Here Is What It Looks Like Without A Union...

A

anonymous6

the big corporations will eventually destroy the unions. that is the trend. a hundred years from now there will be about 10 companies running the world and 10 billion people will be wage slaves.

these corporations will have to build armies to secure and aquire world territories and there will be real wars for market share.

that's just the tip of the iceburg. as i see it.

brown_trousers

the big corporations will eventually destroy the unions. that is the trend. a hundred years from now there will be about 10 companies running the world and 10 billion people will be wage slaves.

these corporations will have to build armies to secure and aquire world territories and there will be real wars for market share.

that sounds like a good sci-fi movie!

barnyard

KTM rider
the big corporations will eventually destroy the unions. that is the trend.

The most incredible thing conservatives have done, is convince the working class that unions are no longer needed and that the working class would gain more by not being represented by a union.

brown_trousers

The most incredible thing conservatives have done, is convince the working class that unions are no longer needed and that the working class would gain more by not being represented by a union.

The most incredible thing democrats have done is convince us they actually care about unions. Obama has shown us their true colors

over9five

Staff member
The most incredible thing democrats have done is convince us they actually care about unions. Obama has shown us their true colors
Agree 100%.

You are fooling yourself if you think Democrats are any different than Republicans when it comes to unions. Think Clinton signing NAFTA, the most anti union move of the last 30 years.

OptimusPrime

I don't understand why fdx does not go union. there are so many of you guys if you were to stick together, you would win. make the same wages here at ups, pension, benefits. Oh yes did I mention the top pay for package car drivers........... What are you guys waiting for Fred S is not your friend ......and every chance he gets he will stick it to you. Just like ups, but at least your paid a very good wage.

Feel free to point out anything I say that's wrong. IIRC how it was explained to me was that because Fedex is classified as airline. Because of that they fall under the Railway Labor Act, unlike UPS, who falls under the National Labor Relations Act. With that, they cannot unionize on a national level, it would have to be center by center, or whatever they call their buildings. And with it being so small scale, they would essentially have zero leverage against the company.

UPS made a push a few years ago trying to get Fedex reclassified. Fedex tried to spin it that we were looking for a Federal bailout.

Here is a VERY biased article talking about it.
The Big Brown Union Bailout: UPS and the Teamsters vs. FedEx - WSJ.com

"
As FedEx delivers 85% of its parcels by air, many of them time-sensitive packages that enable a modern economy, it rightly belongs under the railway act."

​Haha. Yeah right.

Not if Chuck Norris has anything to say about it!

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Just to clarify a couple of things:...The MIP (that's what the bonus is called) paid 1.9 months salary last year(3.8 for manager). It's about the same as it ever was...

Except that you use to actually get paid MIP when you got MIP. Now you get a piece of paper saying that you might get a a percentage of a certain amount, depending on what the share price does over the next five years, and depending on if you quit, and depending on if an excuse can be found to terminate employment before it's paid.

trickpony1

Except that you use to actually get paid MIP when you got MIP. Now you get a piece of paper saying that you might get a a percentage of a certain amount, depending on what the share price does over the next five years, and depending on if you quit, and depending on if an excuse can be found to terminate employment before it's paid.

This is how the company treats its management people and there are actually people that still want to go into management?
Amazing.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Feel free to point out anything I say that's wrong. IIRC how it was explained to me was that because Fedex is classified as airline. Because of that they fall under the Railway Labor Act, unlike UPS, who falls under the National Labor Relations Act. With that, they cannot unionize on a national level, it would have to be center by center, or whatever they call their buildings. And with it being so small scale, they would essentially have zero leverage against the company.

You are mostly correct, but you have the premise flipped: under the Railway Act the company AS A WHOLE must vote to unionize, vs doing it building by building as it is done in UPS. Actually, if just ONE building could organize-and other FedEx workers see how they are represented and treated afterwards-unionization would spread like wikdfire through FedEx, one bldg at a time. However, because the majority of the WHOLE company must vote to unionize together, it makes it much harder. Some people don't want to rock the boat; some like it just as it is. Even heard FedEx tried to say some lower level mgrs and sups have the rigt to vote for a union.

OTHO, FedEX ground is under the NRLB, like UPS, so you have an instance where they tried to organize a ground h
b somewhere in New England (but FedEx snuffed it out for the reasons I mentioned above if one of their bldgs went union). Ground would be very hard to organize, too, at least the service providers (drivers). FedEx uses contractors to run their routes, who then go out and buy the equipment and hire drivers. You'd have to organize the workers under each and every contractor, who could fire them at will before they could unionize. And if the workers under a particular contractor WERE successful in getting union representation, FedEx could just drop the contract with the affected contractor, and replace HIM. A daunting task, organizing FedEx Express or Ground.