Here we go again

Marne Vet

Make sure you guys put your rear door chains on. This thread reminded me of one Valentine's Day when I saw a guy hauling a pup that neglected to put the chain on, so the door popped open and about 50+ boxes of roses fell out all over the road right in front of our Hub. haha. I never understand why drivers fail to put that chain on. I've seen countless drivers have their doors fly open and lose packages on the highway. I was even behind one of our guys blowing the horn trying to get his attention when a box fell out and I crushed it.

rod

Retired 22 years
Make sure you guys put your rear door chains on. This thread reminded me of one Valentine's Day when I saw a guy hauling a pup that neglected to put the chain on, so the door popped open and about 50+ boxes of roses fell out all over the road right in front of our Hub. haha. I never understand why drivers fail to put that chain on. I've seen countless drivers have their doors fly open and lose packages on the highway. I was even behind one of our guys blowing the horn trying to get his attention when a box fell out and I crushed it.

You're not a true UPS driver until you've had the experience of having the rear door fly open while driving down the highway. Very early in my career I had a back door of an old P-400 fly open on me in a snow storm while being followed by a State Highway Dept. snow plow. He didn't budge an inch but just kept coming. I had just filled my truck with a pickup from a snowmobile parts distributor---lots of small boxes. I turned around and picked up what I could find in the ditch. I told the boss about it and we compared the pickup sheet with what was in the truck. We came up 8 short. I never did hear anything more about it-----and didn't ask.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I don't care about the work day , I care about the ride home with all the people rushing to go on dates

Means the wife already planning on staying in and just relaxing
We did
Vday this past weekend. I told her best part is I had a full menu to choose from.

You're not a true UPS driver until you've had the experience of having the rear door fly open while driving down the highway. Very early in my career I had a back door of an old P-400 fly open on me in a snow storm while being followed by a State Highway Dept. snow plow. He didn't budge an inch but just kept coming. I had just filled my truck with a pickup from a snowmobile parts distributor---lots of small boxes. I turned around and picked up what I could find in the ditch. I told the boss about it and we compared the pickup sheet with what was in the truck. We came up 8 short. I never did hear anything more about it-----and didn't ask.
P-400 was the first package car I was assigned as a rookie. Those cars could take a lot of abuse and just kept on going.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Sounds like we will be taking more packages to the Post Office this week?
I don't know why we'd do that, my girlfriend is deployed at Fort Jackson, SC (I live in Kansas) and we've figured out that the wait time on a letter from send to receive is between 4 and 7 days. A one-way trip through the USPS is slower than just driving the letter there and coming back myself.

\
I've already got an hour of OT, just from working Monday, I'm PT. Already seen quite a few boxes of flowers.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I've left my rear door open three times. Twice drove all the way across town and didn't loose a single package (with barn doors). The third time was with a pull down style door and it was in the morning pulling away from a business stop. Dumped a bunch of packages in the street and when I got to the stop sign I saw one on my rear bumper in the backup camera. I went back and grabbed everything off the ground but as it turns out one rolled into a bush and the business gave it to another driver the next day. Embarrassing.

QKRSTKR

I agree pups and big boxes should have chain on door. Package car to and from area and that's it.m

As far as pkg car goes my chain came off on my 1st stop, didn't go back on to last stop. No way was I driving all day with chain on in packages. Mostly safety. If someone robbed u, locked u in back of car you could sneak out back door.

Marne Vet

I agree pups and big boxes should have chain on door. Package car to and from area and that's it.m

As far as pkg car goes my chain came off on my 1st stop, didn't go back on to last stop. No way was I driving all day with chain on in packages. Mostly safety. If someone robbed u, locked u in back of car you could sneak out back door.

I should've been more clear. Chains on to and from the building only. Driving with a chain on stop to stop is ridiculous.