Helper union dues

BigSlim

Ok, so I've searched the forums and I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a reasonable answer to my question...

I'm on my 3rd week as a helper, and just saw my 3rd paycheck. And for the 3rd time, I had $22.00 deducted for union dues. I knew going into this temporary job that dues would be deducted, but the way HR made it sound was that it would be a one time deal on one check since I'd only be working a month - even the initiation fees and monthly dues are spread out for the part time employees (so I was told), which obviously I am not.

But $88.00 for 4 weeks of work? It's almost as if I'm getting billed at the part timer rate. I'm trying not to complain but it feels unreasonable that I've been working 2.5 hours a week to be a member of a union for a job I won't have starting next Friday.

I felt like I read somewhere on these forums that I could go to the union and ask for some of the dues back after the peak season is over, but I can't find the post. Any advice?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Ok, so I've searched the forums and I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a reasonable answer to my question...

I'm on my 3rd week as a helper, and just saw my 3rd paycheck. And for the 3rd time, I had $22.00 deducted for union dues. I knew going into this temporary job that dues would be deducted, but the way HR made it sound was that it would be a one time deal on one check since I'd only be working a month - even the initiation fees and monthly dues are spread out for the part time employees (so I was told), which obviously I am not.

But $88.00 for 4 weeks of work? It's almost as if I'm getting billed at the part timer rate. I'm trying not to complain but it feels unreasonable that I've been working 2.5 hours a week to be a member of a union for a job I won't have starting next Friday.

I felt like I read somewhere on these forums that I could go to the union and ask for some of the dues back after the peak season is over, but I can't find the post. Any advice?
Go to the union office once you've finished and ask them why they were stealing your money and when you will be seeing it back.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity

Talk to your driver. Get the information for the local chapter of the union: what # it is, a phone #, address, name & title of the principal officer, maybe a website/email.

Call (or go to) the local union business office and ask. They may have a form to fill out, or you may have to write a letter to the principal officer/executive board. Include the first and last dates you worked, and perhaps how many days you worked in each month, and the fact that you were a seasonal (not permanent) employee. Keep copies of forms filled out or letters sent; or make notes of who you talked to and what they said.

By the way, dues run monthly. So if you worked in both November & December, you would owe 2 months dues (but no initiation fee because you didn't gain seniority).

What is your hourly pay rate as a helper? (that determines what your monthly dues amount is)

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
$10.10 an hour.
The minimum monthly dues for you would be $22/month as established by the Teamsters national constitution (because your pay rate is less than $11/hr). Your Local Union may charge more. Ask for an explanation of how they calculate yours.

Please come back here in January and let us know how it worked out for you, hopefully it will be a simple process.:peaceful:

BigSlim

The minimum monthly dues for you would be $22/month as established by the Teamsters national constitution (because your pay rate is less than $11/hr). Your Local Union may charge more. Ask for an explanation of how they calculate yours.

Please come back here in January and let us know how it worked out for you, hopefully it will be a simple process.:peaceful:
Ok, will do, I can understand getting hit for two months since I started the day before Thanksgiving...but this was the third union deduction, so it doesn't really add up.

Perhaps they made a mistake, especially since I worked 47 hours last week and on my check they only paid me for 25 (a whole different issue altogether).

Thanks for the advice.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Ok, will do, I can understand getting hit for two months since I started the day before Thanksgiving...but this was the third union deduction, so it doesn't really add up.

Perhaps they made a mistake, especially since I worked 47 hours last week and on my check they only paid me for 25 (a whole different issue altogether).

Thanks for the advice.
From what I saw in another of your posts, it looks like you're in southern California. I believe the contract rider there considers you a permanent employee, and they are charging you the initiation fee. Make sure you follow up on this and get a refund for the initiation fee, if you don't get hired on.

Inthegame

There are several variables in play as far as dues for seasonal employees. If you work on the 31st calendar day following your hire date, and you're not in a RTW (for less) state, you must pay initiation and also dues for every month you've worked according to the National Master UPS Agreement with the IBT (Art 3 Sec 2&3).
Often UPS deducts a portion of these obligations prior to the 31st day, to lessen the total deduction on one check. UPS will not tell you of this obligation that they agreed to with the union for fear that every seasonal would walk away on the 30th day and receive a total refund from the union.
So if you started the day before Thanksgiving and you're termed before Christmas, you should contact your local for a refund. Depending on the local rider and practice and if you've paid enough for full initiation you could also receive a withdrawal card in lieu of a refund.
I would suggest a call to the local soon for your options.

Inthegame

I think it is total BS to extract union dues from seasonal employees.
I believe you have posted that already (about a hundred times ), but in some cases and depending on the type of seasonal employee I agree. A seasonal pkg driver working 50+ hours a week and earning the $18.75 start rate or a seasonal Feeder driver earning $25+ should definitely be paying dues. A helper working a couple hours a day should not. However NM Art 3 makes no distinction so my above post is the procedure agreed to by your beloved company and your repugnant union.
Run for delegate on the "No dues for seasonals slate" and bring your issue to the IBT Convention. I'm sure you'll receive a warm reception.
By voting Yes to the last agreement, you've accepted this practice. Next time be a man and vote No for the seasonals... Oh yeah you can't vote again as you're going to retire and accept that union negotiated pension. What's next Don Quixote, you want seasonals to get pension credits too?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
A seasonal pkg driver working 50+ hours a week and earning the $18.75 start rate or a seasonal Feeder driver earning $25+ should definitely be paying dues.
They should pay for representation and benefits they will never see?
By voting Yes to the last agreement, you've accepted this practice. Next time be a man and vote No for the seasonals...
You're treating the contract as a one issue document. Which it is not.

Inthegame

They should pay for representation and benefits they will never see?
OK, then hire enough regular employees to handle peak volume every year, find work for them for 10 months inside and see how that works out.
They should pay dues for the unions efforts to get the wage rate UPS would never offer absent the union contract. Seasonals are the farm team that UPS looks at for future employees.
You're treating the contract as a one issue document. Which it is not.
Thanks for the tip, but obviously you missed the point. You don't like Art 3 Sec 3 tell that to the guys on pg 176. Keep at it tiger, maybe one day you'll be on that list of UPS all-stars. But that'll be the day you'll feel the need to throw away every mirror in your house.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I believe you have posted that already (about a hundred times ), but in some cases and depending on the type of seasonal employee I agree. A seasonal pkg driver working 50+ hours a week and earning the $18.75 start rate or a seasonal Feeder driver earning $25+ should definitely be paying dues. A helper working a couple hours a day should not. However NM Art 3 makes no distinction so my above post is the procedure agreed to by your beloved company and your repugnant union.
Run for delegate on the "No dues for seasonals slate" and bring your issue to the IBT Convention. I'm sure you'll receive a warm reception.
By voting Yes to the last agreement, you've accepted this practice. Next time be a man and vote No for the seasonals... Oh yeah you can't vote again as you're going to retire and accept that union negotiated pension. What's next Don Quixote, you want seasonals to get pension credits too?
Why should seasonal drivers pay?

We had one get in an accident. Was the union anywhere to be seen or heard. Nope.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
OK, then hire enough regular employees to handle peak volume every year, find work for them for 10 months inside and see how that works out.
They should pay dues for the unions efforts to get the wage rate UPS would never offer absent the union contract. Seasonals are the farm team that UPS looks at for future employees.
Thanks for the tip, but obviously you missed the point. You don't like Art 3 Sec 3 tell that to the guys on pg 176. Keep at it tiger, maybe one day you'll be on that list of UPS all-stars. But that'll be the day you'll feel the need to throw away every mirror in your house.
Ups should hire them full time because the union is stealing their money?

You're not even making a remotely decent argument here.

BigSlim

So my driver called his supervisor at lunch to inquire about the dues, and it is $22 a week, no mistake. He wasn't able to give any other useful information about it, other than having him tell me:

"Well, he can always apply for a regular position after Christmas and the dues he's paid will count towards his new employment." My driver laughed at that one and told me good luck.

So I guess I'm stuck with it.

Inthegame

Ups should hire them full time because the union is stealing their money?

You're not even making a remotely decent argument here.
And now another guy that struggles with nuance steps to the plate. (and strikes out)
In non RTW states the union can't touch a penny of their money unless they sign a membership card. They can't work at UPS without being a member. Nobody is getting any money "stolen". I'm not arguing with anyone. I'm merely pointing out the terms that have been agreed to. And the bottom line is and always has been very clear. Go work at the 90% + of non union shops if you don't want to pay dues.

Inthegame

So my driver called his supervisor at lunch to inquire about the dues, and it is $22 a week, no mistake. He wasn't able to give any other useful information about it, other than having him tell me:

"Well, he can always apply for a regular position after Christmas and the dues he's paid will count towards his new employment." My driver laughed at that one and told me good luck.

So I guess I'm stuck with it.
Why is the driver calling a UPS supervisor and asking a union dues question? Reread post 10.