Helping other drivers.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Originally, it was negotiated because drivers were spending at least that much time on break at the end of the day on a break doing paperwork. Used to be we accepted cash for CODs, and seriously needed a cash register from the coffee shop handy to make right the $$ count because we made change out of personal money all day. Also, we had to tear out paper del/records seperate originals from carbons. etc. When UPS quick accepting cash and brought in the diad, end of day stuff became a 30 second routine, but the 10 minutes stayed. So I have always converted it over to sort time.

When you return to the building, hit the time button on the DIAD. That will give you the exact return time. You punch out when you are finished unloading Air, clerk pkgs, high values, turning in COD checks etc. It takes as long as it takes. How long it's supposed to take means nothing.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Originally, it was negotiated because drivers were spending at least that much time on break at the end of the day on a break doing paperwork. Used to be we accepted cash for CODs, and seriously needed a cash register from the coffee shop handy to make right the $$ count because we made change out of personal money all day. Also, we had to tear out paper del/records seperate originals from carbons. etc. When UPS quick accepting cash and brought in the diad, end of day stuff became a 30 second routine, but the 10 minutes stayed. So I have always converted it over to sort time.

What your doing is called work.
A break is where you aren't doing work.
Another name management uses for a break/lunch is personal time.
There are far more worthy organizations to donate your time.
You are giving money away.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
When you return to the building, hit the time button on the DIAD. That will give you the exact return time. You punch out when you are finished unloading Air, clerk pkgs, high values, turning in COD checks etc. It takes as long as it takes. How long it's supposed to take means nothing.

Really....is that why they are always harping on am and pm time....I really doubt UPS understands your last sentence of your post.

NYdriver

Relative to you guys Im a new driver. Im the same way though I cant stand having it in a mess! I use my 10 minute break after I run all my commercial stops to get every single stop in order.

You DO NOT clock out when you are setting up your truck. That is part of your job. When you are on break, you do not touch a package.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Really....is that why they are always harping on am and pm time....I really doubt UPS understands your last sentence of your post.

Let them harp. Let them complain. Let them draw red circles on the report and get their undies in a knot over your AM time or PM time or whatever other time happens to be the current flavor of the week. The fact that your number doesnt happen to match whatever fantasy number they choose to believe in doesnt matter. They dont have to like it, they just have to make sure your paycheck clears at the end of each week.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Anything over 5 minutes on either side and you have some 'splainin' to do in my center.

Its been a very long time since they made the mistake of bitching at me about my AM time.

The unspoken truth is that what they are really trying to do when they bitch about AM time is to get the driver to just go ahead enter the number that they are looking for on the daily report instead of being truthful and entering an accurate number.

They are well aware of the reasons for "excessive" AM time (preload failing to wrap, last-minute elimination of routes, excessive bulk, overcrowded facilities etc.) but rather than adressing these issues and resolving them, they pressure the driver into falsifying his leave building time in order to generate the make-believe metric that they want to see on the report.

Am I the only driver that doesn't mind waiting while the person I'm helping is digging for stops? Don't know about everyone else but I get paid by the hour, not stop..... All in all ='s EASY MONEY....LOL

kingOFchester

Am I the only driver that doesn't mind waiting while the person I'm helping is digging for stops? Don't know about everyone else but I get paid by the hour, not stop..... All in all ='s EASY MONEY....LOL
not me, If I am running 30 minutes under dispatch, then I spend 20 minutes waiting for a driver dig threw a cluster fluck, my pay at then end of the day will inevitably be the same.....not as much bonus, but the pay will be the same. The 20 minutes lost I would rather spend with my family.....EVEN if i did get paid for the 20 minutes, I would gladly give that time up to spend it with my family rather then the back of a UPS truck.

BigBrown3605

not me, If I am running 30 minutes under dispatch, then I spend 20 minutes waiting for a driver dig threw a cluster fluck, my pay at then end of the day will inevitably be the same.....not as much bonus, but the pay will be the same. The 20 minutes lost I would rather spend with my family.....EVEN if i did get paid for the 20 minutes, I would gladly give that time up to spend it with my family rather then the back of a UPS truck.

Bingo........

Or how about helping someone who cries they can't make 9/5, and when you arrive at the center that person you took stops of, is still in the parking lot with his slug co-workers, bitching about how terrible they have it. Just because you hate your home life, dosent mean I should hate mine.

I understand that and agree but, all of you know uncle parcel don't care about family. If they did 8 hour days would be attainable and we wouldn't have to bail people out. So if they're going to want me to help I don't mind making a little extra money for doing nothing but waiting.