Help please...

B1987

Hey, I have been a UPS driver for 2 1/2 years now (since gaining seniority). When I first started the job it was very simple and I would finish earlier than the expected time. About 1 1/2 years ago they added orion to our center. Immediately it took me to being the kind if driver that would finish on the dot .00 or within 15 minutes +/- and clocking out over an hour later than I normally would b.c of the added work, not a huge issue. Since about spring this year I have been atleast 2 hours over the expected time everyday. I do the same methods and everything but they have been piling on wayyy too many stops, usually clocking out around 8-9. I have an apartment complex that takes me 2+ hours everyday b.c it is much bigger than any of the neighborhoods I deliver in and every stop requires a signature (over 100 buildings that you can't enter, must press buzzer and if they are home they will buzz you in, if they aren't home the office will take whatever I have left over). On the computer everymorning it states that it should take me 9 minutes to do 60-70 stops in these apartments!!! They claim the 9 minutes has nothing to do with my dispatch yet everyday they complain that I am 2+ hours over daily. The past 2 months I've been clocking out at 930-10 everynight. I love this type of work, there is no other job I would rather do. I drove at Fedex Ground for 7 years before making the move to UPS, I ran myself ragged at Fedex, now I swear by UPS's methods and practice them everyday since they sent me to integrad when I was first hired. It has saved my life a million times while driving and just walking around delivering. The point I am getting to is what can I do about my center changing my "expected" delivery times at freewill? I am a musician and used to play for many bands and a music agency doing weddings, parties, tv, touring, etc but I can't anymore due to the insane hours they have me working. I also have a dog that I would like to get home to along with just being able to enjoy my personal life and get work done around the house. I talk to my shop steward, route coordinator, and center managers daily about this but it is just wasted breath. I am thinking about going back to Fedex to regain my life but I would rather get this resolved than to drift to another job. I've never been so helpless and it is ruining my personal life and health that this can't be resolved. I don't care about bonus, overtime, or the "expected" time it should take me to deliver a route. All I care about is coming in, being safe, doing my job and getting home at a fair time. Recently I have been coming in 10-15 minutes late a few times a week because I am burnt out from the past 2 months of getting home everynight around 10-11pm. Suggestions please... I tried my best to not sound like a crybaby but I am at the breaking point.

Relax. You have a long way to go. Ups will always want to much. Just work by the methods learn the contract and your rights and get some thick skin. It's always going to suck. Get comfortable in the hat you do. This place is a vampire. Don't let it drain you.

B1987

Relax. You have a long way to go. Ups will always want to much. Just work by the methods learn the contract and your rights and get some thick skin. It's always going to suck. Get comfortable in the hat you do. This place is a vampire. Don't let it drain you.

I don't get flustered when I'm at work in the truck, I just do the methods and be safe no matter how much work I have I don't change how I work. I don't care about being under or over either but it's just depressing that I'm being dispatched with 11+ hours of work and it won't even be peak season but they complain about my time everyday when their time study is wayyyy off. 90 stops took 3 hrs 15 mins today in these apartments I mentioned but orion/computer says it should've taken me 8 minutes today. Someone met up to take 80 stops off me but I still clocked out at 930 tonight. It's just unfair that one second I'm their #1 b.c I know every route in the center and get my job done in a good time with my name never coming up and now they act like I'm a scumbag b.c they keep changing my stops allowed time. Thank you for the reply, my post is a bit of a vent but I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction

B1987

Get on the 9.5 list
Do the job by the methods
Relax and quit whining

Haha, I do my job well. Just would like to stop UPS from invading my personal life with peak season hours year round, it's just been weighing on me more this recently and I would rather find a solution instead of moving on. I'll look into the 9.5 list, sounds like it'd be a godsend for me. Thank you for the reply,

Faceplanted

9.5 list.

Be prepared for management to lie to you and tell you that you are not yet a 4 year driver and cannot get on the list. This is false

If you do the same route every day it doesn't matter how many years you have you can still opt in. They are keeping you out late because you have been letting them, you and 4/5 other drivers staying out late are saving them from adding another route.

Unfortunately for the OP the 9 5 list is not an option for another year and a half. So for the next year and a half you need to suck it up and stick it out or go back to working unprotected at Fedex.

Faceplanted

Unfortunately for the OP the 9 5 list is not an option for another year and a half. So for the next year and a half you need to suck it up and stick it out or go back to working unprotected at Fedex.
How is it not? If you do the same route every week you could be a driver that just made book and still get on the list. Read rhe contract. We had issues where I am about management lying and saying its 4 years no matter what, and then managers switching guys a day a day or Two a week to prevent them from being on the route all week. A vacation bid sheet grevience, and a few seniority grevience fixed that

How is it not? If you do the same route every week you could be a driver that just made book and still get on the list. Read rhe contract. We had issues where I am about management lying and saying its 4 years no matter what, and then managers switching guys a day a day or Two a week to prevent them from being on the route all week. A vacation bid sheet grevience, and a few seniority grevience fixed that
I stand corrected faceplanted. You are correct.

Faceplanted

Lots of guys don't know about the 9.5 language. There are ways to get on the list and they mostly concern centers putting up a vacation bid for the week prior, as well as using seniority to stay on a route all week. Most centers don't put up the required vacation bid

Glad to educate on this topic

Overpaid Union Thug

Hey, I have been a UPS driver for 2 1/2 years now (since gaining seniority). When I first started the job it was very simple and I would finish earlier than the expected time. About 1 1/2 years ago they added orion to our center. Immediately it took me to being the kind if driver that would finish on the dot .00 or within 15 minutes +/- and clocking out over an hour later than I normally would b.c of the added work, not a huge issue. Since about spring this year I have been atleast 2 hours over the expected time everyday. I do the same methods and everything but they have been piling on wayyy too many stops, usually clocking out around 8-9. I have an apartment complex that takes me 2+ hours everyday b.c it is much bigger than any of the neighborhoods I deliver in and every stop requires a signature (over 100 buildings that you can't enter, must press buzzer and if they are home they will buzz you in, if they aren't home the office will take whatever I have left over). On the computer everymorning it states that it should take me 9 minutes to do 60-70 stops in these apartments!!! They claim the 9 minutes has nothing to do with my dispatch yet everyday they complain that I am 2+ hours over daily. The past 2 months I've been clocking out at 930-10 everynight. I love this type of work, there is no other job I would rather do. I drove at Fedex Ground for 7 years before making the move to UPS, I ran myself ragged at Fedex, now I swear by UPS's methods and practice them everyday since they sent me to integrad when I was first hired. It has saved my life a million times while driving and just walking around delivering. The point I am getting to is what can I do about my center changing my "expected" delivery times at freewill? I am a musician and used to play for many bands and a music agency doing weddings, parties, tv, touring, etc but I can't anymore due to the insane hours they have me working. I also have a dog that I would like to get home to along with just being able to enjoy my personal life and get work done around the house. I talk to my shop steward, route coordinator, and center managers daily about this but it is just wasted breath. I am thinking about going back to Fedex to regain my life but I would rather get this resolved than to drift to another job. I've never been so helpless and it is ruining my personal life and health that this can't be resolved. I don't care about bonus, overtime, or the "expected" time it should take me to deliver a route. All I care about is coming in, being safe, doing my job and getting home at a fair time. Recently I have been coming in 10-15 minutes late a few times a week because I am burnt out from the past 2 months of getting home everynight around 10-11pm. Suggestions please... I tried my best to not sound like a crybaby but I am at the breaking point.
The best way to survive at UPS is to follow as many methods as you can and to simply not care about their numbers. Do those two things no matter how much more work they give you and no matter how slow their reports claim you are. Including during peak. Anyone who does otherwise is either selfish or gutless.

B1987

The best way to survive at UPS is to follow as many methods as you can and to simply not care about their numbers. Do those two things no matter how much more work they give you and no matter how slow their reports claim you are. Including during peak. Anyone who does otherwise is either selfish or gutless.

I'm guessing you didn't read my thread. Not everyone wants to work 10-11 hour days year round, peak being 11-12. Is wanting to have a life outside of my job a crime? It's a simple fix but they refuse to adjust their time study claiming I can deliver 70 stops (all signatures/different buildings) in 8 minutes. Any other route I covered in the past I'm "their guy" but on this one they gave me earlier in the year due to the driver of 15+ years going to feeder I'm now a "slug". He had the same issue the very moment our center became orion ready. I previously drove at fedex which is a lawless operation so since putting the methods into my practice after coming to UPS I swear by them, they have been life changing/saving.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm guessing you didn't read my thread. Not everyone wants to work 10-11 hour days year round, peak being 11-12. Is wanting to have a life outside of my job a crime? It's a simple fix but they refuse to adjust their time study claiming I can deliver 70 stops (all signatures/different buildings) in 8 minutes. Any other route I covered in the past I'm "their guy" but on this one they gave me earlier in the year due to the driver of 15+ years going to feeder I'm now a "slug". He had the same issue the very moment our center became orion ready. I previously drove at fedex which is a lawless operation so since putting the methods into my practice after coming to UPS I swear by them, they have been life changing/saving.
It's apparent that my comment went way over your head. My suggestions are a long term solution. Not a quick fix. Your own comments indicate that you are letting their numbers get to you. Which is why I said what I did. Time study fixes are rare so don't hold your breath on getting one. And peak hours are always long. Last year's peak was likely a once in a lifetime experience so don't expect it to happen again. At least not on that scale. If the average everyday work hours are your problem then maybe this job isn't for you.

Last edited:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Welcome to Brown son, you have to earn that 34.40 an hour. Only 28 years left, youll be alright, JUST A BAD DREAM MAN lol.

By The Book

Haha, I do my job well. Just would like to stop UPS from invading my personal life with peak season hours year round, it's just been weighing on me more this recently and I would rather find a solution instead of moving on. I'll look into the 9.5 list, sounds like it'd be a godsend for me. Thank you for the reply,
Turn in your 8 hour requests also. You are allowed 2 per month, but not in November or December. This may give you that feeling of being off at a normal time like the rest of the working class. You may need to give them some notice and turn in a form, hope this helps.

jaker

trolling
I'm guessing you didn't read my thread. Not everyone wants to work 10-11 hour days year round, peak being 11-12. Is wanting to have a life outside of my job a crime? .
No one is going to have sympathy for you , what you are complaining about is everyday life for us no matter what and even your peak hours are not worth complaining about

If you don't like the hours move on because it's going to be that way for decades , you messed up trying to impress them and like what they all ways do is just give you more work

B1987

No one is going to have sympathy for you , what you are complaining about is everyday life for us no matter what and even your peak hours are not worth complaining about

If you don't like the hours move on because it's going to be that way for decades , you messed up trying to impress them and like what they all ways do is just give you more work

I'm not looking for sympathy, just looking for a solution since I don't know anything about ups really. Just care about what time I get home more than the amount of hours so I've learned from others about article 22 which theres a few positions opening up in the new year (doubt ill get it with the amount of seniority I have) or doing early am's to cut some time off the end of my day. I've been doing the same thing since day one tho, used to finish the route around 530 and clock out around 6/615 when I started but since orion theyve added an extra 60-100 stops a day claiming it can be done in the same amount of time. Thank you for the reply, the hours arent for everyone. Just looking for a alternative like being taken off the route or anything I listed before. It all takes time so I figure to start now and hopefully find something that works for me in the future.