Help With Best FM/(possibly AM) MP3 Tuner out there...

ArcherUTR

This is not the thread where we discuss the safety of listening to headphones or having radios in the vehicle. Thank you.

If you want to do that, please do that here...

I don't really want to use my phone. For about the past six months I've been rocking these bad boys.

They are not an MP3 player, but it is the best tuner that I have ever owned, and I have owned many mp3/tuners over the years. It is also the only one that has received AM. They are not Bluetooth, but they do have a stereo jack that I never use.

I can still hear traffic, people yelling at me, emergency vehicles, and honking. They are also ear protectors. So they protect my hearing from my loud standard transmission P10. I also don't have to turn up the volume very loud because I'm not fighting my truck.

But the summer heat has arrived and it is just too hot and too irritating to wear these things.

I'm asking because I am making some changes in my life and I want to get back into listening to more of my own music collection, but mostly I want the best FM receiver out there with maybe the possibility of also AM.

Any suggestions please?

Last edited by a moderator:

BrownTexas

Driving with these in a UPS truck is just unprofessional. A little Bluetooth ear piece is good enough. I'd be real surprised if you don't get called in on daily.

asphaltcowboy

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1434251025.543309.jpg

Try this it fits snug in a lot of spots. If you get it stuck on the dash somewhere with the solar panel out it will run the entire day. And it picks up good I used one on a super rural route 300 miles a day never cut out. Also it has a crank if you need to charge it also it has batteries too. Search solar fm radio on Amazon there's some sweet stuff out there

Last edited by a moderator:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
My old Freightliner had an accessible fuse box so I used a fuse protected car radio. I listened to AM quite often.

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
search c crane has very large asst. of electronics.
i personally use Sanjen personal radio (local FM till noon. EIB thereafer)

ArcherUTR

Just let the voices inside your head do the singing.

I just recently broke up with my longtime girlfriend and had to move out. I also no longer get to spend time with 7 year old son who I was helping become a man...not the voices I want to be hearing in my head right now.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Easiest way and most convenient way is still on your phone with bluetooth headphones. Been going this route for years. Easy way is to put music on your external sd card also, just hook up hone to computer at home and drag files to sd card. Led Belly will probably tell you the same thing im telling you. Were both music junkies and im the technology junkie so i know very well lol.

ArcherUTR

Easiest way and most convenient way is still on your phone with bluetooth headphones. Been going this route for years. Easy way is to put music on your external sd card also, just hook up hone to computer at home and drag files to sd card. Led Belly will probably tell you the same thing im telling you. Were both music junkies and im the technology junkie so i know very well lol.

You have to realize that it took me well over a year, mostly out of paranoia, to get an Apple ID account, just last week to be exact. I used my Iphone 5 with no Apple ID, until my ex put hers into my phone a couple of months ago.

I still have never had an itunes account. Kind of makes me wish I had not mad the switch to an Iphone. I can't load my music on it.

But mostly I want a strong FM receiver. But I guess I can download the apps of the stations that I want to listen to, but that's a lot of data right?

I don't know why you want to listen to FM. Clear Channel ruined all the stations around here. Their playlists are only about 300 songs strong and separated by 15 minutes of commercials per 3 or 4 songs. I stopped listening to the radio over a year ago and just use my iPod with one of these.
I've got over 1200 of my favorite songs on shuffle, so I can go about 3 weeks without hearing a duplicate song.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Lately I've been dreaming Sirius/XM through my phone to a bluetooth speaker that fits perfectly in my cupholder. And I keep my phone in a windshield mount suction cup bracket.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Lately I've been dreaming Sirius/XM through my phone to a bluetooth speaker that fits perfectly in my cupholder. And I keep my phone in a windshield mount suction cup bracket.

I just got my bill from Sirius. $204 for one year. Called them and "asked" them to either cut it in half or I would cancel. Paid $102. :)

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
You have to realize that it took me well over a year, mostly out of paranoia, to get an Apple ID account, just last week to be exact. I used my Iphone 5 with no Apple ID, until my ex put hers into my phone a couple of months ago.

I still have never had an itunes account. Kind of makes me wish I had not mad the switch to an Iphone. I can't load my music on it.

But mostly I want a strong FM receiver. But I guess I can download the apps of the stations that I want to listen to, but that's a lot of data right?
You couldnt pay me to buy that ICRAP PHONES lol. So restricted on what you can do and Itunes is a ripoff anyway but the good news is Apple is actually coming out with a music service i think at end of this month for like 9.99, i think their trying to be like Rhapsody where you can stream and or download as much as you want for 9.99 a month. I use Rhapsody and have been for years. Just download at home on wifi and download them to my external 64 gig sd card. I can listen to Rhapsody offline all day and not burn up no data. FM and all the streaming music sites will burn up your data. I cant tell ya the mathematical amount it takes but you can always keep an eye on how much data you use on your phone data app. If you have any questions im sure me or Lead Belly can answer them for ya dude.

ArcherUTR

I don't know why you want to listen to FM. Clear Channel ruined all the stations around here. Their playlists are only about 300 songs strong and separated by 15 minutes of commercials per 3 or 4 songs. I stopped listening to the radio over a year ago and just use my iPod with one of these.
I've got over 1200 of my favorite songs on shuffle, so I can go about 3 weeks without hearing a duplicate song.

- NPR
- 91.7 (publicly funded badass music)
- 105.3 The Fan (turn it on, leave it on sports radio station) hilarious and brightens my day.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
You couldnt pay me to buy that ICRAP PHONES lol. So restricted on what you can do and Itunes is a ripoff anyway but the good news is Apple is actually coming out with a music service i think at end of this month for like 9.99, i think their trying to be like Rhapsody where you can stream and or download as much as you want for 9.99 a month. I use Rhapsody and have been for years. Just download at home on wifi and download them to my external 64 gig sd card. I can listen to Rhapsody offline all day and not burn up no data. FM and all the streaming music sites will burn up your data. I cant tell ya the mathematical amount it takes but you can always keep an eye on how much data you use on your phone data app. If you have any questions im sure me or Lead Belly can answer them for ya dude.

Apple already owned beats which is a streaming service for 9.99. It's actually really good. We use it all the time at our house. I've got it on ten devices and then hook it up to the sonos speakers around the house. It's also good if you're grandfathered into the unlimited data plan too. I've had nothing but iPhones and the unlimited data is great. Although ATT really wishes I would cancel it lol.
I haven't bought anything off iTunes since I stream beats. Streaming I think will be the future of where digital music will go.