Helper Payday

gingerkat

He's not the only one that bought lunch for the driver. Having said that, it was worth it to keep mr. handyhands off my candycan. Now I have enough for a latte at Starbucks.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
What if your helper is a retired millionaire looking to shed a few pounds before the holidays? My helper is on my truck when I'm working. I eat lunch alone.

Actually, I don't eat with a helper on the car. I try to start them at 11-11:30, I tell them to eat before they start work. I have no restaurants on my area, I pack my lunch. I tell them to bring something to drink and snack on, and carry a few extra bottles of water for those that can't follow simple directions. Its a part time job, you don't need an hour to eat something.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Actually, I don't eat with a helper on the car. I try to start them at 11-11:30, I tell them to eat before they start work. I have no restaurants on my area, I pack my lunch. I tell them to bring something to drink and snack on, and carry a few extra bottles of water for those that can't follow simple directions. Its a part time job, you don't need an hour to eat something.

To put it bluntly, they are on the car to work, not eat.

Indecisi0n

So if you pickup a helper at 11:00AM and are told to keep him for 4 hrs you break the rules by not taking your lunch by 2:00PM?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So if you pickup a helper at 11:00AM and are told to keep him for 4 hrs you break the rules by not taking your lunch by 2:00PM?

I prefer the term "bend"---I take my full lunch and break, just not within the contractually mandated times. The 45 minutes spent eating with the helper would be better spent delivering 40 stops. Also, the helper hours given are a guideline---as long as we run scratch they don't give us a hard time about keeping our helpers longer than we are supposed to.

Indecisi0n

I prefer the term "bend"---I take my full lunch and break, just not within the contractually mandated times. The 45 minutes spent eating with the helper would be better spent delivering 40 stops. Also, the helper hours given are a guideline---as long as we run scratch they don't give us a hard time about keeping our helpers longer than we are supposed to.

You're not bending it but rather breaking it. Not worth it in my opinion, I take my full lunch by 2:00PM with my helper.

Brain Genocide

He bought the first Lunch, after 3 days working tohether. He's been a great guy for these two weeks. He'll even let me sit for a stop or two,
We had an easy day, 280 stops I think, so we had out lunch break at the Italien Deli, sat outside and enjoyed . :)

I can't believe a driver would let u buy his lunch. He must b a great guy!

He didn't let me, I wantd to. I snuck away to use the restroom and stopped at the register. I know what he makes, and I don't give a rats a**.
He's fun to work with, a decent Person in all.

Scratch....either your jealous....you don't have a helper.....or your just the grumpy Grinch this time of year. Next time your in utah I'LL buy you a hot dog . :peaceful:
A driver makes up to four times what a helper does, he should buy the lunch. Any driver thats lets his helper buy his lunch is a sorry excuse for a human being.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He bought the first Lunch, after 3 days working tohether. He's been a great guy for these two weeks. He'll even let me sit for a stop or two,
We had an easy day, 280 stops I think, so we had out lunch break at the Italien Deli, sat outside and enjoyed . :)

He didn't let me, I wantd to. I snuck away to use the restroom and stopped at the register. I know what he makes, and I don't give a rats a**.
He's fun to work with, a decent Person in all.

Scratch....either your jealous....you don't have a helper.....or your just the grumpy Grinch this time of year. Next time your in utah I'LL buy you a hot dog . :peaceful:

Scratch is right. I make more in a day that my helper's first two paychecks combined. We don't stop for lunch but we do stop for a drink and a snack, which I pay for. I will buy him a decent lunch and give him his $50 tip on the 24th.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So then its OK to break the contract?

Bend, not break.:wink2:

I fulfill the intent, if not the word, of the meal clause in the contract.

Would you prefer that I run my whole route and then go sit at the gas station with the other 6-7 drivers who take their lunch at the end of the day? Or better yet, the drivers who come off the road, hand their DIAD to the OMS clerk and ask her to punch the board out in 45 minutes? Or how about the drivers who put a lunch in to the board and work right through it? I take my lunch when it is convenient for me and my customers. I do not take it between the 3rd and 5th hours nor do I take it at the end of the day. I normally take it between 1545/1630 every day as that is the break between my pickups and I am also near my home. When I bid off this area I will try to adjust my lunch schedule to adhere to the 3rd/5th hours rule.

For the purposes of this discussion, taking a lunch with the helper on the car is an inefficient way to use your helper. They are there to work, not eat.

Indecisi0n

Bend, not break.:wink2:

I fulfill the intent, if not the word, of the meal clause in the contract.

Would you prefer that I run my whole route and then go sit at the gas station with the other 6-7 drivers who take their lunch at the end of the day? Or better yet, the drivers who come off the road, hand their DIAD to the OMS clerk and ask her to punch the board out in 45 minutes? Or how about the drivers who put a lunch in to the board and work right through it? I take my lunch when it is convenient for me and my customers. I do not take it between the 3rd and 5th hours nor do I take it at the end of the day. I normally take it between 1545/1630 every day as that is the break between my pickups and I am also near my home. When I bid off this area I will try to adjust my lunch schedule to adhere to the 3rd/5th hours rule.

For the purposes of this discussion, taking a lunch with the helper on the car is an inefficient way to use your helper. They are there to work, not eat.

I wouldn't expect you to do any of those things you mentioned. I would expect you to run your day like any other normal day and take your lunch. Sorry I personally don't let management bully me into "bending" the rules.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If I have a 3 hour helper I'm not wasting 1/2 an hour of it eating and he doesn't want to lose 1/2 an hour of pay watching me eat.

Indecisi0n

If I have a 3 hour helper I'm not wasting 1/2 an hour of it eating and he doesn't want to lose 1/2 an hour of pay watching me eat.

Do you guys even know how a helper hours work? When you are on lunch your "helper hours stop." If you have a helper for 3 hours and you get him at 12:00PM then you can take lunch 2:00-3:00PM then you still have him until 4:00PM. He doesn't get paid to sit in the truck. Wow, I thought that was common knowledge.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Do you guys even know how a helper hours work? When you are on lunch your "helper hours stop." If you have a helper for 3 hours and you get him at 12:00PM then you can take lunch 2:00-3:00PM then you still have him until 4:00PM. He doesn't get paid to sit in the truck. Wow, I thought that was common knowledge.

Would you want to be in a truck for 4 hours and only get paid for 3? Screw the contract, I'm not eating lunch with a helper until the 24th.