Helper Union Dues

Showtyme

So, this is my 3rd time doing driver helper. The first year the pay was 12.88/hr before last year it jumped to 15$/hr. Last year the union dues had one big lump of $20+ for one week and like 8.50 for the other 3 weeks in the month. Unfortunately this year it's raised significantly up to $28.50 for all 3 of paychecks so far including the orientation check which was a little much. This can't be right, right?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Depending on local rules, after so many years as a helper, you may get assessed for dues and initiation fees.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
So, this is my 3rd time doing driver helper. The first year the pay was 12.88/hr before last year it jumped to 15$/hr. Last year the union dues had one big lump of $20+ for one week and like 8.50 for the other 3 weeks in the month. Unfortunately this year it's raised significantly up to $28.50 for all 3 of paychecks so far including the orientation check which was a little much. This can't be right, right?

Have you talked to your steward and are you in a right to work state? You might want to call your local hall about this one.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Some locals do, others don't.

Mine didn't.
I don't think it's right at all. Not because I'm a union hatin' management scum bag. It's because I don't think it's right to force someone to pay dues for a job they aren't going to be around for in a month. Not to mention they aren't represented.

T

Turdferguson

What a scam. Take the money from people who won't even be remembered a month from now.
Almost as big a scam as giving them false hope they will be able to keep working after peak, and that they have a shot for a full time driving gig right out of peak

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I don't think it's right at all. Not because I'm a union hatin' management scum bag. It's because I don't think it's right to force someone to pay dues for a job they aren't going to be around for in a month. Not to mention they aren't represented.

I don't think it's right either. My local did it the first year we used helpers, probably because the system was prepared for them.

The people who were lucky enough to be called back, however, had that problem behind them.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Almost as big a scam as giving them false hope they will be able to keep working after peak, and that they have a shot for a full time driving gig right out of peak
Talk to HR with those concerns. I tell them how it is. Had a guy who was about to go to school quit because I wouldn't guarantee him a permanent position.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You say HR like they are not management?
I tell people HR is in sales. They are selling UPS to you. I was lied to when I was hired too. When guys come in and tell me all the sunshine HR blew up their asses I bring them down to reality. If they still want the job it's theirs. If they don't, no hard feelings.

But not all the stuff HR says is bull. Our last 2 hires were off the street because all the insiders who applied were either DQed because of driving record or just not interested.