Helpers already

1080Driver

We had a few routes use helpers this week. I had a helper from 3:00 till done Thursday & Friday.........looks like its gonna be a long peak.....:sad-little:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This time last year, I got a Helper on my mostly DR route. I am now getting add/cuts everyday on my route, with a lot of empty package cars sitting around my Hub every morning. I am expecting a lighter peak myself, its not hitting as early as usual. And my route has a lot of high income customers on it.

1080Driver

They were over Thursday & looking who wanted to go home. Don't know how many went home, the assistant shop steward was looking to put in a grievance if they were sending guys home while sending out helper loads. The split car was cut in my loop, but both the A route (me) and the B route were helper loads. Thats UPS logic for you.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I never saw a helper ever till after Thanksgiving except 1 yr after a blizzard in April we had sups from N.Y.C and R.I come up for 2days and run as helpers!!!! Where in this country do you need helpers before peak?? I know some guys in cape cod and parts of the Maine coast get them during tourist seasons !!!

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
We have 6 driver helpers already. All the split cars are cut. Parttimers are dying for hours and on any given day at least 2 of the 6 helpers dont show up. The reg drivers are being dispatched with 200+ stops a day and are always recieving help out side their helpers. Any driver in our building that is dispatched with a helper has a 9.5 curfiew (sp?) It is crazy how can they justify this? They are only working fulltime drivers however the partime drivers worked as helpers last year and are preparing to be helpers again this year. Ups logic

705red

Browncafe Steward
We have 6 driver helpers already. All the split cars are cut. Parttimers are dying for hours and on any given day at least 2 of the 6 helpers dont show up. The reg drivers are being dispatched with 200+ stops a day and are always recieving help out side their helpers. Any driver in our building that is dispatched with a helper has a 9.5 curfiew (sp?) It is crazy how can they justify this? They are only working fulltime drivers however the partime drivers worked as helpers last year and are preparing to be helpers again this year. Ups logic
Correct me if I'm wrong but you have the right to that work if you can get it done in a reasonable amount of time,(dot regulated hours).

I have drivers that refuse helpers even during peak because they want to work 11, 12 hours and then bonus another 2 to 3 for 15 hours a day.

upsgrunt

Correct me if I'm wrong but you have the right to that work if you can get it done in a reasonable amount of time,(dot regulated hours).

I have drivers that refuse helpers even during peak because they want to work 11, 12 hours and then bonus another 2 to 3 for 15 hours a day.

Red-
We have tried that in our building, but have been told we can't refuse helpers in December. I'm in South Illinois; can we do that?

Steve

705red

Browncafe Steward
Grunt we do it all the time, but the driver has to get it done and bring it in. If he/she doesn't than there is a talk with and they have to use the helper. remember ups does not guarantee service refunds during this time if a package is delayed, so service failures.

Pm LU710 on this site as he is very knowledgeable on the 710 contract and see if he can help.

Yup this is what I was hired for. Apparently I was placed at the mall, to be trained and then for the novemeber-decemeber rush im supposed to train a new guy to help me while the vet whos working with me atm, is going to do a route somewhere else.

Its hard saying no to the ladies in the foodcourt who are like "Free sample? sir! free sample?" and im hauling ass by with a dolly of boxes just saying "maybe later!"

stringerman85

I never saw a helper ever till after Thanksgiving except 1 yr after a blizzard in April we had sups from N.Y.C and R.I come up for 2days and run as helpers!!!! Where in this country do you need helpers before peak?? I know some guys in cape cod and parts of the Maine coast get them during tourist seasons !!!

Good question

outta hours

In my supplement no helpers are allowed until after November 1st. The so called "free period" for UPS. No grievances for 9.5 are allowed either during this time. Just remember when working as instructed you will always make more money.

Merry Christmas.