Helpers and 30 stops in "helper board"?

Re-Raise

it's because those stops in the helper board will be factored into your center's numbers for how many helpers you'll be allowed to hire for next year; so no stops in the board = your center isn't using helpers efficiently = you won't get as many helpers next year

just do your first 30 stops in the helper board and run the rest of your day with your helper however the hell you want

In day one of management training do they tell you to just make crap like this up when confronted with a question about policy???

outta hours

You should not put stops in a board with out your name on it, ever. Nor should you be training a helper how to use the board. That is a supervisors job. Let them train the helper, as an hourly it is not your job to train other hourly employees.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You should not put stops in a board with out your name on it, ever. Nor should you be training a helper how to use the board. That is a supervisors job. Let them train the helper, as an hourly it is not your job to train other hourly employees.

Why don't you worry about getting the loads here on time and we will worry about getting them delivered?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Unless ... you are directed to train the helper on how to use the DIAD.
There is no safety issue, health issue or a contractual issue that would keep a Union employee from training another person.

Any driver being this big a dipstick would have a huge target on their back going forward.

I know you are a level headed person and this post is a bit off for you ... everybody has those moments.

Limper

Out For Delivery
My helper couldn't get a ride and was a no-show one day. Message from center was STILL get your 30 stops in your helper board. What?!

outta hours

Why don't you worry about getting the loads here on time and we will worry about getting them delivered?

I would hope neither of us would "worry" about any of it. If you get the volume in on time and the sort goes down on time, I will get to where I am going on time. It all starts with you. :wink2:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Put your own name and employee ID in both boards. Throw 30 stops in the helper board. Punch that board out.

No.

Sometimes we are instructed to do things that are so futile, so pointless, and so completely devoid of any rational purpose that we have to draw a line in the sand.

I have never met my 30 stop quota. Not once. I have much more important things to worry about during a 13 hour peak-season day than helping some idiot to look better on a report.

I would be willing to risk disciplinary action just for the comedic value of watching them try to suspend me for "failing to put 30 stops in a helper DIAD."

They arent even going to try, because that would put them in the position of having to defend and explain that asinine demand in an open forum. And they arent ever going to do that....at least they havent chosen to so far.

My concern...is getting the packages delivered in the most efficient manner possible. Period. Sometimes that means 20 or even 25 stops in the helper board. Other times, it means zero. Conditions change, delivery areas change, helpers change. I adjust to those changing conditions and make the most cost-effective decisions I possibly can every day. Mindless manipulation of stupid and irrelevant metrics is management's job, not mine.

kingOFchester

No.

Sometimes we are instructed to do things that are so futile, so pointless, and so completely devoid of any rational purpose that we have to draw a line in the sand.

First peak:

Lost brakes in a 700. Called Sup, was directed "keep working the residential area, work safely, we will get you another truck" I did but never again.

Last Summer:

Got message to call center while covering a route. I called center and was told "You have a signature required on truck for a 3rd attempt, we spoke to the customer and she says its ok to leave the package in door and sign her name." I said "no problem, send the message to me in my DIAD and I will follow direction"......Center says " Uhhhh.....ooook ok" Several minutes later green light comes on and message states "Never mind, bring in for will call"....."Request acknowledged and accepted"

I work hard, try hard, but I have learned to draw that line in the sand.

local287driver

UPS Driver
We are now being told to put 30 stops in the helper boards. If the helper is not trained on how to use the DIAD, why should I bother putting 30 stops in their board?

I know a lot of you have issues with "bonus babies" but this does hurt my bonus. If they take time away from my dispatch for having a helper, and then I loose 30 stops, I probably won't even make scratch. Are you guys/gals being told to put 30 stops in the helpers board?

i've always noticed it helps my bonus, being the helpers (if you have them logged in as a helper in their board with your employee ID linked) can't get time credit, so it gets combined with yours. What i've always heard is whatever they put in your truck, you technically should get credit for since you are at least dealing with it at one point or another.

brownman15

Unless ... you are directed to train the helper on how to use the DIAD.
There is no safety issue, health issue or a contractual issue that would keep a Union employee from training another person.

Any driver being this big a dipstick would have a huge target on their back going forward.

I know you are a level headed person and this post is a bit off for you ... everybody has those moments.

fine then that driver will get paid the extra $.50 per hour for training

brownedout

No.

I have never met my 30 stop quota. Not once. I have much more important things to worry about during a 13 hour peak-season day than helping some idiot to look better on a report.

I would be willing to risk disciplinary action just for the comedic value of watching them try to suspend me for "failing to put 30 stops in a helper DIAD."

They arent even going to try, because that would put them in the position of having to defend and explain that asinine demand in an open forum. And they arent ever going to do that....at least they havent chosen to so far.

My concern...is getting the packages delivered in the most efficient manner possible. Period. Sometimes that means 20 or even 25 stops in the helper board. Other times, it means zero. Conditions change, delivery areas change, helpers change. I adjust to those changing conditions and make the most cost-effective decisions I possibly can every day. Mindless manipulation of stupid and irrelevant metrics is management's job, not mine.
Feel exactly the same way sober. This is now the 5th year we are being instructed to enter 30 stops into the helper board. Each peak I have met the 30, 3 maybe 4 times. Most days it will be 10-20. Some days a few or even 0. I tend to not even think about the helper board until 5:30-6:00 my commercial pick ups are complete, my last 100 stops are hopefully, mostly sorted, or at the very least I have seen and touched them. The residential section I resume with at this point is tree covered and you don't even get the little light we get from the moon. I like the light from DIAD III a little better in this section than the light from DIAD IV. Of course I am much more accustomed to DIAD IV so there's a bit of a contradiction. As for punching the DIAD out before returning to the building. NEVER!! It's nice to have a back-up. I have tried numerous times to train helpers on the DIAD, they just don't seem interested in learning. Those of you who have been lucky enough to have helpers that want to learn, all the better for you.