Helper Pay Rates After Peak?

ULiRuiz526

I've been looking through the contract book but can't find the article where it says the helper pay rate when its not peak. I have a feeling these SUP's are gonna get smart with me this upcoming week so I wanna be prepared for the beautiful grievance I'm gonna file :happy-very:

I'm in Miami, FL btw.

-Thank you, ULi.

Dark_Team_135

I've been looking through the contract book but can't find the article where it says the helper pay rate when its not peak. I have a feeling these SUP's are gonna get smart with me this upcoming week so I wanna be prepared for the beautiful grievance I'm gonna file :happy-very:

I'm in Miami, FL btw.

-Thank you, ULi.

Here in the Central Region the company can't use Helpers outside the months of November & December without approval of the Local. They have done it the last 2 years without asking so this year we are going to be on it and I think the pay should be negotiated since the contract is silent on the subject.

I bet there has been a decision regarding this somewhere since it seems to be pretty common the past couple of years though...

UPSGUY72

I'm in Miami, FL btw.

-Thank you, ULi.

They will probably keep you at the same rate or start you at the rate of a PT inside person. If you where just hired as a helper you have no rights to file a grievance untill you have gained senority.

A steward could file a grievance for using helper after the 1st and that they should now become full time PT employees however you still need to make your 30 days and I would be willing to bet that if that hapen none of those helpers would make there 30 days.

ULiRuiz526

They will probably keep you at the same rate or start you at the rate of a PT inside person. If you where just hired as a helper you have no rights to file a grievance untill you have gained senority.

A steward could file a grievance for using helper after the 1st and that they should now become full time PT employees however you still need to make your 30 days and I would be willing to bet that if that hapen none of those helpers would make there 30 days.

I'm an inside guy. Been working for the company 4 years. Reason I'm asking is cause they're gonna try & pay me $8.50 just like the last couple peak seasons. I sacrificed getting paid the $8.50 for the learning experience so when I go FT driver in a few months.

UPSGUY72

Where are you getting that from???

Have you ever seen a person who has not made senority file a grievance and still make his 30 days? You basically have no union representation till you make your 30 days. Your first 30 days is a trial basis which you may be dismissed without protest from the union.

UPSGUY72

I'm an inside guy. Been working for the company 4 years. Reason I'm asking is cause they're gonna try & pay me $8.50 just like the last couple peak seasons. I sacrificed getting paid the $8.50 for the learning experience so when I go FT driver in a few months.

I would think you would get paid your normal rate which is higher than helper rate I'd ask a steward it appears your getting screwed. I might be wrong but I see a steward.

JonFrum

upsguy72,

You didn't answer my question.

Both of us fall under the New England Supplement. Notice Article 48 says the employee shall report the issue. If they wanted to limit the reporting to only seniority employees, they would have said so.

Article 57 prohibits UPS from retaliating against a new hire for filing a grievance.

ARTICLE 48 --- GRIEVANCE PROCEDURE
Section 2 --- Grievances
A grievance is hereby jointly defined to be any controversy, complaint, misunderstanding or dispute arising as to interpretation, application or observance of any of the provisions of this Agreement or Supplements hereto.

Grievance procedures may be invoked only by authorized Union representatives.

In the event of a grievance, it shall be handled in the following manner:

(a) The employee shall report it to his shop steward in writing within five (5) working days. The steward shall attempt to adjust the matter with the supervisor within two (2) working days.

(b) Failing to agree, the shop steward shall promptly report the matter to the Union which shall submit it in writing and attempt to adjust the same with the Employer within five (5) working days.

Note that Article 57 specifically says New Hires are covered by the contract, and that UPS can't dismiss them in violation of the contract or the law.

ARTICLE 57 --- SENIORITY
(b) All new employees shall be hired on a thirty (30) calendar day's trial basis and shall work under the provisions of this Agreement within which time they may be dismissed without protest by the Union. However, the Employer may not layoff, discharge or discipline for the purpose of evading this Agreement or discriminating in any manner prohibited by law. After thirty (30) day's trial period, they shall be placed on the seniority list as seniority employees in accordance with their date of hire provided, however, that an employee must work a minimum of ninety-six (96) hours during his thirty (30) day's trial period.

In case of discipline within the thirty (30) day period, the Employer shall notify the Local Union in writing.

ULiRuiz526

I would think you would get paid your normal rate which is higher than helper rate I'd ask a steward it appears your getting screwed. I might be wrong but I see a steward.

Ok I just spoke with my steward. He said he would have the pay rate article for me first thing in the morning. But he definitely said that it isn't $8.50 :happy-very:

UPSGUY72

upsguy72,

You didn't answer my question.

Both of us fall under the New England Supplement. Notice Article 48 says the employee shall report the issue. If they wanted to limit the reporting to only seniority employees, they would have said so.

Article 57 prohibits UPS from retaliating against a new hire for filing a grievance.

Note that Article 57 specifically says New Hires are covered by the contract, and that UPS can't dismiss them in violation of the contract or the law.

I know what the contract says. I'm just tell you what is the reality of filing a grievance with your 30 day probation period. There is give and take between the union and UPS all the time. I would be a betting man that the union would have much to say about terminating a pperson with there 30 day probation period.

Aways how are you going to prove that they retaliated against you??? They can say you have to many misloads, show up late to work, don't get along with your coworkers, ETC. UPS can terminate you at anytime in your 30 probation period for any reason they seem fit and the union would mostlikly do nothing. It happens all the time. Your 30 days can be more than thirty days if you miss a day of work.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
if you file a grievance than start looking for a new job,,, thats the reality of your situation,, the co is not obligated to keep helpers . its hard enough for a seasonal helper to get in,, and im assuming you have allready raised a stink about this,,...so honestly you got no chance of staying with ups

upsgrunt

If your months away from a driver position, I wouldn't stir the pot. There are battles and there are wars, and you are at a point where you need to look long term wise.

ULiRuiz526

He has every right to file the grievance but I think that it can be resolved without filing.

Agree.. I'm gonna sit down with them tomorrow and let them know that after peak season the driver helper pay rate isn't $8.50. If they refuse to comply with the contract then I will definitely take further action with my steward which is a great friend of mine & the one that taught me everything about being a driver :wink2:

Now if they tell me that they're only gonna pay me $8.50 and I refuse to accept the work for that pay rate, will I be able to grievance the fact that another insider with less seniority than me is driver helping & he is doing it for the low pay rate?

UPSGUY72

Agree.. I'm gonna sit down with them tomorrow and let them know that after peak season the driver helper pay rate isn't $8.50. If they refuse to comply with the contract then I will definitely take further action with my steward which is a great friend of mine & the one that taught me everything about being a driver :wink2:

Now if they tell me that they're only gonna pay me $8.50 and I refuse to accept the work for that pay rate, will I be able to grievance the fact that another insider with less seniority than me is driver helping & he is doing it for the low pay rate?

If you refuse to work than you can't say someone with less seniority is working. You can file a grievance for getting paid the right rate. I would see what infomation your steward gives you to see where you stand before you do anything.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Don't be a coward.
Doesn't matter if you're next on the list or #100.
If your local doesn't have an agreement, I will make the assertion that you are entitled to top scale full time driver pay.
You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Network with the other inside employees in the same boat.
It will only strenghten your position.

ULiRuiz526

If your months away from a driver position, I wouldn't stir the pot. There are battles and there are wars, and you are at a point where you need to look long term wise.

Your right but if I don't stand up for myself now I will be they're dog when my time to be a driver arrives :sad-little:

Either way if they try something funny like skipping me when the bid sheet comes around, I'll just grievance that. Its a win-win situation if you really think about it. As long as you don't steal, crash, or fight you can retire at UPS :wink2:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The OP is an inside worker who was a helper during Peak.

He has every right to file the grievance but I think that it can be resolved without filing.

That's the design of the grievance procedure, talk first, grieve second.
Anybody want to bet that he doesn't get top scale without grieving?

P.S. Do the work then grieve the pay, or there will be no grievance.
Also all of this is predicated on there being no local agreement on the issue.

UPSGUY72

Your right but if I don't stand up for myself now I will be they're dog when my time to be a driver arrives :sad-little:

Either way if they try something funny like skipping me when the bid sheet comes around, I'll just grievance that. Its a win-win situation if you really think about it. As long as you don't steal, crash, or fight you can retire at UPS :wink2:

They could also make it impossible to make your 30 days driving period. So I would tread lightly. If your steward gives you something that backs you up than go ahead if not be careful.