should get a better idea of the actual situation at your own hub. You need to talk to some drivers. Find out who's getting ready to retire or move.

My center opened in the early 1970s and almost all the drivers were hired new off the street. Some part timers waited over 12 years for a driver position to open, but then that first wave of drivers started hitting the 35-year mark a few years ago and we had about a third of the total drivers retire over about 2 years. Not only did the guys who had been waiting 12 years move up, but so did a couple with only a year in. It's not usually a steady pace.
So many guys are sitting on the job and few retirements are coming, we have guys in our HUB that have been waiting 9 - 10 years for that spot, it's only because the HUB is so big.

TheSaxon

Thank you guys for all the replies! Really appreciate the help!! I'm not to sure why the HUBs are so hard to get a hold of! I worked at a small country hub in tennessee for a year and just came to a HUB in jacksonville fl... I had no clue the wait would be so large and so many people in line, but now that I've learned I'd like to go back to a smaller country hub where the wait was way less. I think my main issue here is just finding out the info.. SO how do I do this? Please keep the answers coming, anything helps.

I'm currently a Package Handler at a HUB in the state of Florida. My main objective is to be a Package Car Driver. The HUB that I am at currently has an average of 7-10 year wait for a driving spot. Mainly because the HUB is huge. I would like to find another HUB somewhere else where the wait is way shorter. Here's my problem, I've already picked out some HUBS I'd like to get information from and find out what the wait is there, BUT there's no way to contact them! They are all 800 robotic service numbers, you can't get a hold of anyone connected to the HUB. I've even tried calling UPS Stores in the area to see if they had a number of someone by chance. SO, how can I get a hold of another HUB, talk to someone, and get some information on their HUB, and info on the driving wait. Thanks for reading, please help asap!
Call 867-5309 and ask for Jenny.

blackcircle

The wait time can be longer or shorter depending on a lot of factors. The main things that can shorten your wait is people having moving violations, can't drive stick, can't pass the class, etc. I went from part time TCD to full time because a guy with more seniority than me that hadn't driven before failed the driving class. There's even people too chicken to quit their second usually full time job to gamble on becoming a driver.

You definitely won't get a straight answer from ANY HR about a driving wait. The best they could do would be to tell you where you're at or where you'd be at on the list. Here the wait is starting to grow again because the number old timers retiring has dropped dramatically but it's been 6-7 years.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The wait time can be longer or shorter depending on a lot of factors. The main things that can shorten your wait is people having moving violations, can't drive stick, can't pass the class, etc. I went from part time TCD to full time because a guy with more seniority than me that hadn't driven before failed the driving class. There's even people too chicken to quit their second usually full time job to gamble on becoming a driver.

You definitely won't get a straight answer from ANY HR about a driving wait. The best they could do would be to tell you where you're at or where you'd be at on the list. Here the wait is starting to grow again because the number old timers retiring has dropped dramatically but it's been 6-7 years.

You won't get a straight answer from HR as there are way too many variables involved to give a straight answer.