Help Please... Orion Tips, Tricks and Hacks...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Have to communicate the issues. From what I've read on here some places won't even try to fix your ORION, but when people come to me with issues and can explain why it's not right I will work to fix it. Even then though, it's tough to make things all perfect.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1454393551.938438.jpg

Ms.PacMan

You would type enough of the address for the diad to display a list of choices. The single greatest feature of EDD for me, was knowing exactly how many pieces went with each stop.
I've said it before but this is where they should have stopped.

Load charts + EDD. I'd never run a route so fast!

Ms.PacMan

It would be impossible to have both.
EDD was loaded in our diads for a couple weeks before they actually started tagging boxes (or maybe the boxes were tagged but the pkgs were loaded still with the load charts). It shaved a half hour off my day the first time I went out like that.

barnyard

KTM rider
Load charts + EDD. I'd never run a route so fast!

Yep. It is way faster when an NDA stop also has ground loaded somewhere in the truck. Back in the day, you would just go to where the stop was everyday, grab the packages and go. Now, you have to toggle to RDO (unless it is within 19 minutes of commit, then you are fooked), see where the stops next to it are, dig, maybe find them all, go deliver.

The worst is resi NDA with extra packages. Sometimes you just have to deliver the NDA so that you can see the HIN for the rest of the stop. PITA if you are cutting the rest of the NDA stops close to commit.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yep. It is way faster when an NDA stop also has ground loaded somewhere in the truck. Back in the day, you would just go to where the stop was everyday, grab the packages and go. Now, you have to toggle to RDO (unless it is within 19 minutes of commit, then you are fooked), see where the stops next to it are, dig, maybe find them all, go deliver.

The worst is resi NDA with extra packages. Sometimes you just have to deliver the NDA so that you can see the HIN for the rest of the stop. PITA if you are cutting the rest of the NDA stops close to commit.

You can go to "commit", scroll down to the stop and hit "details". This will show you the HIN for the NDA and the other packages.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
We were very productive, and much happier. It was easy, it was loaded by an alpha chart. We knew where the stuff was. Memories.

Not at all. You would have been fine. EX: main street was always in section one. Residential off main was always in sec two, bulk stops were always in the same place. You get the drift. If You had a split, you were told by the loader. And told where it was.
Now if today, the board would go down, we are all screwed, because nothing is EVER in the same place.

@JL 0513, Tooner is right. Pre-EDD, loaders cared. Many had been around long enough that they were making good money. They knew the routes almost as well as the drivers.

As far as typing addresses, the board would recognize the street/road after a few characters, kind of like auto-correct. Alternatively, once in the street field, you could arrow up or down to whatever street you wanted.

Yes, the routes were generally lighter. What you have to understand is every innovation UPS rolls out is aimed at manpower reduction.

Dr.Brownz

Small rural centers do not have EDD because they do not want to hire another person to scan and label the packages. The center in Havre, MT does not have EDD.
They have claimed out center is one of the laegest without edd and pas but I know there is one two hours away about double the size and they dont have it either. Both places where feeders dont get to till relatively late so pas is logisically impossible unless they were to start drivers at noon

Last edited:

a911scanner

You can go to "commit", scroll down to the stop and hit "details". This will show you the HIN for the NDA and the other packages.

Not always... Sometimes the NDA stop and the ground stop are slated as two different stops in the ODO order and not combined together. Therefore, the only way to accomplish that is to scroll through the stops to look for a duplicate.

I do this on some of the routes that I cover, as I HATE stopping more than once at an address.

Holydriver

It shows where the air and grounds are loaded if you go into the details. My favorite thing with Orion is when it'll send you to deliver an air in the AM and then send you back to that stop with a ground later that day.

Well that's not my favorite Orion thing. It's just one of the many things I like about Orion

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
A center that size not having EDD is ludicrous in 2016. Do you guys in these centers even know what EDD is and how it works?

For crying out loud, a lot of us survived quite nicely without PAS/EDD. We even had to sheet stops on paper! The horrors of it all!!

JL 0513

For crying out loud, a lot of us survived quite nicely without PAS/EDD. We even had to sheet stops on paper! The horrors of it all!!

Humans survived thousands of years ago, it wasn't better.

Once you have something a certain way, why go back. I feel handicapped and lose some patience when I have to use a DIAD 4 during peak, LOL. Also, I wouldn't want to do this job if I had to use paper maps as a cover driver. No way in hell.

Could you go back to dial up Internet or standard def TV and enjoy it?

porkwagon

Humans survived thousands of years ago, it wasn't better.

Once you have something a certain way, why go back. I feel handicapped and lose some patience when I have to use a DIAD 4 during peak, LOL. Also, I wouldn't want to do this job if I had to use paper maps as a cover driver. No way in hell.

Could you go back to dial up Internet or standard def TV and enjoy it?
Yeah. I think I could still enjoy it.

Savvy412

I was told today we aren't gettin orion because something to do with our city and it wouldn't work.

Yesssthhh!

My Diad died on me twice this peak . At 2. 3 aclock. So I have a good idea of how it was done. I did fine, just a pain in the ass