Help! Restore laptop to factory settings, got a question or 2 about it.

fethrs

I am in the process of transferring/backing up my files to my external hard drive.
I want to restore the laptop to the factory settings. Right now I have 40% available memory, or 68 GB of 144 GB left.
If I restore the laptop, will the memory change? I can't find the answer anywhere, so I'm aksing here.
Thanks!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Best to go online and check with those geeks and nerds who hang around just to be challenged by your computer questions.

fethrs

Best to go online and check with those geeks and nerds who hang around just to be challenged by your computer questions.

I tried that, found a site where I could "ax" my question and got a response saying they needed more info. To get an answer the cost was anywhere from $18-$38 bucks. No thanks!

moreluck

golden ticket member
I tried that, found a site where I could "ax" my question and got a response saying they needed more info. To get an answer the cost was anywhere from $18-$38 bucks. No thanks!
The ones we use are no charge.

Hubby said if you search by the problem you want to fix, there are all kinds of help sites.....some charge, but not all.

old levi's

blank space
The ones we use are no charge.

Hubby said if you search by the problem you want to fix, there are all kinds of help sites.....some charge, but not all.

If my wife called me hubby I think I would spit up. spew-md.png
spew-md.png

old levi's

blank space
Cheryl just got done saying not to post personal info, so I didn't use his name......what am I suppose to call him? The better half? No way, cause I'm the better half. S.O.? The golfer that lives here?

Anything but hubby! Also, I like the (just done got saying). Where are you from again?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I am in the process of transferring/backing up my files to my external hard drive.
I want to restore the laptop to the factory settings. Right now I have 40% available memory, or 68 GB of 144 GB left.
If I restore the laptop, will the memory change? I can't find the answer anywhere, so I'm aksing here.
Thanks!
That's an awful lot of memory, are you sure you're not talking about hard drive space? Either way restoring the laptop to factory settings will not change the total amount of either your memory or your hard drive space, but you should have quite a bit more freed up and available.

fethrs

That's an awful lot of memory, are you sure you're not talking about hard drive space? Either way restoring the laptop to factory settings will not change the total amount of either your memory or your hard drive space, but you should have quite a bit more freed up and available.

It probably is the hard drive space, I'm not even sure. Haven't done it yet.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It probably is the hard drive space, I'm not even sure. Haven't done it yet.
Restoring it to factory settings should free up most of that 144GB. A base install of WinXP is only about 4GB, if it's Win7 then more like 15GB. Figure another 10-20 GB for any programs that came pre-installed.

I found this, it is what I thought because I have done it several times. The one withwhom I live liked online poker. I didn't like all the crap they would put on your computer.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110728190638AAv0PKU

If you do a "System restore" on WVista it simply goes to the settings the computer was using on a specific date, ignoring everything installed after that date. I haven't done a restore to factory settings. The best answer given on the link you posted sounds about right to me, which matches what Jones said too. Just back up your documents, pictures and music etc that you want to keep. Good luck.