Helper abuse

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This morning my center had 2 drivers who were being instructed to use their helpers for...half an hour.
At the same time, we are being exhorted to turn in referrals for helpers because we are desperately understaffed and have already had helpers quit on us.
Does the company seriously believe that there are people who are willing to spend $5 on gas and an hour commuting to a minimum wage job that will only give them half an hour of work?
There is obviously a disconnect sonewhere.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
There is always a disconnect with this company. Every year is the first year of peak, we work for clowns. Same problem here not enough helpers or drivers or hub people. Then in 4 weeks when we are in the news they will say gee I don't know how this happened. :oops:

Box Ox

Helpers are guaranteed 3 hours under my local supplement. Which isn't very strong to begin with. Management tends to act like there's no such guarantee until it's pointed out.

Still, 3 hours isn't a good deal either. Which is why I'd never refer somebody I like.

upschuck

It usually takes longer than that to get helper, punch in, get back to area, and then, drop them back off.

Think my least amount of time was 1 1/2 hrs, and that was ridiculous.

upschuck

Gotcha.

Do they have a family member or friend who can meet you and bring them back to their car?
Not going to do that, they don't make enough to inconvenience another member of the family, if I can do it myself. Their pickup/dropoff spot should be the same.

I have had one ride with a family member to meet me, and I took them home, not too far out of the way. I try to be good to my helpers, whom the generally gave me good ones, that worked hard for me.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Seriously?

You don't set up a meet point on road?
When you are talking about people who make minimum wage for 2 or 3 hours you are talking about people who frequently dont have cars. Or cell phones. Or gas money. Meaning you pick them up at a bus stop and the bus schedule is a variable you must factor in along with ORION compliance, stops in helper board, 3 hour limits, and other silly metrics created by geniuses who never delivered a package in their life.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When you are talking about people who make minimum wage for 2 or 3 hours you are talking about people who frequently dont have cars. Or cell phones. Or gas money. Meaning you pick them up at a bus stop and the bus schedule is a variable you must factor in along with ORION compliance, stops in helper board, 3 hour limits, and other silly metrics created by geniuses who never delivered a package in their life.

That has never been my experience.

It usually takes longer than that to get helper, punch in, get back to area, and then, drop them back off.

Think my least amount of time was 1 1/2 hrs, and that was ridiculous.
Last year, before they started most of us seasonal drivers, they had started with helpers. I helped a driver for a few hours. He was gonna hit somw rural resi stuff for about an hour. They told him to drop me off back downtown, and I could drive 45 min in rush hour traffic to meet back up with him in another town. I apologized, but it was still only $8.50 for helper pay, and said I was not going to do that.

upschuck

Last year, before they started most of us seasonal drivers, they had started with helpers. I helped a driver for a few hours. He was gonna hit somw rural resi stuff for about an hour. They told him to drop me off back downtown, and I could drive 45 min in rush hour traffic to meet back up with him in another town. I apologized, but it was still only $8.50 for helper pay, and said I was not going to do that.
They ask way to much of helpers, sometimes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

At that point it may have been better for you to have stayed on car without pay for those 45-60 minutes.