Here's hoping our CEO is stuck in traffic.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
They make this chemical called icemelt that stops ice from forming down well into the negatives. It doesn't go bad, either.
Icemelt works pretty good to around 10 below. I use it on my sidewalk and around downspouts.
However, the cost is prohibitive for municipalities to use on roads. Most of the towns on my route only use sand or a salt/sand mixture on the side roads.

You southerners do know us northerners wouldn't give you guys grief on these once a decade weather issues if you didn't give us the same every winter we have?

That being said I hope everyone gets home ok especially Scratch. I bet he's reconsidering the retirement date in his head.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You southerners do know us northerners wouldn't give you guys grief on these once a decade weather issues if you didn't give us the same every winter we have?

That being said I hope everyone gets home ok especially Scratch. I bet he's reconsidering the retirement date in his head.
I'll remember this next time you guys get a heat wave of 90 and have rolling brownouts.

Icemelt works pretty good to around 10 below. I use it on my sidewalk and around downspouts.
However, the cost is prohibitive for municipalities to use on roads. Most of the towns on my route only use sand or a salt/sand mixture on the side roads.

Cinders from coal using facilities works well and can be usually aquired on the cheap.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I don't care what the label says the :censored2: only works when it is above zero.
Actually he's right. Most blends of ice melt contain calcium & or magnesium which will melt snow & ice well below zero. Further, many municipalities & private contractors use treated or "majic" salt, which significantly enhances the melting ability of untreated rock salt.

http://ibgmagic.com

Oak

Cinders from coal using facilities works well and can be usually aquired on the cheap.
I keep ashes from my fireplace on hand. It's a very fine grit, but does provide traction on ice and snow. Any hint of sunshine and it melts ice really well due to the color.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
90? Bfd

The only rolling brown out we have is if we split the crotch in our shorts at the start of the day.
Speaking of cachsux, almost all of the problems in Atlanta was caused by tractor-trailers.
The cars that had problems seemed to be rear wheel drive cars.
It seems that tractor-trailers could not pull the grades with ice on them.
From what they are showing on TV, at least 75% of the stranded vehicles are tractor=trailers with many, many jack-knifed. The GA DOT is concentrating on pulling those tractor-trailers out from the front of stalled miles of traffic.

So, I was under the impression that tractor-trailers could make it when cars cannot.
Why is it that the tractor-trailers cannot make it up grades that cars can?

Speaking of cachsux, almost all of the problems in Atlanta was caused by tractor-trailers.
The cars that had problems seemed to be rear wheel drive cars.
It seems that tractor-trailers could not pull the grades with ice on them.
From what they are showing on TV, at least 75% of the stranded vehicles are tractor=trailers with many, many jack-knifed. The GA DOT is concentrating on pulling those tractor-trailers out from the front of stalled miles of traffic.

So, I was under the impression that tractor-trailers could make it when cars cannot.
Why is it that the tractor-trailers cannot make it up grades that cars can?

On level surface you can take it nice and easy and usually be ok barring high winds. I'll take a loaded set of doubles as first choice in bad weather due to the number of axles for traction and braking and the fact the weight is spread out a little more over them.
Toss in hills and such and forget it. Car or truck you can't beat simple physics. When those trucks loose traction and get out of hand the pivot points make it tougher to stay on top of the vehicle and you'll usually jack knife to some level. Best bet it to try and keep it straight wherever your pointed if you can.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
On level surface you can take it nice and easy and usually be ok barring high winds. I'll take a loaded set of doubles as first choice in bad weather due to the number of axles for traction and braking and the fact the weight is spread out a little more over them.
Toss in hills and such and forget it. Car or truck you can't beat simple physics. When those trucks loose traction and get out of hand the pivot points make it tougher to stay on top of the vehicle and you'll usually jack knife to some level. Best bet it to try and keep it straight wherever your pointed if you can.
Atlanta roads, including Interstates, have lots of hills and curves.
Atlanta is in the Piedmont just before the mountains.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
There were 600 Corporate employees that spent the night in the Corporate office.
All volunteered to rub Scott's feet for him and his evening tea.
I guess there is still loyalty at UPS. :grouphugg:

MaceFremonti

Cach prefers a set of doubles in the snow? I actually prefer a heavy triple Z 53'. More weight on the drive tires vs a set. Sets overall are heavier with less weight on the drive axel. Last week I had to be towed up the same hill when I had doubles vs making it with a 53'. Of course if I had a twin screw instead of only a single it probably wouldn't have mattered...:confused:

On ice it doesn't matter. You are just friend**d.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Cach prefers a set of doubles in the snow? I actually prefer a heavy triple Z 53'. More weight on the drive tires vs a set. Sets overall are heavier with less weight on the drive axel. Last week I had to be towed up the same hill when I had doubles vs making it with a 53'. Of course if I had a twin screw instead of only a single it probably wouldn't have mattered...:confused:

On ice it doesn't matter. You are just friend**d.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Cach has no appreciable hills in his work area. Cach likes the maneuverability and braking ability of his sets. Mace needs to drive to some of the urban Chicago rail yards with his 53' and then he too will like doubles better.