Here's A Bone For You MFE

'Lord Brown's bidding'

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...247473-fedex-drivers-have-been-more-than.html

"The Investigative Unit has found that drives[sic] for FedEx Freight, a division of FedEx, have been in 730 accidents in the past two years, and have been cited more than 679 times for unsafe driving."

"Traffic accidents are even more common than traffic violations. Over the past two years, FedEx drivers have been involved in 730 nationally 43 of those incidents happened in California, which include two fatalities prior to Thursday’s accident."

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...247473-fedex-drivers-have-been-more-than.html

"The Investigative Unit has found that drives[sic] for FedEx Freight, a division of FedEx, have been in 730 accidents in the past two years, and have been cited more than 679 times for unsafe driving."

"Traffic accidents are even more common than traffic violations. Over the past two years, FedEx drivers have been involved in 730 nationally 43 of those incidents happened in California, which include two fatalities prior to Thursday’s accident."

Thanks for the link. My primary target has been FedEx Ground, which has a really bad safety record, but it sounds like FedEx Freight might also have some issues. My guess is that FedEx Freight can't attract top-notch drivers, primarily due to working conditions, aggressive bad management, and other job-related factors. FedEx might also be pushing drivers to be more "productive" like they have at the Express division, which means drive faster and do more work...for less money than the competition.

If FedEx Freight is dirty, the NTSB is going to nail them. Too early to tell what caused this tragic wreck, but it looks like FedEx Freight already has plenty of safety issues to worry about.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
FedEx might also be pushing drivers to be more "productive" like they have at the Express division, which means drive faster and do more work...for less money than the competition.
Oh they have. I've talked to several Freight drivers and it's like Express all over. Productivity, micromanaging, crappy management etc.

I'm sure safety will be the next "hot button" for the next week, or so.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Oh they have. I've talked to several Freight drivers and it's like Express all over. Productivity, micromanaging, crappy management etc.

Ditto....If you think us Express drivers have a bad taste in our mouths it's nothing compared to the old American Freightways drivers.....
Fred has spread his seed of death across this country...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

The first thing FedEx does when they take over a company is to put in place Express-style management. Very soon thereafter, bad things start happening. Wonder why...

'Lord Brown's bidding'

nah, that number can't be that high... if you don't include the tows...

If a vehicle has to be towed away, that is a serious accident.

If there were 720 incidents of FedEx drivers in fender benders and taking off mirrors that would be concerning! These totals don't even include minor accidents.

What's crazy about this high number is that, according to the forum thread I linked to, FedEx Freight doesn't just hire any driver off the street. They must have a minimum 2 years experience to drive. If that is true, that reflects very poorly on their safety culture.

MAKAVELI

If there were 720 incidents of FedEx drivers in fender benders and taking off mirrors that would be concerning! These totals don't even include minor accidents.

What's crazy about this high number is that, according to the forum thread I linked to, FedEx Freight doesn't just hire any driver off the street. They must have a minimum 2 years experience to drive. If that is true, that reflects very poorly on their safety culture.
There's a reason why we don't get check rides anymore. They don't care about our methods or safety, just our numbers at the end of the day.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

The safety culture at FedEx is long gone, and replaced with a profit culture. Fred S isn't losing any sleep over the 10 people who were killed. His concerns are liability, and preventing having to spend more money to actually create and provide a safety culture. It's all about increasing production and cutting costs. Sure, they talk about safety, and then require employees to do things that directly contradict a safety culture.

P

prodriver

The safety culture at FedEx is long gone, and replaced with a profit culture. Fred S isn't losing any sleep over the 10 people who were killed. His concerns are liability, and preventing having to spend more money to actually create and provide a safety culture. It's all about increasing production and cutting costs. Sure, they talk about safety, and then require employees to do things that directly contradict a safety culture.

Fred did make a comment about the 10 people, what does FedEx require employees to do that contradict a safety culture.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Fred did make a comment about the 10 people, what does FedEx require employees to do that contradict a safety culture.
Threatening our jobs on a daily basis about hitting numbers.
Ignoring any and all safety concerns brought up to management.
The huge number of employees being injured and cracking up trucks should be a clue.

P

prodriver

Threatening our jobs on a daily basis about hitting numbers.
Ignoring any and all safety concerns brought up to management.
The huge number of employees being injured and cracking up trucks should be a clue.

Someone's safety should be most important part of any job, you mean they overload you and still expect you to hit #s and threaten to fire you if you don't?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

What Downhill said is exactly correct. They preach "safety" and then proceed to overtask you and make demands that preclude safety. As in "drive safely", but here's 140 stops, and you'd better make SPH and not have any lates. Impossible.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Wow, a word from His Highness. Smith knows that FedEx looks bad in this one, and he is doing spin control/PR. I'd be much more impressed if he offers to assist the families of the victims if FedEx is at-fault. If the truck on fire, driver asleep or unconscious scenario is correct, FedEx is on the hook for it.

After seeing the Freight FMCSA, I think the Feds really need to start looking hard at all of the FedEx opcos. The push for productivity at Express almost guarantees something like this happening at the Express opco, and I've been predicting it for quite awhile.

It is inevitable, in fact, given the current non-safety/produce or else culture at Express. I would like to see Fred hanging by his gonads for making all of this death and injury (not Orland) possible.

My district has had several very bad accidents since the Big Push started, with one innocent motorist killed and a lot of terrible injuries. Slow down, be safe, and don't care about their ranting to do more. Only do what you can without compromising safety.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
There's a reason why we don't get check rides anymore. They don't care about our methods or safety, just our numbers at the end of the day.

Exactly. Dead couriers, motorists, cyclists etc. are all just collateral damage. As long as Fred saves his $1.7B and everyone makes their numbers...he is happy. I suspect it's much the same at Freight. We already know that dead drivers at Ground are of little consequence to Mr. Smith.

P

prodriver

What Downhill said is exactly correct. They preach "safety" and then proceed to overtask you and make demands that preclude safety. As in "drive safely", but here's 140 stops, and you'd better make SPH and not have any lates. Impossible.

Years ago when I was at ground, for a good while I went out slammed everyday so I requested a "ride along" and about a month later got route cut back to manageable, just wanted to add that in there that ground actually does this. By the way I've never had at fault accident.

barnyard

KTM rider
Interesting.

UPS is finding that it is way, way, way cheaper to spend money on safety, than it is to spend money on crashes. I would not be a bit surprised if UPS approaches the union at some point to put together a wellness program that would reduce costs in terms of insurance, disability and comp.

You would think the same safety economics that UPS is seeing, FE would see also.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Interesting.

UPS is finding that it is way, way, way cheaper to spend money on safety, than it is to spend money on crashes. I would not be a bit surprised if UPS approaches the union at some point to put together a wellness program that would reduce costs in terms of insurance, disability and comp.

You would think the same safety economics that UPS is seeing, FE would see also.

You would think so, but no. Safety is expensive, but it more than pays for itself in the long run. An expensive lesson Fred will learn the hard way.