Here's How UPS Driver Income Stacks Up

JL 0513

There is a chance most have never worked anywhere else. Good luck to you here. It is difficult to fit in if you don't whine about how hard your job is or how late you work and so on. Most of these folks would really be whining if they ever lost their difficult job. You have a good outlook.

I have certainly noticed the mostly negative view of the job on this forum, and I get that. I totally understand the frustrations, the wear a tear, and how the long hours get old, ect... I know it's a good place to vent.

From my perspective, and likely other newer guys these days that waited forever to go driving, this is as good as it gets. Older guys that may have started in the '80's and '90's likely started younger because the wait time wasn't nearly as long. So many of them didn't do the two low paying job grind. This is golden in comparison.

All my previous jobs had me constantly thinking about the clock and counting down the minutes to punch out. The days just dragged on. I don't think of time that way anymore. Time is now a reference to how my day is progressing. And time has never gone by so fast.

Right now, making $17.xx/hr is a big deal to me. Just 3 years ago, I was making $10/hr at my full time job. Fortunately, I replaced that job with one that paid a few bucks more running up to this year's driving opportunity.

Sometimes it takes some perspective to see how good this job is. It beats us down, but what are the alternatives for most of us? Especially in this new economy.

You don't even have to look beyond UPS for perspective. Preload and the local sort are both harder to do than driving (physically, and speed wise). And you make 1/4 the pay (at start) to full rate driver pay. Think about it.

Here's 30 jobs that pay a national median of $80K/yr.

Now a few considerations:

*Yes, those at top rate only past that figure with typical overtime. Some drivers even pass $90K.
*And although we need overtime to match, we get pensions and other benefits that these other jobs don't provide.
*And for the record, these figures are a few years old but surely haven't changed much.

Consider the education required for all these jobs. We're not doing too shabby for doing a job with no advanced skills needed. In fact, we learn what we need to do the job in a matter of weeks. But we do earn every penny!

1. Administrative law judges, adjudicators and hearing officers
Do this: Conduct hearings to rule on government-related claims; determine penalties and liability; and help to craft settlements.
Get paid: $80,870
2. Biomedical engineers
Do this: Design and develop devices and procedures to help solve health-related problems. Projects might include information systems, artificial organs or artificial limbs.
Get paid: $81,120
3. Chiropractors
Do this: Diagnose and treat musculoskeletal conditions of the spinal column to prevent disease and alleviate imbalance, pain and pressure believed to be caused by interference with nervous system.
Get paid: $81,340
4. Atmospheric, earth, marine and space sciences teachers, post-secondary
Do this: Teach courses and research topics in the physical sciences, except chemistry and physics.
Get paid: $81,470
5. Agents and business managers of artists, performers and athletes
Do this: Represent and promote their client's business while handling business matters and contract negotiations.
Get paid: $81,550
6. Materials scientists
Do this: Study the chemical composition of various materials and figure out ways to develop new materials and improve existing ones; also determine ways to use materials in products.
Get paid: $81,600
7. Physician assistants
Do this: Perform health-care services and provide treatment plans under a physician's supervision.
Get paid: $81,610
8. Medical scientists, except epidemiologists
Do this: Research and investigate human diseases and how to improve human health.
Get paid: $81,870
9. Physics teachers, post-secondary
Do this: Teach courses and research topics pertaining to the laws of matter and energy.
Get paid: $81,880
10. Atmospheric and space scientists
Do this: Study the effects the atmosphere has on the environment, most commonly through weather forecasting.
Get paid: $82,080
11. Management analysts
Do this: Figure out best practices of management by conducting studies and procedures to help companies figure out how to operate more effectively.
Get paid: $82,920
12. Producers and directors
Do this: Produce or direct, and make all creative decisions for stage, television, radio, video or motion picture productions.
Get paid: $83,030
13. Biological science teachers, post-secondary
Do this: Teach courses and research topics in biological sciences.
Get paid: $83,270
14. Materials engineers
Do this: Develop new uses for recognized materials, and develop new machinery and processes to make materials for use in specialized products.
Get paid: $84,200
15. Transportation, storage and distribution managers
Do this: Oversee transportation, storage or distribution activities in accordance with governmental policies and regulations.
Get paid: $84,520
16. Financial analysts
Do this: Assess the financial situations of an individual or organization.
Get paid: $84,780
17. Electrical engineers
Do this: Design, develop and test the manufacturing and installation of electrical equipment.
Get paid: $85,350
18. Education administrators, elementary and secondary school
Do this: Oversee all activities of public or private elementary or secondary schools.
Get paid: $86,060
19. Industrial-organizational psychologists
Do this: Work with companies to solve problems within the company. You may help with policy planning; employee screening, training and development; and organizational development and analysis.
Get paid: $86,460
20. Computer software engineers, applications
Do this: Build computer applications software and code; ensure that all software projects adhere to a company's technology and business standards.
Get paid: $87,900
21. Economics teachers, post-secondary
Do this: Teach courses and research topics in economics.
Get paid: $88,330
22. Biochemists and biophysicists
Do this: Study the chemical composition and physical principles of living cells and organisms, their electrical and mechanical energy, and related phenomena.
Get paid: $88,450
23. Art directors
Do this: Create design concepts and presentation in artwork, layout design and copywriting for visual communications media.
Get paid: $88,510
24. Electronics engineers, except computer
Do this: Design, develop and test a wide range of electronic equipment, from CD players to global positioning systems.
Get paid: $88,670
25. Medical and health services managers
Do this: Supervise medical and health services in hospitals, clinics and similar organizations.
Get paid: $88,750
26. Chemical engineers
Do this: Design chemical plant equipment and create processes for manufacturing chemicals and products.
Get paid: $88,760
27. Geoscientists, except hydrologists and geographers
Do this: Study the composition, structure and other physical aspects of the Earth.
Get paid: $89,300
28. Veterinarians
Do this: Provide health care for family pets, livestock and zoo animals. Provide check-ups, treat diseases and advise caretakers on how to best raise their animals.
Get paid: $89,450
29. Construction managers
Do this:Oversee all activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities and systems.
Get paid: $89,770
30. Sales engineers
Do this: Sell business goods or services, the selling of which requires a technical background equivalent to a bachelor's degree in engineering.
Get paid: $89,770

Makes you feel pretty good, doesn't it? :wink2:

(sorry if this has been posted in the last few years)
I make more than all these non teamsters plus I get laid about 20 times a year. I'm getting ripped off. hall needs to go back to the table.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I have certainly noticed the mostly negative view of the job on this forum, and I get that. I totally understand the frustrations, the wear a tear, and how the long hours get old, ect... I know it's a good place to vent.

From my perspective, and likely other newer guys these days that waited forever to go driving, this is as good as it gets. Older guys that may have started in the '80's and '90's likely started younger because the wait time wasn't nearly as long. So many of them didn't do the two low paying job grind. This is golden in comparison.

All my previous jobs had me constantly thinking about the clock and counting down the minutes to punch out. The days just dragged on. I don't think of time that way anymore. Time is now a reference to how my day is progressing. And time has never gone by so fast.

Right now, making $17.xx/hr is a big deal to me. Just 3 years ago, I was making $10/hr at my full time job. Fortunately, I replaced that job with one that paid a few bucks more running up to this year's driving opportunity.

Sometimes it takes some perspective to see how good this job is. It beats us down, but what are the alternatives for most of us? Especially in this new economy.

You don't even have to look beyond UPS for perspective. Preload and the local sort are both harder to do than driving (physically, and speed wise). And you make 1/4 the pay (at start) to full rate driver pay. Think about it.

Look, I've got nothing against you. But your view on everything needs some years of perspective. That is definitely not to say just because your newer your view doesn't count. It does.

But just because there are a lot of negative people around here doesn't mean the down view isn't valid too.

I won't ever pretend to speak for anyone else but myself, but next year will be my 30TH year here, and I've done nearly every job you could have done. Without a doubt, package car is, by far, the toughest job at this company. And I had to switch hubs and wait 6 years to get that job.

I preloaded for 6 years, and this was when we had to look up sequence numbers, from charts on the back of package cars, write the # on the package then load it where it was supposed to go. Preloading was EASY compared to living in a package car for 12 hours a day. While I preloaded, I also went to college, and then, worked another job when I crapped out in school.

I really can't argue with you about the view of perspective. That goes for anything in life. ANYTHING. But that same view of perspective can also blind you to the fist flying towards your face. Things have changed for the worse with this company, and that is probably why a lot of the old timers bitch and moan about the way things are now.

But make no mistake, while it is fine to be glad you have this job, it is down right ignorant to compare yourself to any other job. For all of the complainers you speak of in these forums, there are just as many people who feel we should kiss the UPS brass ring, and be glad where we are, and accept anything they offer us.

Think what you want, but that is the quickest way to become like all of the things those people compare us to. Yeah, we've got good insurance, but Fed/Ex doesn't, so we should listen to UPS and accept what FDX gets. When going into contract negotiations, when FDX tries to cannibalize our business, we should cut our wages, our work rules and be glad we have a step or two above the rest of America.

Look, be realistic. You are young. The chances are, the pension will be long gone when you reach retirement. Central States tells you to your face that they pay out two dollars for every dollar they take in. Do that math, and consider your options. Barrel up on your stocks and 401k. If you know what you know now, then you make your own retirement.

Many of the conservatives ?? in these forums, bitch and whine about Obamacare, but if they would take a breath or two, they would realize that they are in the cat bird's seat. We have, at a minimum, five years of our own insurance. Obamacare will either get worked out, repealed or get tattooed on American skin, but the waters should be smooth if we ever quit our healthcare plan.

But the bigger point here, is we, as a group need to be strong, and not. be. intimidated. By other workers; by UPS; and especially by our own union.

You can see examples of this by simply searching contract threads and reading how the pro-union people paint a picture of devastation if we don't approve our current contract proposal.

I guess what I'm saying is, make up your own mind. If the company is making record bank, don't buy the pennies in the palm sob stories from the company or union.

coolslice

Which leads me to something I've also been curious about. What does the average Fedex Ground driver make a year?

I worked for FedEx Express for a few years before UPS. I was making about 40K when I left in 04. I think I would be making ~50k there today according to friends that still work there. That sounds like a huge difference, and it is, but IMO 50K for what they do and the freedoms they have is a better deal than 80K at UPS. I road around delivering letters in an air conditioned truck while having a sweet goatee. It was nice, and I often wish I'd have stayed there.

We hear all the time from the Union about how much better we have it at UPS, but let me tell you, FedEx is a MUCH better company to work for outside the pay. They actually trust their employees. The pay is the ONLY thing UPS drivers have on FedEx Express drivers. I'm not sure about ground.

Overpaid Union Thug

Which leads me to something I've also been curious about. What does the average Fedex Ground driver make a year?

I worked for FedEx Express for a few years before UPS. I was making about 40K when I left in 04. I think I would be making ~50k there today according to friends that still work there. That sounds like a huge difference, and it is, but IMO 50K for what they do and the freedoms they have is a better deal than 80K at UPS. I road around delivering letters in an air conditioned truck while having a sweet goatee. It was nice, and I often wish I'd have stayed there.

We hear all the time from the Union about how much better we have it at UPS, but let me tell you, FedEx is a MUCH better company to work for outside the pay. They actually trust their employees. The pay is the ONLY thing UPS drivers have on FedEx Express drivers. I'm not sure about ground.

I sometimes wish I had took a job at FedEx Express. Ive had two opportunities. One in my area and another across state. I was already driving regularly with UPS when the local Express station driver supervisor offered me a job driving while we were both waiting for our drop box times to occur so I never called him. $50k/year with more family time and MUCH less wear and tear on the body sure sounds nice. The thing that makes make believe I made the right decision is when I see that FedEx drivers are getting laid off on the news every time the economy goes south.

purplesky

20 years ago FDX Express was a better gig than UPS package car but not in 2013. ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE NOW. UPS IS WINNING.:wink2:

FDX as a company is divided and there is uncertainty in the FDX ground model. Many UPS drivers make close to 90k. Income builds wealth and if you are saving and investing making 90k vs 50k makes a huge difference especially if you have kids.

UPS is a much better run company. Yes UPS can be hard to work for sometimes BUT WELCOME TO LIFE.:wink2:

eiknx

$650 a week x 4 weeks = $2,600 a month x 12 months = $31,200 a year + 55 hours a week x 52 weeks in a year = 2860 hours a year, SO WE MAKING $10.00 an hour. (Clock-in 7am Clock-out 6pm). What does a 22ft van driver make in UPS?

JL 0513

$650 a week x 4 weeks = $2,600 a month x 12 months = $31,200 a year + 55 hours a week x 52 weeks in a year = 2860 hours a year, SO WE MAKING $10.00 an hour. (Clock-in 7am Clock-out 6pm). What does a 22ft van driver make in UPS?

Wait, are you a FedEx Air driver? Are you not paid hourly? Works out to $10/hr? Are you kidding me? UPS driver (after 4 years) makes almost $33/hr. At least in my state. I guess it varies a bit by state. Not to mention mandatory overtime everyday. That is $49.xx/hr.

JL 0513

I always wondered exactly how FedEx drivers are compensated, not just how much, but the system they have. I always heard that they are essentially contracted and must own and operate (and maintain) their vehicles. Not to mention buy their own health insurance. And is it true that they are paid by the mile/stop? Thought I heard that too. Basically, I was under the impression they they made more but have all of these costs in place so net less. Can someone enlighten me who knows?

JL 0513

I'm Fedex Ground Driver, http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3531/3254282875_4574de320c.jpg. I'm paid weekly, which is $650, doesn't matter if I work 40 or 55 hours, or if I do 80 stops all week or 120 stops, I get $650 friday 0:01am.

Interesting. Could you go into more detail? Sorry for my curiosity.

I never heard of FedEx drivers being salary. That's a weird system for this kind of work. Is it low because you are new? What is the pay progression?

eiknx

Fedex has contracts with "Owners"(people that bought the routes and have their own equipement), they pay the owners to put the stickers on their trucks, for their drivers to wear Fedex uniforms. I don't know how much they get or what is the percentage off of the amount of packages or stops to Owners pocket, all I know I have a boss who has 3 drivers including me with a set wage weekly, he is responsible for all of us. Fedex only responsibility is to supply packages to us. SO HOW MUCH DOES A UPS DRIVER MAKE AGAIN? I been driving for 2 years now…haven't heard any "pay progression" coming