Helpers and Peak Routes

Chnandler Bong

Contractually speaking, when does peak start? When can they begin to use helpers? I originally thought it was from Thanksgiving to Christmas, but I think that's wrong. And 8 hour requests....are they done on November 1st or Thanksgiving?

Also, contractually speaking, when can a driver be pulled from his bid route in order to accomodate for peak? I've been getting pulled every year for the past 8 years, but when can they start doing this?

I've looked through the contract but it gave me more of a headache than anything else...

Maybe some of the sups on here can enlighten me.

brownrodster

It most likely differs across the country as I think it's defined in the supplements. My center can use helpers and peak drivers after Oct 1.

Read your contract or ask your steward.

jthor99

I don't want to start a thread because I don't believe my next question is "thread worthy", but I couldn't find any information on the friend & Q section either.

Anyway, I have an interview next Monday as a Driver Helper for the holidays. I noted on my application that I wouldn't be able to start until Nov 20th (I'm putting my 2 weeks in at my current job tomorrow)...with that being said I just don't want to not get the job because I can't start right away.

This is something I will obvious express in my interview, but is this a reason they wouldn't hire me because I wouldn't be able to start until I fulfilled my obligation on my current employer?

upswrench

I would not even think of leaving a current job to just work for a month then be unemployed think about it for a minute you will not get a job at the end of peak. If you are just a helper.

PAUPSER

I would not even think of leaving a current job to just work for a month then be unemployed think about it for a minute you will not get a job at the end of peak. If you are just a helper.

I agree with the last post, as a temporary helper your only needed when they need you and your not guaranteed nothing. Trust me you will be out of work in a month and be out on the street with no job. I don’t mean to come off as being a jerk but it’s the truth. With way the economy is and with ups already in talks of lay-offs with current permanent employees. The chances of you getting hired after peak season in a permanent position is slim to none!

jthor99

I agree with the last post, as a temporary helper your only needed when they need you and your not guaranteed nothing. Trust me you will be out of work in a month and be out on the street with no job. I don’t mean to come off as being a jerk but it’s the truth. With way the economy is and with ups already in talks of lay-offs with current permanent employees. The chances of you getting hired after peak season in a permanent position is slim to none!

I should of included that in my OP. At my current job I've been making 40K over the past 1 and 1/2 I still live at home and have 0 bills. I have plenty of $ saved.

I'm going back to school in Jan full time, so I was just looking for something to keep my busy in the meantime.

PAUPSER

I should of included that in my OP. At my current job I've been making 40K over the past 1 and 1/2 I still live at home and have 0 bills. I have plenty of $ saved.

I'm going back to school in Jan full time, so I was just looking for something to keep my busy in the meantime.

well what the hell is wrong with you? ok you are how old? and make what 40K a year and live at home? So what the hell would you quit your current job to work at ups to back to school for something to do? When you have 0’ bills?
Well im 26 been with ups since I was 18 and have a masters in business administration and still live at home with maybe $40,000 in debit including school loans and car loans and yes I am doing well actually a lot better then most people with a college ed and that’s sad; however, again ups will only hire you as a temp so ya if you want something to do for the next month and a half that’s fine but I am telling you after that you will not have :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:, so I don’t know why you would give up a 40k job for this unless you have something good lined up after your 1 ½ month stay at ups while you attend school

Johney

Please don't feed the trolls:peaceful:
Leave $40,000 in an 18 month period to make $8.50 an hour for maybe 5 hrs a day? TROLL or SUCKER.
H.R. rep- Sure we"ll hire you as a driver after peak if you work as a helper.
Reality- NOT.

brownrodster

well what the hell is wrong with you? ok you are how old? and make what 40K a year and live at home?

I was actually in the same situation. A 40k per year job. No debt. Quit my job, went to college. then started working at UPS.... 40k a year isn't a whole lot. And it definately is not enough to keep you at a job you don't like.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Please don't feed the trolls:peaceful:
Leave $40,000 in an 18 month period to make $8.50 an hour for maybe 5 hrs a day? TROLL or SUCKER.
H.R. rep- Sure we"ll hire you as a driver after peak if you work as a helper.
Reality- NOT.

I quit a 60k/year job in 2001 at 23 years old, to work part-time at UPS and work part-time with a friend and business partner in landscaping/construction. Made maybe 35 or 40k the following years....sure it wasn't planned that way, but that's the way it goes.

i'm not troll or sucker, though, so you never know.

New Englander

well what the hell is wrong with you? ok you are how old? and make what 40K a year and live at home? So what the hell would you quit your current job to work at ups to back to school for something to do? When you have 0’ bills?
Well im 26 been with ups since I was 18 and have a masters in business administration and still live at home with maybe $40,000 in debit including school loans and car loans and yes I am doing well actually a lot better then most people with a college ed and that’s sad; however, again ups will only hire you as a temp so ya if you want something to do for the next month and a half that’s fine but I am telling you after that you will not have :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:, so I don’t know why you would give up a 40k job for this unless you have something good lined up after your 1 ½ month stay at ups while you attend school

Obviously written by someone with a masters!