Help needed - Item shipping from US to Canada.

awaisuk

Someone is sending me a laptop from US for $1000.

I wanted to know what kind of charges i have to pay at my door in Canada? and is there some way i can ignore those charges?

This is a gift for someone, and i want them to receieve it on the door, but it would look strange if they ended up paying extra money on the door for their own gift:dissapointed:

Any help appreciated.

Mike Hawk

I really don't know if you or the shipper pay international shipping fees/duties. You could call the shipper, or 1800-pick-ups.

awaisuk

I read on some forums that there are no duties on laptops for some reason as its covered by some company or something.

So there is 14% taxes we have to pay on everything in Canada.

So that means i have to pay $140 ($1000 for laptop) on my door?

worldwide

"I will be using Express so its free to me.. "

Not entirely. There will be a COD fee ($4.25) as well as a charge for the money UPS will pay to CBSA to get the package into Canada. Since CBSA charges PST and/or GST, UPS pays it first on your behalf to get the package into Canada. Then UPS has to collect it from you in the form of a COD. There is a charge for UPS "fronting" the money on your behalf: a fee of 2.7 percent (minimum $5.85) of the amount advanced by UPS will be charged.

I beleive that GST is a federal sales tax in force throughout most of Canada and levied at the rate of 7%. Most Canadian provinces also apply PST, Provincial Sales Tax to purchases levied at a rate of 7% to 10% depending on the province. In the provinces of New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, and Nova Scotia there is no GST or PST. Instead, HST (Harmonised Sales Tax) is levied at the rate of 15%. HST is a sales tax which combines GST and PST. All depends where the package is going what rate you will be charged.

atatbl

"I will be using Express so its free to me.. "

Not entirely. There will be a COD fee ($4.25) as well as a charge for the money UPS will pay to CBSA to get the package into Canada. Since CBSA charges PST and/or GST, UPS pays it first on your behalf to get the package into Canada. Then UPS has to collect it from you in the form of a COD. There is a charge for UPS "fronting" the money on your behalf: a fee of 2.7 percent (minimum $5.85) of the amount advanced by UPS will be charged.

I beleive that GST is a federal sales tax in force throughout most of Canada and levied at the rate of 7%. Most Canadian provinces also apply PST, Provincial Sales Tax to purchases levied at a rate of 7% to 10% depending on the province. In the provinces of New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, and Nova Scotia there is no GST or PST. Instead, HST (Harmonised Sales Tax) is levied at the rate of 15%. HST is a sales tax which combines GST and PST. All depends where the package is going what rate you will be charged.

lmao. You better get better at the interwebs fool. Adding the words I bolded to make it look like your own writing is pretty lame.

Anyways TS, where worldwide copied the latter info from is here:

http://www.johncletheroe.org/usa_can/can/gst.htm

There is a resource page that he edited out when he wanted to make this look like his own intelligible writing. (Which is funny since he mispelled one of about ten words he actually wrote). That page is here:

http://www.johncletheroe.org/usa_can/taxes/index.htm

And the other stuff is from here:

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

After looking at the "bond fees" section I think it would be possible to gain your desired result by calling 1-800-pick-ups, like the above site recommends.

worldwide

atatbl,

Not sure what the issue is. The original poster asked for help and I posted some suggestions. Was the information posted not true? If it makes you feel better and vindicated in some petty way, I will post links next time.

"You better get better at the interwebs fool."

You better check where the second link you posted (the ups.com link) actually sends you to. It's not ups fool...

“Which is funny since he mispelled one of about ten words he actually wrote”

Yes, that is funny, especially since you MISSPELLED “mispelled.”

PURUPS

Someone is sending me a laptop from US for $1000.

I wanted to know what kind of charges i have to pay at my door in Canada? and is there some way i can ignore those charges?

This is a gift for someone, and i want them to receieve it on the door, but it would look strange if they ended up paying extra money on the door for their own gift:dissapointed:

Any help appreciated.

Your receiver will pay the applicable Provincial/federal taxes. You paid all the brokerage costs when you paid the extra $ for expedited shipping, and it's sure not the first time that I've seen gifts show up with COD tags:sad-little: