Helpers and 30 stops in "helper board"?

kingOFchester

We are now being told to put 30 stops in the helper boards. If the helper is not trained on how to use the DIAD, why should I bother putting 30 stops in their board?

I know a lot of you have issues with "bonus babies" but this does hurt my bonus. If they take time away from my dispatch for having a helper, and then I loose 30 stops, I probably won't even make scratch. Are you guys/gals being told to put 30 stops in the helpers board?

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
here in the dirty south we are told to put in 15 stops per helper hr worked,,its a waste of time and energy resources using 2 boards, I just use the helper board until the accepted number is reached, then throw it in the back of the truck, some Einstein in corporate must think the helpers are really using the boards

kingOFchester

here in the dirty south we are told to put in 15 stops per helper hr worked,,its a waste of time and energy resources using 2 boards, I just use the helper board until the accepted number is reached, then throw it in the back of the truck, some Einstein in corporate must think the helpers are really using the boards

But doesn't this constitute "falsifying records"? If it is not my board, does not have my ID, not my name, not my start/finish time...then it would seem that I would be falsifying records if I am actually using his/her board.

rocket man

We are now being told to put 30 stops in the helper boards. If the helper is not trained on how to use the DIAD, why should I bother putting 30 stops in their board?

I know a lot of you have issues with "bonus babies" but this does hurt my bonus. If they take time away from my dispatch for having a helper, and then I loose 30 stops, I probably won't even make scratch. Are you guys/gals being told to put 30 stops in the helpers board?
what is a bouns ? dont you work by the hour ? can you explain how it works please?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The last couple peaks it's been 40 stops in the helper board at my building. Pretty much everyone does what hellfire said, use the helper board for the first 40 stops and then toss it in the back. It's a pain because we're on diad4 and the helper boards are all diad3.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Some of the helpers are really using the boards. I have had the same helper for 3 Peaks and he is trained on the DIAD to the point where he can deliver a medical office building with multiple suites while I deliver the other medical office building with multiple suites next door.

I agree that mandating a minimum number of stops with an inexperienced helper is foolish. Most of the drivers who have this situation simply throw 30 stops in the board and throw it in the back.

That being said, it's not that hard to train a helper in the basics of the DIAD. It is much easier now that we have PAS/EDD. My helper even knows how to use Find BC.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Why pay you bonus or ot when you can pay a helper 8 dollars an hour....pretty easy decision by the company. That is why everybody gets helpers these days...even rural routes.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Koc...wait until they take away your bonus and your doing the same workload but are an hour over now....its already happen here a couple of times.

browniehound

I usually argue that things are not for numbers alone.

In this case, this is a pure numbers game.

This adds no value.

Thank you Pretzel for the honest response. I understand why UPS uses numbers. Certain numbers, if made, create a predicted result or bottom line in theory. Problem is using the helper board ourselves(the driver) to meet the quota of stops slows us down and confuses the entire day with my helper. Its great if he knows how to use it and goes and delivers a school while i knock off 5 stops is a huge help, but if he doesn't and I need to put 70 stops in it myself it certainly slows us down, thus creating a good number but retarding our actual production

So my point is:why does UPS have to play the numbers game with the helper boards? Who are they trying to prove anything to with these "helper board numbers"? It certainly isn't Wall Street because they certainly don't see these numbers ( this also begs the question:if UPS is screwing with helper board numbers, god only knows what they are doing to fudge their accounting to impress Wall Street).

Its things like this that make me shake my head at UPS. I'm pro-UPS all the way, love the job, wouldn't want to work anywhere else(within reason,lol) and almost bleed brown. However, some of the things UPS does embarrasses me or makes me think twice of my pride for working at UPS.

The number 1 thing is having 2 or 3 drivers delivering on the same street at the same time, or having our customers have to deal with 2-3 different drivers depending on the day of the week. Prior to EDD/PAS these customers had the same driver for 15 years day in and day out. Does UPS REALLY NEED to do this?

In my opinion, add/cuts are the worse thing to ever come down the pike because nobody ever gets it right except the driver and I mean getting it right because its the driver that ends up taking the brunt of these mistakes and delivering these mistakes. Ok, I just went on a tangent here but I think this needs to be said: ENOUGH already with the add/cuts! Have a plan and stick to it. Send help later if needed. For example, the purpose of add/cuts are to lighten a diver who is heavy and add work to lighter load. Problem is 10/10 times the pre loader can't find all the packages to take from the heavy car. So now this driver has to go to the area and deliver the 2-5 stops that didn't get pulled and the driver that was light skates free of the extra 2-5 stops he was intended to receive.

Seriously, this happens 10/10 times. The pre-loader NEVER gets all of them, ever. There is always some piece of bulk or what-ever stuffed behind other parcels with the package weighing 95 LBS and the label is face-down on the floor (Gee, no wonder you couldn't find it nit-wit, I cant find it either when you put the label down on the floor and you can't move the thing). Then, you get entire add/cuts that don't get cut or added so now the heavy driver is stuck with 15 stops that are not in his EDD and the light driver is 15 stops less than he is showing EDD.

This crap happens EVERY DAY! And its not like the pre load are sitting around fiddling their thumbs. Can you imagine someone coming down and telling you to remove 25 parcels that you hustled to load to make their pieces per hour only to be told to remove them and put them back in the cages? I was always told once you touch the package once more than needed you are going to over-allowed. I guess its gospel on the pre load to touch at least 25 parcels once more than needed.

AH, add/cuts. Just get rid of them. Its cost too much money to fix these errors that were intended to save money in theory. Can't they just leave it alone? It would save time, miles, and overall efficiency if they stuck to a plan and let it ride. Seriously, do the baselines have to change every day? Or for that matter do all the routes have to change EVERYDAY?

Remember the days when your route was your route and there was no question who got what? AH, how I long for the good old days...

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I gave up on this years last year, I just used my helpers board all day, even after he was not on car. I put like 8 stops in my board and over 150 in my helper board one day. No one said boo. I do not understand this, I do not get the point of it. I guess some idiot up the line understands this and why its not a waste of time. I wish they would let us in on why its not a waste of time.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Why pay you bonus or ot when you can pay a helper 8 dollars an hour....pretty easy decision by the company. That is why everybody gets helpers these days...even rural routes.

I run a rural route and have not seen a helper in 4 years. Somebody should tell my management team that I should get one! Worked 11.5 hours today all by myself.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have to do 40 stops in the helper's board here and a paper time card. Its stupid to me, DIAD 4 has a field to add your Helper's ID number and start and finish times. I just use the DIAD 3 the whole time my Helper is on the car. I have been putting 80-90 in his board and 80-90 in mine. I started my Helper this week and have been told to only use him for three hours and fifty-five minutes a day. In the past, I would start my Helper at 11:00 AM and use him until I was through. Now I have to let him go early and work even longer in the dark by myself at. So instead of using a Helper making eight bucks an hour, I am making an extra hour overtime at over $46 an hour. It seems insane to me that somebody makes decisions like this.

bumped

But doesn't this constitute "falsifying records"? If it is not my board, does not have my ID, not my name, not my start/finish time...then it would seem that I would be falsifying records if I am actually using his/her board.

I think using a helper board is a way to make sure the helper shows up that he worked that particular day. Your driver ID is also linked to that board, so I wouldn't consider that falsifying records. You put your id in when the "H" for helper is indicated.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Thank you Pretzel for the honest response. I understand why UPS uses numbers. Certain numbers, if made, create a predicted result or bottom line in theory. Problem is using the helper board ourselves(the driver) to meet the quota of stops slows us down and confuses the entire day with my helper. Its great if he knows how to use it and goes and delivers a school while i knock off 5 stops is a huge help, but if he doesn't and I need to put 70 stops in it myself it certainly slows us down, thus creating a good number but retarding our actual production

So my point is:why does UPS have to play the numbers game with the helper boards? Who are they trying to prove anything to with these "helper board numbers"? It certainly isn't Wall Street because they certainly don't see these numbers ( this also begs the question:if UPS is screwing with helper board numbers, god only knows what they are doing to fudge their accounting to impress Wall Street).

Its things like this that make me shake my head at UPS. I'm pro-UPS all the way, love the job, wouldn't want to work anywhere else(within reason,lol) and almost bleed brown. However, some of the things UPS does embarrasses me or makes me think twice of my pride for working at UPS.

The number 1 thing is having 2 or 3 drivers delivering on the same street at the same time, or having our customers have to deal with 2-3 different drivers depending on the day of the week. Prior to EDD/PAS these customers had the same driver for 15 years day in and day out. Does UPS REALLY NEED to do this?

In my opinion, add/cuts are the worse thing to ever come down the pike because nobody ever gets it right except the driver and I mean getting it right because its the driver that ends up taking the brunt of these mistakes and delivering these mistakes. Ok, I just went on a tangent here but I think this needs to be said: ENOUGH already with the add/cuts! Have a plan and stick to it. Send help later if needed. For example, the purpose of add/cuts are to lighten a diver who is heavy and add work to lighter load. Problem is 10/10 times the pre loader can't find all the packages to take from the heavy car. So now this driver has to go to the area and deliver the 2-5 stops that didn't get pulled and the driver that was light skates free of the extra 2-5 stops he was intended to receive.

Seriously, this happens 10/10 times. The pre-loader NEVER gets all of them, ever. There is always some piece of bulk or what-ever stuffed behind other parcels with the package weighing 95 LBS and the label is face-down on the floor (Gee, no wonder you couldn't find it nit-wit, I cant find it either when you put the label down on the floor and you can't move the thing). Then, you get entire add/cuts that don't get cut or added so now the heavy driver is stuck with 15 stops that are not in his EDD and the light driver is 15 stops less than he is showing EDD.

This crap happens EVERY DAY! And its not like the pre load are sitting around fiddling their thumbs. Can you imagine someone coming down and telling you to remove 25 parcels that you hustled to load to make their pieces per hour only to be told to remove them and put them back in the cages? I was always told once you touch the package once more than needed you are going to over-allowed. I guess its gospel on the pre load to touch at least 25 parcels once more than needed.

AH, add/cuts. Just get rid of them. Its cost too much money to fix these errors that were intended to save money in theory. Can't they just leave it alone? It would save time, miles, and overall efficiency if they stuck to a plan and let it ride. Seriously, do the baselines have to change every day? Or for that matter do all the routes have to change EVERYDAY?

Remember the days when your route was your route and there was no question who got what? AH, how I long for the good old days...

Really.....are you trying to write a book...its the new UPS dude...embrace the suck!