Helping other drivers.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I come to work, day in and day out, with no expectation of when I will clock out.
So know for a fact if you're asked to come help me, that I didn't ask for you to.
You in reality, are helping "them", not me.

What'dyabringmetoday???

If you need a hand look at the end of your nearest arm!
I hope I was not misunderstood. I am referring to watching the younger drivers struggle while a "veteran" skates out under eight. I offer to help the younger folks out. I remember what it was like to be "new". And my point also extends beyond work. You can barely get people to sign a sympathy card these days. I shall step down from my soapbox.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I never ask for help, I just let them know what time I'm going to finish. What they choose to do or not do about it is entirely up to them.

Packmule

Originally, it was negotiated because drivers were spending at least that much time on break at the end of the day on a break doing paperwork. Used to be we accepted cash for CODs, and seriously needed a cash register from the coffee shop handy to make right the $$ count because we made change out of personal money all day. Also, we had to tear out paper del/records seperate originals from carbons. etc. When UPS quick accepting cash and brought in the diad, end of day stuff became a 30 second routine, but the 10 minutes stayed. So I have always converted it over to sort time.

In that scenario, I would then hand you the keys to my pkg car and drive yours in empty while you completed my dispatch. Seniority rules in every aspect of the operation and lower seniority drivers DONT have a say whether they help or not.

Out in my parts, if you open your mouth and make a demand, you're taking the whole thing.

Peace.

Lower seniority drivers might not have a say in their having to help but it sure isn`t you telling them to do it. I can tell you exactly how it would have gone down between us back in my package days.

1) I come help you and take a big chunk of your nicer stuff so that I can deliver it without a whole lot of concern about where I`m delivering as far as claims and such. You say thanks.

2) I come help you and you give me your crap area because you think your seniority can dictate what I take. You find it service crossed in your truck the next day because I didn`t feel comfortable dr`ing it in such a questionable area. You give me a dirty look.

3) I come help you and you try your "hand you the keys to your pkg car" routine and I promptly leave you standing their hold your little monkey dink in your hand as I drive away with none of your work. I`ll take my chances back at the barn as I explain that you threatened me and created a hostile workplace to the point that I felt I had to leave. I give you the finger.

4) You actually get me to take your keys and somehow get my keys from me with a minimum of broken bones and you drive away leaving me with the whole shebang upon which I promptly call the center and tell them you said "friend-it I quit" and stole my pkg car. I give you two middle fingers.

One scenario you get some help. The other three you get friend-ed on various levels and you find out you`re not quite the big swinging appendage you think you are out in your parts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Lower seniority drivers might not have a say in their having to help but it sure isn`t you telling them to do it. I can tell you exactly how it would have gone down between us back in my package days.

1) I come help you and take a big chunk of your nicer stuff so that I can deliver it without a whole lot of concern about where I`m delivering as far as claims and such. You say thanks.

2) I come help you and you give me your crap area because you think your seniority can dictate what I take. You find it service crossed in your truck the next day because I didn`t feel comfortable dr`ing it in such a questionable area. You give me a dirty look.

3) I come help you and you try your "hand you the keys to your pkg car" routine and I promptly leave you standing their hold your little monkey dink in your hand as I drive away with none of your work. I`ll take my chances back at the barn as I explain that you threatened me and created a hostile workplace to the point that I felt I had to leave. I give you the finger.

4) You actually get me to take your keys and somehow get my keys from me with a minimum of broken bones and you drive away leaving me with the whole shebang upon which I promptly call the center and tell them you said "friend-it I quit" and stole my pkg car. I give you two middle fingers.

One scenario you get some help. The other three you get friend-ed on various levels and you find out you`re not quite the big swinging appendage you think you are out in your parts.

I thought he posted this type of crap just in Current Events. Nice reply.
Seniority means absolutely nothing between two or more union employees.
Seniority defines how the company management should lay off people, assign vacations and time off and who has the right to existing work. Maybe a few more things but that is what I remember.
In a Union shop, no other hourly has any authority to assign work to another hourly.

Last edited by a moderator:

tourists24

I have notice that every time I have to help another driver the back of there package car is a mess. Nothing is sorted pickup pieces are mixed in with delivery piece and they don't see a problem with it. Then it take forever for them to find the packages they are giving me to deliver.

If they took 5 minutes a couple of times a day and sorted the the next 30 or 40 stops they wouldn't need any help to start with they would have been done already. They should teach new drivers to sort in stead of hunt and peck for packages at each stop.

this is not how the methods work.... use your 340 methods exactly how UPS says to and dont worry about how long it takes you

hypocrisy

Banned
It`s cause your mind goes right into the gutter. Gee, I would expect more from a Mod. :funny:

Cach, you're killing me:

It ain't "ain`t" as in ` under the ~, it's ' under the " just to the left of the "enter" key.

Why you want to over-achieve and reach for that high key is beyond me!

Cach, you're killing me:

It ain't "ain`t" as in ` under the ~, it's ' under the " just to the left of the "enter" key.

Why you want to over-achieve and reach for that high key is beyond me!

Not paid to type. Just paid to not crash trucks and to look good.

ups1990

I never ask for help, I just let them know what time I'm going to finish. What they choose to do or not do about it is entirely up to them.
I'm with you Jones. My reply to any supervisor is to say that I'll deliver what ever is in my truck as long as its my normal area without asking for help. There are days where guys in my loop get in early while I'm still out and that's ok, because there will be days where I'll get in and be the first one back from our loop.