Helper union dues

UPSProbs

So my driver called his supervisor at lunch to inquire about the dues, and it is $22 a week, no mistake. He wasn't able to give any other useful information about it, other than having him tell me:

"Well, he can always apply for a regular position after Christmas and the dues he's paid will count towards his new employment." My driver laughed at that one and told me good luck.

So I guess I'm stuck with it.
Calculate your hourly wage after dues. It will be clear that you can make the same wage elsewhere in a more comfortable work environment.

BigSlim

Why is the driver calling a UPS supervisor and asking a union dues question? Reread post 10.
You're asking someone who's worked for UPS three weeks why my boss called who he did and expect me to know?

I was shorted time on my paycheck so he called to correct it, and the union dues were part of the same conversation. My job is to run and drop off packages, so I have limited control of the situation.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
And now another guy that struggles with nuance steps to the plate. (and strikes out)
In non RTW states the union can't touch a penny of their money unless they sign a membership card. They can't work at UPS without being a member. Nobody is getting any money "stolen". I'm not arguing with anyone. I'm merely pointing out the terms that have been agreed to. And the bottom line is and always has been very clear. Go work at the 90% + of non union shops if you don't want to pay dues.
It's horse :censored2: and everyone knows it. Taking money from someone who has zero chance of ever being represented is unethical at best.

Inthegame

You're asking someone who's worked for UPS three weeks why my boss called who he did and expect me to know?

I was shorted time on my paycheck so he called to correct it, and the union dues were part of the same conversation. My job is to run and drop off packages, so I have limited control of the situation.
Right. Ask your driver if he can either call the BA or get you the number. It should be on the union bulletin board. I've had this experience many times with helpers getting shafted. I believe UPS is abusing the helpers by not telling seasonal employees the impact of working past thirty calendar days. Please reread post 10 and somehow make contact with the local union.

UPSProbs

Right. Ask your driver if he can either call the BA or get you the number. It should be on the union bulletin board. I've had this experience many times with helpers getting shafted. I believe UPS is abusing the helpers by not telling seasonal employees the impact of working past thirty calendar days. Please reread post 10 and somehow make contact with the local union.
This is the union's issue. UPS just agrees to payroll deduct what the union charges.

nj2015

It's horse :censored2: and everyone knows it. Taking money from someone who has zero chance of ever being represented is unethical at best.
No one is forced to work at UPS; a certain competing and non-union package delivery company also hires seasonal workers, too.

Union dues for seasonal workers is the cost of getting a job there. Just like the taxes that are deducted from our paychecks; people complain about government "stealing" our money, when it's nothing more than the cost of working (on the books) in the United States and one's respective state, even if one is never affected (very unlikely someone is never affected) or has to use the services said deductions pay for. Don't like paying taxes? Work in a different state or country. Don't like paying dues? Work for a non-unionized company. But one chooses where they work, whether it be a union shop that collects dues, or a specific state or nation that imposes taxes to support the system that the companies and employees take advantage of to make the money they do. If the driver helpers think the net pay isn't worth it, don't take the job.

Brownslave688

No one is forced to work at UPS; a certain competing and non-union package delivery company also hires seasonal workers, too.

Union dues for seasonal workers is the cost of getting a job there. Just like the taxes that are deducted from our paychecks; people complain about government "stealing" our money, when it's nothing more than the cost of working (on the books) in the United States and one's respective state, even if one is never affected (very unlikely someone is never affected) or has to use the services said deductions pay for. Don't like paying taxes? Work in a different state or country. Don't like paying dues? Work for a non-unionized company. But one chooses where they work, whether it be a union shop that collects dues, or a specific state or nation that imposes taxes to support the system that the companies and employees take advantage of to make the money they do. If the driver helpers think the net pay isn't worth it, don't take the job.
Ahh but the difference is there's a chance you'll use the services those taxes are paying for.

Brownslave688

Seasonal
Workers would be more like Canadian residents paying USA taxes.

nj2015

Ahh but the difference is there's a chance you'll use the services those taxes are paying for.
The contract affects the seasonal workers, no matter how little. Plus a percentage, even if it's very small, will be kept on after the season. I'm not arguing that the seasonal workers aren't getting the bang for their buck when they only work a few hours a week yet must pay union dues. But again, it's their choice to take on the job. There are tens of thousands of seasonal jobs this time of year that are much easier, non-unionized, and available.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Absolutely 100% disagree!

It is extortion, plain and simple.

UPSProbs

I would agree IF the union told them what they were going to take up front.