Here It Comes

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
you would be floored at the sense of entitlement, especially among some of the younger employees.
That may be true. Maybe those youngsters should work at X first, then they would see how good they have it at brown.
I'd be putting in my app. at brown if I didn't have to shlep frt. in a warehouse for my first 3 yrs. at $12 an hr. and only 6 hrs. a day.

bbsam

Staff member
Let's say for a moment that Fedex is never going to be a union company. Given economic and political climates, I'd say that's not too hard to imagine. Let's also imagine that Fred wants to use the contractor/ISP model at Express. How many of you would A) become a contractor/ISP, B) work for a contractor/ISP, or C) leave the company altogether? Does this scenario hold any interest at all or would you continue to hope for what seems to be a more and more distant resurgence of union activity in this country?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Let's say for a moment that Fedex is never going to be a union company. Given economic and political climates, I'd say that's not too hard to imagine. Let's also imagine that Fred wants to use the contractor/ISP model at Express. How many of you would A) become a contractor/ISP, B) work for a contractor/ISP, or C) leave the company altogether? Does this scenario hold any interest at all or would you continue to hope for what seems to be a more and more distant resurgence of union activity in this country?

I'd be more inclined to leave the company all together. So would a lot of others I would venture to guess. For an employee standpoint, FedEx is clearly going downhill as a place to work. That fact coupled with the wishy-washy lack of support from the Teamsters who seemed to wimp out on us when there was a chance to rid ourselves of the RLA, it's not hard to arrive at that conclusion.

vantexan

I'm assuming Ground would still have less pay and of course no benefits? I'd leave right away. Equal pay and no benefits? I'd leave as soon as I could, not work a day longer than necessary.

whenIgetthere

I'm assuming Ground would still have less pay and of course no benefits? I'd leave right away. Equal pay and no benefits? I'd leave as soon as I could, not work a day longer than necessary.

I agree completely, why would I stay to do the SAME job for less pay and if vantexan is correct (and I assume he is), NO benefits, no vacation. Only a maroon would stay in such a situation. Express would wind up like the HD driver I saw Saturday in my area, with a map spread out across his lap, drivers door open, reading the map while crossing into my lane and damn near sending me into a ditch!!

bbsam

Staff member
I can't help but notice that none of the replies take on the idea of becoming the contractor/ISP. Why is that? Everyone wants to complain about the conditions but noone wants to step up and make it happen? We want it fixed but don't want the power and responsibility of fixing it ourselves?

vantexan

I can't help but notice that none of the replies take on the idea of becoming the contractor/ISP. Why is that? Everyone wants to complain about the conditions but noone wants to step up and make it happen? We want it fixed but don't want the power and responsibility of fixing it ourselves?
It's one thing when it's being done to you. Another thing altogether when you are doing it to others. If FedEx was paying fairly then I'd be all for advancing my career further by going into management. As is, I won't enable the exploitation of others for money. I'd rather be poor. You're kidding yourself if you think you can change this system from within. The only thing that'll change the status quo is legislation. Not likely any time soon.

Last edited:

vantexan

Not to mention that management likes to dangle the prospect that things will change soon, just hang in there. Not going to do a job that pays little with no benefits on the hopes that things will change soon. Change them, then come talk to me. Talk is cheap, and they love to talk.

Cactus

Because like anything else at FedEx, things have a tendency to change on a whim whenever upper management frequently decides that they need to take away something else from us. Bbsam, if you think you're gonna be in clover for the rest of your FedEx career, think again. That bus may be coming down the street sooner than you think.

You seem to have all the answers to fix FedEx EXPRESS. We're NOT Ground.

whenIgetthere

Why would I want to become an independent contractor when I would have virtually no say in how I run my business, pay all the expenses, when many of the expenses should be shared with Fedex, but aren't. If I were to start my own business, it would be on my conditions, run the business the way I would see fit, not the visions of the halfwits in Memphis.

Cactus

Why would I want to become an independent contractor when I would have virtually no say in how I run my business, pay all the expenses, when many of the expenses should be shared with Fedex, but aren't. If I were to start my own business, it would be on my conditions, run the business the way I would see fit, not the visions of the halfwits in Memphis.

Well said.

The last thing my business would need is some clueless cubical manager from Memphis trying to call the shots.

bbsam

Staff member
Well for one thing, you could pay your drivers what you wanted. You could treat them all as your equals and pay them $20/hr for 40 hrs a week and look into health insurance. As the owner, you wouldn't make as much, but the possible variations on the theme are many.