Helpers in June

browned out

Our supplement allows the company to use "vacation replacement" free hire drivers during the months of May - August. Could they use them as helpers rather than as drivers and get away with it? This keeps them from actually having to train them.

No; these helpers are part time hourly's and It was not even offered by seniority. Grievance was filed today.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It seems like thing are going full steam...is ups getting busier while stating that they are loosing money...something isnt right. There has been so much emphasis on fedex and how they are going to take us out unless something is done. I know they are a strong company but as many state....the small pkg segment IS a duopoly...ups and fedex.

brown bomber

brown bomber
Friday night at 1855 I had 25 left. Sent a message I might go over 12. No return message. Made it under 12. No helper.

you must start early.............1855, w/ 25 stops left......................that's a normal day......we start @ 900.........you do the math.........most drivers work until 1930, or later

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Tell me why there is NOBODY else out there after 6 pm EXCEPT UPS.......no post office or dhl or fedex, except for the occasional ground driver....no freight trucks either. Fedex seems to be able to make a profit working drivers under 9 hours, but ups cant seem to figure this out, just like not being able to load an 8 hr day on a car..they just cant do it.

SWORDFISH

Tell me why there is NOBODY else out there after 6 pm EXCEPT UPS.......no post office or dhl or fedex, except for the occasional ground driver....no freight trucks either. Fedex seems to be able to make a profit working drivers under 9 hours, but ups cant seem to figure this out, just like not being able to load an 8 hr day on a car..they just cant do it.

The USPS and fedex drivers around here say they would like some over time because they get none.:peaceful:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The USPS and fedex drivers around here say they would like some over time because they get none.:peaceful:

Some is ok, being forced to be out until 8 is another story altogether. the usps says that drivers production goes down when it gets dark out..plus theres a safety issue.

screamin chicken

we are, 4 routes cut yesterday, 2 drivers used as helpers and just about everyone was over 9.5 with peak stops, and the Union does nothing, why do I pay my dues?????????

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
we are, 4 routes cut yesterday, 2 drivers used as helpers and just about everyone was over 9.5 with peak stops, and the Union does nothing, why do I pay my dues?????????
What do you want the union to do? Did you or anybody file a grievance? If yes, on what article! Were the helpers full time drivers?

screamin chicken

SC no one files, the Union will not do a thing. Day 2 170, 4 routes cut again and 3 drivers used as helpers, and 2 PT as helpers as well. Start time on mon is 855, I clocked out at 1932 the report says I work 921 so someone is playing with numbers also.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
SC no one files, the Union will not do a thing. Day 2 170, 4 routes cut again and 3 drivers used as helpers, and 2 PT as helpers as well. Start time on mon is 855, I clocked out at 1932 the report says I work 921 so someone is playing with numbers also.
Apparently you are aptly named.
If no one files, the union cannot do anything.
As I see it, if they want to put 2 qualified full time drivers on a car, then there is no vioaltation.
The 2 part timers working as helpers need to be grieved if there is no agreement in place with your local.
Continue to do nothing and your a "Screamin Chicken".

softshoe

If you want help from your local, then maybe EVERYONE should start filing .

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

As long as the drivers are making full scale I agree who cares, as for the Union doing nothing how the hell are they supposed to do anything if no one files a grievance. If you don't want to be over 9.5 follow the contract, the Union can't make you do that only you can. If someone is messing with numbers you better be getting on the phone to the 800 number and HR and D/M and Business Agent. If you don't then your a Stupid Screaming Chicken.I love it when you a**holes bitch about the Union not doin anything when YOU ARE THE UNION. Grow some balls and do something other than bitch on the internet!!!!!!!

screamin chicken

Well i have called the Corp. hotline 3-4 times that got me far, but at least I have a paper trail. I have filed griviences and to be honest i never get the out come, heck i bet they never leave my center manager office. I call the union hall and it's always the same they are out on the rd, i leave a name, and # and it's a week before I get a return call. The Union know what exactly is going on by us drivers but they sit on there butts and do nothing.

browned out

Our local is now working on grievances from 10 or 11 days of abuses. Contract states that Union and company must agree to use helpers at times other than nov and dec.. The contract also state that AM or Air drivers will be allowed to do this extra work. Instead they are asked to help at $5- $6less dollars and hour.

The company will try to get away with whatever it thinks it can. As stated many times over on the BC. Willing victims will be victimized.

AcesUp804

like said earlier he at local 804 we still have helpers in the bronx , the only thing our book says is that after christmas helpers get paid $17.00 an hour ,,