Help Please

Our warehouse just started pas. Barely a week in they are sending home warning letters for misloads/out of sync labels loaded. They cram the flow down our throats and we are all loading way more packages than we were before. The work environment is now very unsafe. There are unclear walk paths due to stacking because they took most of our loading docks away. Some of us literally have to run just to keep up with the moving flow on the belt. What steps or angles should I take to help us out? Thanks for the time, answers are always appreciated.

helenofcalifornia

What kind of center do you work in???? Everyone knows that when PAS is first implemented, chaos will prevail for a couple of weeks. Missorts never really end in the first couple of months, in fact you will find as a driver that you probably have three times as many as before.

I just wonder what kind of management team you have that thinks they are invincible to the inevitable craziness when PAS first goes live. All the other centers and hubs have gone through this "shake down" period, why wouldn't yours?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Our warehouse just started pas. Barely a week in they are sending home warning letters for misloads/out of sync labels loaded. They cram the flow down our throats and we are all loading way more packages than we were before. The work environment is now very unsafe. There are unclear walk paths due to stacking because they took most of our loading docks away. Some of us literally have to run just to keep up with the moving flow on the belt. What steps or angles should I take to help us out? Thanks for the time, answers are always appreciated.

Shut the belt down until you have a clear walkway. If they yell at you to start it up again, just say no. They will keep cramming it down your throat as long as you keep swallowing it. The only way to force them to back off is to stop the belt and spit it back at them. It is a safety issue, they are required by law to maintain a safe workplace with adequate egress and access to fire escapes, emergency exits etc. Just keep shutting that belt off. We deal with this issue periodically every time we get a new preload manager who wants to make a name for himself by increasing production, they all need to be taught the simple fact that you cant force 10 gallons of sheit into a 9 gallon bucket just by speeding up the belt. The "off" button is your friend. Use it.

dillweed

Thanks sober, I'm not the original poster but going through some tough crap at work. Aha, shut it down, clean it up and unsecure belt. :happy2:

Overpaid Union Thug

We've been on PAS over a year now and it has actually gotten worse but I still wouldn't go back to the old way. Our biggest problem is when the dispatch sup adds stops to a route and doesn't place the stops in a logical location in EDD. Sometimes when an add/cut is made an entire area of town or an entire neighborhood will have the same sequence numbers. Or even worse....a whole truck! I'll get to that in a second. Its funny because we were told that we wouldn't have to sort anymore once we have EDD. LOL!

One day during the first month we were live our dispatch sup was on vacation and the sup that attempted to fill in for him screwed up some routes royally. Mine was the worst. Every package in the car had the same sequence number. It was quite a drag downloading EDD and scrolling down through 147 stops and seeing the same number next to each one. I can't remember the exact number now but I do remember that it was a 1000 number. The preload sups had to have a preloader that had been in our center for a long time go through the load and try and group some of the packages together according to their location but I still had a rough day.

2Slow

Since PAS started a couple months ago, misloads have gone from about 4 a week to 4 a day in our center.

Wow! You guys have an awesome preload! We've been on PAS about 2 years now and we average close to 2 misloads per driver per day. This is a big improvment from where it was 6 months ago.... (Sadly, I am not kidding)

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
We've been on PAS over a year now and it has actually gotten worse but I still wouldn't go back to the old way. Our biggest problem is when the dispatch sup adds stops to a route and doesn't place the stops in a logical location in EDD. Sometimes when an add/cut is made an entire area of town or an entire neighborhood will have the same sequence numbers. Or even worse....a whole truck! I'll get to that in a second. Its funny because we were told that we wouldn't have to sort anymore once we have EDD. LOL!

One day during the first month we were live our dispatch sup was on vacation and the sup that attempted to fill in for him screwed up some routes royally. Mine was the worst. Every package in the car had the same sequence number. It was quite a drag downloading EDD and scrolling down through 147 stops and seeing the same number next to each one. I can't remember the exact number now but I do remember that it was a 1000 number. The preload sups had to have a preloader that had been in our center for a long time go through the load and try and group some of the packages together according to their location but I still had a rough day.

Yeah I love having 60 stops on shelf 7 and another 60 on shelf 8, not to mention the mysterious pile of stuff on the Left wheel well that mysteriously is not in your EDD and has handwritten hins.

helenofcalifornia

We usually have about 8 misloads called in during the day by drivers. One day the Preload sup asked us to call in every single misload that we had (instead of bringing it back to the center so the loader wouldn't get burned) and misloads jumped up to 42.

The Preload Sup asked us to do that only once.

gandydancer

You don't "have" to run, so don't. If they tell you not to turn off the belt, don't. Just let it flow by. If the walk paths are unsafe, don't walk there, or walk no faster and carry no more than you can walk safely. Rule 1: When management makes a mess, don't bail them out.