Help! Restore laptop to factory settings, got a question or 2 about it.

Cheryl just got done saying not to post personal info, so I didn't use his name......what am I suppose to call him? The better half? No way, cause I'm the better half. S.O.? The golfer that lives here?

The top five we just voted on:

Mr. Beef
The Hammer
Captain Yardstick
La Concreta (Fets fav)
and
Klein II (you know who voted this one in)

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Here's my experience:

A few years ago I had to format my hard drive to get rid of a root kit virus. Formatting and restoring is very time consuming... The most important part of that process was making sure every bit of data you want to keep has to be saved on an external hard drive or disks because you will be deleting everything and starting from scratch. Formatting did get rid of the virus but it took a couple of days to re-install all of the programs I use and reconfigure everything. It's also essential to have all of the system disks so you can re-install the operating system and drivers.

Then there was the failing hard drive.

A couple of weeks ago I had the hard drive in my laptop replaced because it had a lot of bad sectors and it looked like it was getting ready to completely fail. To prepare for the new hard drive I made an image of my dying hard drive on an external hard drive using software called Macrium Reflect. After the new hard drive was installed I simply restored the image to the new hard drive. It only took a couple of hours instead of a couple of days. That would only work if your system was already set up the way you wanted it and you were replacing the hard drive or moving to a different computer.

I have no experience restoring a computer to factory settings.

Here's my experience:

A few years ago I had to format my hard drive to get rid of a root kit virus. Formatting and restoring is very time consuming... The most important part of that process was making sure every bit of data you want to keep has to be saved on an external hard drive or disks because you will be deleting everything and starting from scratch. Formatting did get rid of the virus but it took a couple of days to re-install all of the programs I use and reconfigure everything. It's also essential to have all of the system disks so you can re-install the operating system and drivers.

Then there was the failing hard drive.

A couple of weeks ago I had the hard drive in my laptop replaced because it had a lot of bad sectors and it looked like it was getting ready to completely fail. To prepare for the new hard drive I made an image of my dying hard drive on an external hard drive using software called Macrium Reflect. After the new hard drive was installed I simply restored the image to the new hard drive. It only took a couple of hours instead of a couple of days. That would only work if your system was already set up the way you wanted it and you were replacing the hard drive or moving to a different computer.

I have no experience restoring a computer to factory settings.

To translate this into driver speak:

When the naked pictures stop coming up quickly. It`s time to buy a new fancy thinkin box.

fethrs

Thanks all, for your answers and help. I think I will attempt to do everything tomorrow.
I still need to back up some more stuff to the external hard drive and them I'm good to go.
I'll let you know how it goes, unless of course I end up crasing the whole system and I can't get online.