Helpers and 30 stops in "helper board"?

rod

Retired 22 years
I used to put most all the stops on the helpers board. That way after peak if a follow up or complaint came in I colud always blame "the other guy". :surprised:

What'dyabringmetoday???

I think that if all of you folks with helpers just nodded and went out and put however many stops they say to put into the board, they probably would stop telling you to put however many stops into the board that they are telling you to put into the board.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Or, offer to put more stops into the board than they tell you to and they likely will tell you to put less stops into the board. You need to remember- these people need to justify their existence.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Why even bother trying to meet their quota in the first place? Why worry about it? They are just puppets reading a corporate-generated PCM. Its just a number. It doesnt mean anything. When I am out there in the real world trying to get a route done with a helper, I have way more important things to worry about than having to spoon-feed yet another meaningless number to some bean-counter. If he doesnt like the fact that I only put 7 stops in my helper board, he can get off of his fat dead ass and go whine to someone else about it.

Indecisi0n

In the beginning i was putting 30 stops in the board before i even picked up my helper lol. Like said above after that it was thrown in the back of the truck. Then i thought about using my helper in a different way. We have tight courts and i wanted to try dropping him off with a loaded cart. I trained him how to use the DIAD and he is now really good with it. He can even do signature required which is nice. Now i can drop him off with about 15-20 stops while i go bang out another 20 stops on my own. It has worked out pretty good.

packageguy

We are now being told to put 30 stops in the helper boards. If the helper is not trained on how to use the DIAD, why should I bother putting 30 stops in their board?

I know a lot of you have issues with "bonus babies" but this does hurt my bonus. If they take time away from my dispatch for having a helper, and then I loose 30 stops, I probably won't even make scratch. Are you guys/gals being told to put 30 stops in the helpers board?

Sorry, what is scratch......

tarbar66

How many centers have helpers that deliver malls out of a TP60. A driver drops off the TP60 & helper Diad, delivers the 10:30 air. The driver may see the helper but not always.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
For the past few years i have put all of the stops in the helper board once i pick him up. There is no GPS in the helper boards so if a DR claim arises after peak i dont have to worry about being charged with a mis delivery and since it's the helpers name on the claim form i can,as has been stated: blame it on the helper who is no longer with the company. This came in handy year before last when a customer that i KNEW had gotten the packages claimed non reciept

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
thats one thing I like about the DIAD3!

when your Preload Supervisor was our center manager he'd take all of the DR claims that were submitted in January and go inspect the address and where it was recorded as being left. If he didnt feel it was a safe DR(out of sight /weather) he'd charge the driver with Improper DR and try to get the driver to play the claim. Putting all of the stops in a helper board came in quite handy when dealing with his shennagians

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
it's because those stops in the helper board will be factored into your center's numbers for how many helpers you'll be allowed to hire for next year; so no stops in the board = your center isn't using helpers efficiently = you won't get as many helpers next year

just do your first 30 stops in the helper board and run the rest of your day with your helper however the hell you want

browniehound

it's because those stops in the helper board will be factored into your center's numbers for how many helpers you'll be allowed to hire for next year; so no stops in the board = your center isn't using helpers efficiently = you won't get as many helpers next year

just do your first 30 stops in the helper board and run the rest of your day with your helper however the hell you want

This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard yet at UPS and I've heard a ton. The plan for next year is based on stops in the helper board this year? Are they serious? One thing has absolutely nothing to do with the other. No?

Instead, doesn't it just make sense to just use the helper's time card, the driver's time card, and the stop count to figure out what the plan should be???

I can't believe a private business owner or the center manager(if it was actually his own, hard earned money) on his own saying "Put these numbers on paper for me so I look good even though it doesn't reflect reality". This is essentially what UPS is saying with the helper boards, yet these numbers go unnoticed because the company is so large.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
For the past few years i have put all of the stops in the helper board once i pick him up. There is no GPS in the helper boards so if a DR claim arises after peak i dont have to worry about being charged with a mis delivery and since it's the helpers name on the claim form i can,as has been stated: blame it on the helper who is no longer with the company. This came in handy year before last when a customer that i KNEW had gotten the packages claimed non reciept

Article 10 Section 1 of the National Master agreement states.....

"No employee shall be disciplined or required to make reimbursement for lost or damaged parcels unless the Employer demonstrates that the Employee, without justification or mitigation, violated pertinent established rules or policies, the observance of which would have prevented the loss or damage. In no event shall a driver be subject to reimbursment for loss or damage to a Driver Release parcel valued at $100 or less."

The reality....is that the company is not going to get anywhere trying to make a driver (who is working with a helper) pay for a DR claim in a crowded residential area during peak season unless it can prove beyond a doubt that the driver was grossly negligent.

UPSGUY72

Just put the 30 stops in the helper board and put it in the back of the car. Everyone in management knows that is what happens. I'm pretty sure the helper board has something to due with getting them in the pay system each day.

Anyways I put 30 stops in there board than put it in the back. I don't let them touch there board that way I don't have to go back and try to fix what they messed up. They are my sunner I don't get out of the car unless there are two or more stops that can be delivered from the same park position.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just put the 30 stops in the helper board and put it in the back of the car. Everyone in management knows that is what happens. I'm pretty sure the helper board has something to due with getting them in the pay system each day.

Anyways I put 30 stops in there board than put it in the back. I don't let them touch there board that way I don't have to go back and try to fix what they messed up. They are my sunner I don't get out of the car unless there are two or more stops that can be delivered from the same park position.

Don't take this personally as it is not meant to be but this is textbook "How Not To Use A Helper 101". The helper is there to assist you, not to be your *****. It is not that hard to teach the helper the basics of the DIAD and with PAS/EDD it is even easier. Having a helper who knows how to use the DIAD is a huge asset. Also, the ideal would be for both of you to be delivering at the same time whenever possible. I know my helper would be pissed if I didn't get out of the car all day and I wouldn't blame him at all. Whenever we have two deliveries fairly close to one another I will "split the difference" by parking between both stops. He will run off one while I run off the other. If I know he will be back to the car before I am I give him the keys and tell him to get the next two or more stops ready. He is able to do this as he knows how to read EDD and how to find the packages using the PAL's. We do the same when we deliver adjacent medical office buildings with multiple suites. I give him the building that does not need the hand cart while I deliver the one that does. We normally are back at the car at about the same time; if not, I will set up the next section while waiting for him or vice versa. I know that I only have my helper until 1500 at the latest so I must make the best use of the time that I have him on the car.

Simply throwing 30 stops in to the helper DIAD and then throwing it in the back serves no purpose other than to satisfy a metric which P-man himself admits is of no value to anyone.

I am on vacation Thanksgiving week, which is when my helper is supposed to start working. Having a helper who can use the DIAD will greatly benefit the casual covering my area that week.

bigbrownhen

I also train my helper to use the Diad. It's rather handy to run off commercial stops at the same time. I have an outside helper this year, so our first couple of days have been slow, but gaining everyday.

Indecisi0n

So can a helper board scan while traveling and release a package anywhere without being able to me traced like the new ones?