Helping other drivers.

cino321

"Sorting" is not figured in to my planned day. EDD has everything up to snuff don't worry. Just keep sliding thos boxes into the 30" selection area like you were trained...

:sleeping:

Absolutley. This is the first peak I don't sort my load. Just like Northshoredriver said:

It is hard to organize a p700 with 400 sum pkgs on it

My center and building do not have equipment. They're cramming 200+ stop helper loads with 400+ pieces into 500's and 700's this year. I'm usually a neat driver and sort my load before lunch time, but not this peak. I find 10 stops and deliver them, or what ends up happening is my helper is doing 60-70% of the deliveries in his DIAD because I'm looking for packages till about 6:00 PM. It's a joke. They don't care why should I? Want to take about service? Everyday I have 10+ missed, off routes, out of sync labels, I'm at the point where I'm sheeting call tags as missed when I find them on the floor in these trucks. Management isn't worried about it, why should I be?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Absolutley. This is the first peak I don't sort my load. Just like Northshoredriver said:

My center and building do not have equipment. They're cramming 200+ stop helper loads with 400+ pieces into 500's and 700's this year. I'm usually a neat driver and sort my load before lunch time, but not this peak. I find 10 stops and deliver them, or what ends up happening is my helper is doing 60-70% of the deliveries in his DIAD because I'm looking for packages till about 6:00 PM. It's a joke. They don't care why should I? Want to take about service? Everyday I have 10+ missed, off routes, out of sync labels, I'm at the point where I'm sheeting call tags as missed when I find them on the floor in these trucks. Management isn't worried about it, why should I be?

Exactly the same out here in so california. We are punching out at 945pm to 10pm. We are bringing back stops and have about the same in off area misloads. The pas system is a joke as they try to stuff 400 to 500 pieces into our P12's and P10's.

Isles brick loaded, shelves wasted, helping reduced to helping touch every single package looking for one stop.

Complete waste of time, UPS management should all be fired for this disaster. They dont want to hire any additional preloaders, or drivers, supervisors started working last week and greivances filed for double time pay compensation.

Helpers out here limited to 3 hours and some of us have 3 helpers each day instead of allowing us to keep the same helper for 8 hours.

A Christmas Joke on UPS. We have drivers running out of hours and having to return with a full shelf each day.

THANKS SCOTT DAVIS!!

Peace.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You guys must be operating under a different 340 methods. When I was in package, you sorted your 30" select area and nothing else unless you had down time. Pre-EDD we put them in sequence order and were allowed to verify the address, post-EDD we were only allowed to use the PAL and would verify at the time of selection for delivery.

You'd be surprised how much time drivers actually lose sorting, because usually it's not a one-time sort. Pre-EDD I could sort about 100 stops and remember them all (and even change the delivery order without re-sorting) but my on-roads didn't like that method so I reverted to just the 30".

I left shortly after EDD was implemented and I always found it ironic that pre-recording was taboo prior to EDD and that's basically what EDD was. No reason to sort if your loader was loading according to the PAL label and you had all your stops in EDD.
Prior to EDD we had no choice but to sort the whole truck. Some of our preload couldn't read an alpha chart if their lives depended on it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I learned after peak, to be sure, who I will help and who I will not. Not to pick on the younger crew, but they dont generally like to help. Ups has made them into all about me mentality. I realize the younger people want to get home and be with kids, so I give them slack when I can. But when said driver chooses to leave me out in the cold on pre Christmas eve, it will be a really cold day somewhere, before I ever help him. It was plain rude.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
In my center it seems to always be the same drivers who always need help,but if they have a good dispatch they can come up with numerous reasons not to help.
I feel there is nothing i cant handle, I never ever ask for help,and i'm not inclined to help anyone.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In my center it seems to always be the same drivers who always need help,but if they have a good dispatch they can come up with numerous reasons not to help.
I feel there is nothing i cant handle, I never ever ask for help,and i'm not inclined to help anyone.

Analogous progression to that of a person transforming from a Fiscal Liberal to a Fiscal Conservative.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I learned after peak, to be sure, who I will help and who I will not. Not to pick on the younger crew, but they dont generally like to help. Ups has made them into all about me mentality. I realize the younger people want to get home and be with kids, so I give them slack when I can. But when said driver chooses to leave me out in the cold on pre Christmas eve, it will be a really cold day somewhere, before I ever help him. It was plain rude.

Curious as to the logic and observation that UPS made them this way?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Curious as to the logic and observation that UPS made them this way?
Because of the continually high dispatch, most of them have filed 9.5 grievances. They want to go home and see their kids, and I understand that. So if they work their day and can get out early, they dont want to go help just coz by the Grace of God or PAS they got a good dispatch.
But I think when it comes to you got dispatched with 8.4, and I got 10.5 then they should help.
I never ask for help either. But it was a screw up, dare I say managements, that I got the split pulled from EDD, but not my TRUCK.
Other than peak, when I give an eta of 6 and then I have to go help, I dont much like it either. Especially if said person is using 6:30 to 7:20 for his lunch and breaks.
If someone is slammed Ill gladly go help them. Not everyone cares anymore. So maybe they are selfish to begin with, but the continual high dispatch all year has made them have the its all about me attitude.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Because of the continually high dispatch, most of them have filed 9.5 grievances. They want to go home and see their kids, and I understand that. So if they work their day and can get out early, they dont want to go help just coz by the Grace of God or PAS they got a good dispatch.
But I think when it comes to you got dispatched with 8.4, and I got 10.5 then they should help.
I never ask for help either. But it was a screw up, dare I say managements, that I got the split pulled from EDD, but not my TRUCK.
Other than peak, when I give an eta of 6 and then I have to go help, I dont much like it either. Especially if said person is using 6:30 to 7:20 for his lunch and breaks.
If someone is slammed Ill gladly go help them. Not everyone cares anymore. So maybe they are selfish to begin with, but the continual high dispatch all year has made them have the its all about me attitude.

OK .. I think I understand where you are coming from.

You are saying UPS made them into all about me mentality because they are loaded down everyday and they don't go out-of-their-way to help others when they could.
I can see that but I also see that they have a different mentality than you do. Maybe this says more about your old-time UPS attitude.

Many of the newer people I interact with have the same attitude and don't help others out.
Perhaps it is a self-defense mechanism kicking in to protect these people from additional work.

a defense mechanism to protect from more work, exactly what I meant.

Last edited by a moderator:

old levi's

blank space
OK .. I think I understand where you are coming from.

You are saying UPS made them into all about me mentality because they are loaded down everyday and they don't go out-of-their-way to help others when they could.
I can see that but I also see that they have a different mentality than you do. Maybe this says more about your old-time UPS attitude.

Many of the newer people I interact with have the same attitude and don't help others out.
Perhaps it is a self-defense mechanism kicking in to protect these people from additional work.

The old-time UPS attitude was let's do the job right and take care of our customers.

The new UPS attitude is get these damn stops off my truck any way that I can as quickly as I can.

Probably flows from management's position of just get the damn cardboard out of the building and then it's the driver's problem!

Indecisi0n

I have notice that every time I have to help another driver the back of there package car is a mess. Nothing is sorted pickup pieces are mixed in with delivery piece and they don't see a problem with it. Then it take forever for them to find the packages they are giving me to deliver.

If they took 5 minutes a couple of times a day and sorted the the next 30 or 40 stops they wouldn't need any help to start with they would have been done already. They should teach new drivers to sort in stead of hunt and peck for packages at each stop.

My boss say's "You get paid to deliver packages, not to sort your truck."

What'dyabringmetoday???

Funny how things have changed in such a short time. When I started everyone looked out for everyone else. Now, nobody looks out for anyone else. You know what I mean. There are a few that are old school. The rest need to get done.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I am blessed to have a bunch of hard workers in my loop and general area.

When someone needs help its usually because management screwed up their dispatch, so we dont ask questions or bitch we just go help the guy or gal.

I needed help to get done one day last week. The guy who came and took stops off of me was the same guy who I took stops off of one day the week before. What goes around comes around. During the month of December I automatically assume that I will be working 59.99 hours per week every week, so if I happen to get done early one day I wont go in before making sure that everyone else in the loop is OK. My coworkers do the same. I dont feel guilty about asking for help, and I dont bitch when I have to provide it. It pays the same either way.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I am blessed to have a bunch of hard workers in my loop and general area.

When someone needs help its usually because management screwed up their dispatch, so we dont ask questions or bitch we just go help the guy or gal.

I needed help to get done one day last week. The guy who came and took stops off of me was the same guy who I took stops off of one day the week before. What goes around comes around. During the month of December I automatically assume that I will be working 59.99 hours per week every week, so if I happen to get done early one day I wont go in before making sure that everyone else in the loop is OK. My coworkers do the same. I dont feel guilty about asking for help, and I dont bitch when I have to provide it. It pays the same either way.
exactly,, there are drivers that i know, when they ask for help, they need it.. There is also a group who works slow and expect help, one learns quick