Here come the layoffs

959Nanook

We must be in a recession as I have had to switch from Starbucks to Dunkin Donuts. If we end up in a depression I will end up getting my coffee at McDonalds.

No idea about McDonald's coffee in upstate NY but I had the misfortune of drinking the most horrid cup of coffee that I have ever drank several years back that was purchased at a McDonald's here in Fairbanks, Alaska. They brew(ed) Seattle's Best brand but they had obviously not cleaned the pot in a LONG time (I've purchased some more recently from McDonald's that was fine). Consumers Report did a taste test and found McDonald's coffee to be better than the coffee at Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts so who knows.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

With regard to whether or not we are in a recession, it is true that we are not in a recession if you only consider the simplistic definition of two or more consecutive quarters of GDP decline. While this may be the most common layman's "rule of thumb" for determining a recession, it is certainly not a universal definition. For example, the Business Cycle Dating Committee (BCDC), at National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) whose purpose is to answer the "Where are we at in the business cycle?" question defines recession as "a significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy" and uses a model that accounts for much more than GDP.

Why does it matter? The rule of thumb definition only concerns itself with one economic indicator (albeit the most logical indicators if you were only going to use one), the rule of thumb definition can allow shorter recessions to remain unaccounted for indefinitely if they don't trigger two consecutive QUARTERS of GDP decline, the rule of thumb definition offers little in the way of explanation for recessions, and the rule of thumb definition is by no means a leading indicator of recessions.

A noteworthy example is the 2001 recession. By the time the revised GDP figures had been released (July 31, 2002) by the Bureau of Economic Analysis of the U.S. Dept. of Commerce that triggered a recession by the rule of thumb definition, the BCDC had already determined specific months for the beginning (March - determined November 26, 2001) and end (November - determined July 16, 2002) of the 2001 recession.

Note: I edited this message shortly after I posted it when I realized that some of the original content was inaccurate.

Last edited:

cino321

I see them installing the new area near bay 32. The rest of the eli district had pas for well over 3-4 years now. Why they waited so long in IC is beyond me.

local804 said:
last week here in LI there were 2 or 3 days my stop count was around 220.

btw LIC is the only metro building without pas?

I'm not sure why it took them so long. They postponed it last year, but I think it's really coming this time because they are adding onto the building and I saw all the bid lists go up for the new full time PAS spots and 22.3 inside/inside spots for PAS. I also heard they are going to add routes and put more loads on the road, but I don't buy it.

Are they going to build that new building in Laurelton anytime soon?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Are they going to build that new building in Laurelton anytime soon?

I wouldn't count on it, chief. I can't remember the last time I heard of a new UPS building coming online. I'm not a UPS news junkie but its probably been four or five years since I heard of a new hub being built in the U.S. And I'm not talking about expansions. I'm talking about a newly built facility. I could be wrong. Someone please correct my ignorance if I am wrong. -Rocky

upsdude

According to my center manager we needed 3 additional routes Friday. Per the manager Atlanta set the numbers for Friday and we had to live with them. I had a chance to hear a conversation (heated I might add) between the manager asking for 3 more routes and the division mananger saying we can't.

UPS acts like we all work in Clarksville.

Overpaid Union Thug

Weither you call it a recession or not, people on my route are having a hard time of it. The retail store owners are saying it is very slow, the hardware store owners are saying things are dead.I know people in the mortgage business and they are dying.
Have you noticed how many people you del. to are selling Avon,Mary Kay or something else to make more money to make ends meet?

People have been buying and selling Avon and Mary Kay for years. So, I'm not buying into that theory. Retail is up and down throughout every year. So, every time it's down there is a recession? LOL! NO! Home owners have screwed up by buying houses they can't afford and the mortgage people are suffering because so many people are scared off by the bad financial decisions of others. It's a domino affect but still not a recession.

Also why do you always blame anything bad on "THE LIBERALS". I don't know about you but I (my 401) did very well under Bill Clinton and I have not done very well under Bush.
I have always heard that the stock market does better under a liberal than a concervative, can someone prove are disprove this? Maybe provide a link to a site with a graph.

Also can anyone tell me what a conservitave has ever done to help a working person? I can't think of any.

It's not up to the conservatives, or even the liberals, to help the working person. Personal responsibility is a must. Maybe its time people stop looking to the same government that they blame for their problems, as well as the rest of the world's, for help. Bailing people out doesn't teach anyone a lesson. It just weakens them.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
I guess UPS is waiting for Verizon's lease to be over. I know they're going to move routes into there, and I'm sure they'll bring some routes over from Foster over there too.
YEs,I believe that is the hold up.I think you will see some of the Canarsie center move over,probably the Queens routes.And Uniondale will probably send a few too.Makes sense since we are all bursting at the seams.

Jim Kemp

Uhhh... employ you, sign your paycheck, pay for your benefits...
If it were up to republicans we would not have any benefits.
What I should have said was what benefits have the conseritaves given the working man? The forty hour workweek, overtime, FLMA,comp ins, medical ins, Social security all benefits brought to you by democrats.

I don't really like to argue politics but just keep putting Rep. in office and see where all of our benefits, right in the pockets of the CEO.

Just my opinion and thats all I will say on the matter.

Foamer Pyle

Over the past 8 years corporate profits have risen by 60%, while middle class incomes have shrunk. Don't get me wrong, I want companies to make profits. However, there is no balance when Republicans run the show. The scales are tipped too far in the wrong direction. What kind of President would work to take overtime pay away from working folk? I believe Bush changed the rules so that if a person earns over 23k, that person is not entitled to overtime pay. I sure have not seen any significant tax breaks under Bush. Ohh, thats because I do not earn $150k a year or more. There is no balance.

browniehound

Uhhh... employ you, sign your paycheck, pay for your benefits...

Can I add lower our income taxes twice? Say what you want about Bush, but since he has been in office I have recieved an extra income tax refund once and I will recieve another this May!

To me, this is something significant that a conservative has done for me.

browniehound

Over the past 8 years corporate profits have risen by 60%, while middle class incomes have shrunk. Don't get me wrong, I want companies to make profits. However, there is no balance when Republicans run the show. The scales are tipped too far in the wrong direction. What kind of President would work to take overtime pay away from working folk? I believe Bush changed the rules so that if a person earns over 23k, that person is not entitled to overtime pay. I sure have not seen any significant tax breaks under Bush. Ohh, thats because I do not earn $150k a year or more. There is no balance.

We could talk and argue until the cows come homes 3 weeks from now about conservative vs. liberal. So I won't even go there. I myself, tend to side with the conservatives.

Being a simple person, I like what I got from Bush. Simply, I got to keep more of the money I MADE! I don't want to get into the war and its complications, but I do believe it had to be done (whether it should be happening now is a different argument) and I will leave it at that.

Also, different parts of the country may be feeling the effects of the recession more than others. Here in Massachusetts, it doesn't seem to be too severe. Yes, some of the poorer comminuties have suffered from the foreclosure crisis, but overall it hasn't been too bad yet.

I remember in the early 90's a local mall was being built. Once that recession hit, progress was stopped in building it. Now, in 2007-2008, buildings are going up all over interstate 95 and progress hasn't been interupted.

Our main problems lie with energy prices and the falling value of the dollar vs. foriegn currency. These things are going to have a severe affect on the economy, and I don't see any immediate solutions to these issues.

So, I think our economy will be OK, but will be hindered significantly by soaring energy costs.

I guess we just have to get used to it:sick:

Brownie.

Overpaid Union Thug

If it were up to republicans we would not have any benefits.
What I should have said was what benefits have the conseritaves given the working man? The forty hour workweek, overtime, FLMA,comp ins, medical ins, Social security all benefits brought to you by democrats.

I don't really like to argue politics but just keep putting Rep. in office and see where all of our benefits, right in the pockets of the CEO.

Just my opinion and thats all I will say on the matter.

No...republicans don't want to strip anyone of their benefits. We, unlike the democrats, just want people to stop feeling like they are entitled to them. You ever hear the phrase...."Never feel entitled to something that you didn't earn" ? Benefits aren't a right. They are a privilege.

FAVREFAN

Can I add lower our income taxes twice? Say what you want about Bush, but since he has been in office I have recieved an extra income tax refund once and I will recieve another this May!

To me, this is something significant that a conservative has done for me.
Did you know though that every single penny of that will be added to the national deficit? Bush keeps that on the down low. And did you know, that the Fed. Gov. has to pay interest on every single penny of that money? Your tax dollars will have to pay the interest. We owe everyone, we own nothing. Not the way I'd run it, but whatever, the Republicans like it that way. If we continue this way, I fear the outcome. Do you enjoy the financial entities of the middle east owning the U.S.A.? I sure don't. But I guess I am the only one here who cares. Let's just borrow borrow borrow. Who cares right? What's another $12billion for Iraq this month really matter? Or the next month, or the next month.

NJ12hrday

good friday they cut all the split routes and 3 other routes. then they had to send 3 guys out to rescue the center. keep it the cuts coming. we'll all be over 11.

FAVREFAN

I understand what's being said here. The historical definition of a recession is 2 quarters/6 months of negative economic growth. o.k. but let's say we are in month 2 right now......so technically it hasn't been 6 months.......so it's not real unless it's six months in the past allready? Come on. Please. Let's not split hairs. It may or may not become an official recession but it is so close it doesn't make a difference. Everyone is seeing it across the board. I've never seen so many sectors affected at the same time as now. Hopefully the stock market recovers, crude goes down, the banks can sustain liquidity, inflation is held in check, the housing industry can get off it's knees and the dollar can recover. We are in a perfect storm and it will take at least 2 of these above things to happen to start a turnaround.