Here's hoping our CEO is stuck in traffic.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
smart ass.jpg

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Scratch is still on the road trying to get home after 7 1/2 hours on the road and no ETA.
The county where we live has been declared a state of emergency:

County is under a declared State of Emergency. This means that the County may issue travel restrictions and other regulations during the emergency time period to help expedite the recovery from the snow/ice event.

The situation is critical. You need to understand this. This is not something to be trifled with.

Stay home! Do not get out on the roads unless you absolutely have to. All roads are dangerous.

The County Department of Transportation will be working 24 hours a day through this emergency. However, temperatures on Wednesday are not expected to rise above freezing, so the ice and snow on the roadways will stay frozen. Temperatures will not get above freezing until Thursday afternoon.

We will have 10 – 15 mph winds overnight tonight into Wednesday. With temperatures already in the teens, the wind chill will be in the single digits. Even sand and salt on the roadways will not break up and melt hard frozen ice and snow, so the roads will continue to be dangerous until Thursday. Remember that black ice cannot be seen and is very dangerous!

Additional snow flurries/showers are expected until about midnight Tuesday night but little if any additional accumulation is predicted by the National Weather Service.

The County Courthouse and all external County services will be closed Wednesday. County E911, the County Sheriff’s Department, the County Fire/EMS, County Emergency Management, the County DOT, and County Communications will be at our posts 24 hours a day to aid our citizens through this time.

Do not call 911 unless you have an emergency. The E911 Center is handling thousands of calls and are dispatching the appropriate public safety agency to emergency situations. Due to the huge volume of calls, we are only able to respond to injury calls. If you have a fender bender, call a tow truck.

Do not leave an abandoned car in a traffic lane. If you feel you must abandon/leave your car, then get it off onto the shoulder of the road or into a nearby driveway or parking lot.

County Schools will be closed Wednesday.

Please stay home and stay safe!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Give you guys an update down here in Ga. We have multiple drivers that might be spending the night in the hub. It took some drivers over 5 hours to get back to the hub when the order went out by management to bring it back at approx 1600 hrs. Multiple drivers abandoned thier vehicles and some even walked 5+ miles home. Children are also sleeping overnight in some schools due to buses not being able to traverse over the ice.

Let me repeat, ICE, in case you failed to understand it's not snow.

Governor Deal is speaking right now if you care to actually look at what's going on.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Give you guys an update down here in Ga. We have multiple drivers that might be spending the night in the hub. It took some drivers over 5 hours to get back to the hub when the order went out by management to bring it back at approx 1600 hrs. Multiple drivers abandoned their vehicles and some even walked 5+ miles home. Children are also sleeping overnight in some schools due to buses not being able to traverse over the ice.

Let me repeat, ICE, in case you failed to understand it's not snow.

Governor Deal is speaking right now if you care to actually look at what's going on.
My grandson's school has 40 students and 6 staff members spending the night there and possibly tomorrow night as well.
My son-in-law spent 9 hours on the road and had to abandon his vehicle and walk the last 6 miles home.
He is a marathoner and Ironman so that was no problem for him.

There are some people who are stranded and the temperature is suppose to be down to single digits.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
My grandson's school has 40 students and 6 staff members spending the night there and possibly tomorrow night as well.
My son-in-law spent 9 hours on the road and had to abandon his vehicle and walk the last 6 miles home.
He is a marathoner and Ironman so that was no problem for him.

There are some people who are stranded and the temperature is suppose to be down to single digits.
I hope everything works out. They are sending state troopers out to schools to try and get some of these kids home. Some of these kids are on buses stranded, running out of gas.

BrownChoice

I live to the far north where snow is common. Snow doesnt even bother me, its the freezing rain, or even worse is when it snows then starts to melt then freezes overnight.
friend&@K THAT!!!!

Ive seen 4x4 off all kinds sitting it one spot unable to move.Stopping? Well your doomed in that case like others have pointed out...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I live to the far north where snow is common. Snow doesnt even bother me, its the freezing rain, or even worse is when it snows then starts to melt then freezes overnight.
friend&@K THAT!!!!

Ive seen 4x4 off all kinds sitting it one spot unable to move.Stopping? Well your doomed in that case like others have pointed out...
That's Atlanta most times when it snows here.
It seems we never get snow when it's 20 degrees.
It's always around freezing and the snow melts and then freezes.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
We don't have the infrastructure or resources to handle snow in any amount. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to spend money on equipment to use once or twice every decade. You guys can laugh it up, but we don't retire and move up there.

Don't speak for me about retiring to the south. I like it up here in the north - where the winners of the Civil War were from.
emot-iceburn.gif

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Come on down.
The problem down here is that 3 inches of snow turns into 1/2 inch or more of ice after a couple dozen cars drive over it.
There is no snow on the roads in Atlanta, it is all ice.
I've been driving on snow and ice for weeks. Put on 185 miles yesterday with roads in alot worse shape then what Atlanta has now. Salt doesn't melt anything when it gets this cold. That doesn't stop my management team from questioning why I am so much over-allowed every day.
Just maybe there will be a proclamation coming from corporate to give the guys in the north a break when there is snow and ice on the roads and lighten the dispatch. I can dream anyways.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Gotcha, Hoss. The chemistry is wrong and you are right. Here's a link to the Better Business Bureau, let 'em know about all this rampant false advertising in the ice melt industry and I'm sure they'll be happy to get the proper authorities involved.

http://www.bbb.org/council/

and here's a link to the American Chemical Society. I hope you get into contact with them and inform them their "math" is wrong and mixtures of solid CaCl, NaCl, KCl, and MgCl do not, in fact, lower the freezing temp of water below 0.
http://www.acs.org/content/acs/en.html

Last edited: