Helping other drivers

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
For the last time. BONUS IS TIME AND A HALF, NOT STRAIGHT TIME! There, I feel better. When you have to meet to take stops once again we are doing the supes job. Between the OMS and and the drivers, what the hell do the supes do to earn their money?

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Its' more like they call it a 8.5 day. You bust your chops all day and it takes 9.5 Then they want to know why it took so long to get it done. So if you skip your personal time, bust your chops you make break even and just donate your personal time. The next day you have more work because you were able to get in earlier. UPS isn't about giving out free money. Time studies and allowances are not put in to be in your favor. Do your job as directed and take your personal time. Go home safe each night and feel good about the hard work you did. ( fair days work for a fair days pay) They hate it when you say that.
:wink2:

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
if i hear the famous"you were paid over yesterday" speech again im gonna hurl. i take pride in the job i do.i follow thier methods each and every day. if i dont make it in 9.5 oh well. they still cant seem to adjust my dispatch. and then when i get in the next morning its the same story. if i didnt have to go to the center every morning and listen to them tell me how hard i dont work i would have the greatest job in the world.

For the last time. BONUS IS TIME AND A HALF, NOT STRAIGHT TIME! There, I feel better. When you have to meet to take stops once again we are doing the supes job. Between the OMS and and the drivers, what the hell do the supes do to earn their money?
What region are you in? Here in the southern region, bonus is STRAIGHT TIME.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
Yeah, you gotta love those diad messages wherein the sup demands that you go help so and so. Especially wonderful when you find out that all the part-time folks got sent home. There are some drivers at my centre that I absolutely refuse to help. Two of them are just outright slackers who milk the company for all kinds of overtime while doing as little work as possible. Another guy I just don't help out of spite because he is the guy you go and help and when you get back to the centre you find out he punched out an hour ago. Gotta love that.

ups79

What region are you in? Here in the southern region, bonus is STRAIGHT TIME.

Don't you have to assume that you are always going to be dispatched at least a 8 hour day? Therefore anytime you run bonus it would have to be after 8 hours, which is paid 1.5 times per day.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Don't you have to assume that you are always going to be dispatched at least a 8 hour day? Therefore anytime you run bonus it would have to be after 8 hours, which is paid 1.5 times per day.

Are you a driver? If you are, I don't think you grasp the concept of bonus.

If you have a planned 9.5 day and you run it in 9 hours, then you get paid 8 hours straight time/1 hour overtime/and in my center, 30 minutes bonus time, which is paid at straight time rate.

ups79

Are you a driver? If you are, I don't think you grasp the concept of bonus.

If you have a planned 9.5 day and you run it in 9 hours, then you get paid 8 hours straight time/1 hour overtime/and in my center, 30 minutes bonus time, which is paid at straight time rate.

No, I retired from a bonus center. 9.5 dispatched done in 9 hours, for the day you still get 8 hours at straight time and 1.5 hours of overtime(time and 1/2). What so difficult to understand. If you do it in 8 hours, you still get 8 hours straight time and 1.5 hours at time and 1/2.

Hangingon

I would assume it's in the supplement since it seems to vary by region. In our area, mid-atlantic, it's paid at the overtime rate.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I help if I can, which lately I have helped alot. I no longer care, if I cant go home in 8, Ill work 12. The guys I go help get slammed every day. Christmas eve, for instance, I took 12 from the guy near me, who has kids, and had an eta of 845. I had no plans, he has kids, and family, so my little help that would have took him 10 minutes, took me 1/2 hr, but it got him in a little earlier. Saved him from going to that area at all. It was still daylight so even without a map I was OK. After dark I dont like to help in areas I do not know as I plain cant find em like I used to. I get done too late to usually help, but I do what I can since Im on OT anyway, why not? Now if I have something going on, I just give a late eta, and they find someone else. But I hate seeing a good guy get slammed, if I can help. Yes its not always the fault of the driver, but whatever happened to the dispatch is over, and wont be fixed at 5pm, or ever, so I help when I can, if I like the person, and feel I can reasonably help.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
No, I retired from a bonus center. 9.5 dispatched done in 9 hours, for the day you still get 8 hours at straight time and 1.5 hours of overtime(time and 1/2). What so difficult to understand. If you do it in 8 hours, you still get 8 hours straight time and 1.5 hours at time and 1/2.

Ok........ I guess there really is different money paid for bonus around the country. My wife was a driver for 14 years and in management for 7 years. When I told her about this thread she was flabbergasted. She also had no idea that there was any difference in pay for bonus around the nation. Guess you learn something new everyday.

siouxman

siouxman
Over, I think its unfair also. We have EDD, why can't we level the dispatch off during the preload? Its such a waste of MY time, the company's time, the company's resources, and the other driver's time for me to drive 15 minutes to transfer 10 stops.

We lose the 5-10 minutes it takes transfer the work and maybe 5 minutes for the other driver to break route to meet me. To me that sounds like 30 min. of wasted labor cost for me to take 30 min. of work from another driver that is getting paid the same as me just so he won't go over 9.5.:sad: It is going to cost the company less just to let the driver who needs help just deliver the packages himself.

We are geniuses I tell ya!
:peaceful:
Brownie
I have been at ups for 25 years and we used to work hand in hand with our management team. If there is dispatch problems we would put our heads together and take care of it. Today that doesnt happen anymore. They strictly dispatch by the pas system and in our center it has been a disaster. WE average 10 40 missed aday, 40 no scans, and they haave a special driver out to get the missloads from all the drivers.The drivers loops are all messed up and when I have approached management to help fix the problems they will have nothing to do with me or most of my co- workers. I have given up on tring to fix the problems and so have my co-workers, thus the moral is low and the coperation needed from everyone is not there.The peak season we had this year was the worst one I have been thru as far as our management team being organized. I dont have the answers but I think the future for ups isnt as rosey as most people are expecting.

maybrown

is not a woman
I agree Pal system if we work correctly no misload no package left behind but I may blame to preloaders they don't think twice before loading packages to a wrong route. My center doesn't have enough drivers to cover all missorts! One day during peak season I had 15 missed packages!

G

Ghost of Griff

Everyone that is or has been a UPS driver knows that these people making tons of bonus are cutting corners out there. Management goes out and looks the other way for these people, this is common knowledge. The rules simply do not apply to people who make their faux numbers become a reality. Different rules for different people, this cannot happen in a union environment. Every morning Monday-Friday is a war at UPS these days and I will never back down. I will gladly lose my job before I ever bend my values, morals, character, integrity for the benefit of any member of UPS management. It kills me to see these building managers, center managers, etc talk about INTEGRITY; meanwhile they are in the office telling the OMS clerk to manually go in and punch in lunches for all the people who skipped it. That's some integrity for you, stealing an hours pay from someones paycheck every single day. Make sure to tell your kids about that when they ask you what you do for a living, I'm sure that will instill some integrity in your child.

I'm more than happy to help any driver, regardless of the reason or frequency. I'm still being paid out there and this is my job. Volume is volume, your job isn't dictated by only what is put on your truck everyday. This union is going downhill like an avalanche and it's attitudes like many shown in this thread that are the cause. You people have a very selfish attitude and I call people out on it in my building daily. Who WOULDN'T want to be home early everyday, you aren't alone in that wish. Fact is there is work to be done, whether it's on your truck in the morning or not. Stop running, take your lunch and break(s) and if you get done early (which you wont) go help one of the people on YOUR side. Until then stop crying like an infant about having to go take 20 stops off someone after you ran like Barry Sanders all day and gave UPS 1hr of work for free.

A few of you may be wondering why I'm not logged in to post. The powers that be found the need to silence my voice and I can no longer view or post under my forum name. You might be able to suppress me on this site, but you can bet your bottom dollar you can't do it in real life. I will continue to take a stand and educate others around me on their contractual entitlements and more importantly their rights as a United States citizen.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
A few of you may be wondering why I'm not logged in to post. The powers that be found the need to silence my voice and I can no longer view or post under my forum name. You might be able to suppress me on this site, but you can bet your bottom dollar you can't do it in real life.

If you are "Griff", then you were not banned from this site, your name is not on the "banned list". I was wondering what happened to you, as you have not posted in a while. If you forgot your password or something, contact Cheryl so she can fix it. As Administrator, she is the only person that has access to that. The problem is on your end, not this one.