Here's How UPS Driver Income Stacks Up

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Interesting. Could you go into more detail? Sorry for my curiosity.

I never heard of FedEx drivers being salary. That's a weird system for this kind of work. Is it low because you are new? What is the pay progression?
'

And because he makes $650 a week, naturally, we should give concessions back to UPS.

JL 0513

Fedex has contracts with "Owners"(people that bought the routes and have their own equipement), they pay the owners to put the stickers on their trucks, for their drivers to wear Fedex uniforms. I don't know how much they get or what is the percentage off of the amount of packages or stops to Owners pocket, all I know I have a boss who has 3 drivers including me with a set wage weekly, he is responsible for all of us. SO HOW MUCH DOES A UPS DRIVER MAKE AGAIN? I been driving for 2 years now…haven't heard any "pay progression" coming

Thanks for the info. It's amazing how the two companies are so completely different, yet do essentially the same thing. I don't understand how they can salary you on a job like this. Varying hours like that. No overtime pay is BS.

UPS just got a new contract so numbers are different for the next 5 years. But for the last 5 years, the Starting driver pay was $16.10 and progressed all the way to $32.xx/hr after just 3 years. The new starting pay I believe is $18.xx/hr and at the end of this contract drivers will be at nearly $37.00 an hour. With average drivers doing about 6 hours of time and a half overtime a week. Typically, they bank anywhere between $75K and $100K a year.

eiknx

yes, our owner doesn't pay us hourly, I don't know about others but assuming no too. Thank you for your response to my question JL!

p.s. $650 after taxes, sorry for confusion, so around $800 - taxes..

Last edited:

JL 0513

I don't get how if FedEx doesn't pay hourly, then how do they fairly determine how many stops/miles/pieces to give you each day? I guess it just isn't fair. They can just give you 11 hours of work and pay you a flat fee that is more in line to an 8 hour day. That smells like BS to me.

JL 0513

Oh, and by the way eiknx, I forgot to mention that we are provided full health insurance at no cost to us (including adding as many family members as we have). As well as a full pension. These 2 items are worth a LOT of money.

eiknx

I think it's just how it works, not enough experience, every owner started working for other owners that retired so they found out the process. I'm thinking getting cdl going local, maybe get hazmat like my friend and haul gas to gas stations and can be home everyday and get fat paychecks. All bosses are why they are bosses, they make money, for us drivers I think either you take what you are given or if one is smart enough to push through to somewhere else, like semi trucking or something.

Last edited:

gingerkat

Interesting. Could you go into more detail? Sorry for my curiosity.

I never heard of FedEx drivers being salary. That's a weird system for this kind of work. Is it low because you are new? What is the pay progression?
Probably not enough for a "premium" car

JL 0513

Probably not enough for a "premium" car

Haha, funny stuff.

Sorry for ever bringing up the automobile on this forum. I've never seen such a large group of guys with no interest in cars. It's foreign to me. Car's have been a passion of mine since about 3 years old. Can't help it.

jaker

trolling
Haha, funny stuff.

Sorry for ever bringing up the automobile on this forum. I've never seen such a large group of guys with no interest in cars. It's foreign to me. Car's have been a passion of mine since about 3 years old. Can't help it.
A lot of us have a passion for cars , but we share that with people on forums who into the same thing

ups forum = ups people
jeep forum = jeep people

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What you should be comparing is, company profits vs paying living wages. Perhaps companies like Walmart need a union so some of that profit can come back to the workers?

JL 0513

What you should be comparing is, company profits vs paying living wages. Perhaps companies like Walmart need a union so some of that profit can come back to the workers?

That's a whole other can of worms. Nothing to do with comparing compensation between jobs.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

​The profit margin for Wal-Mart is not that great but the increased costs could be passed on to the consumer.

JL 0513

​The profit margin for Wal-Mart is not that great but the increased costs could be passed on to the consumer.

Yup, if Wal*Mart unionized, that would likely spell the end of Wal*Mart. The only way they'd stay in business is if all other large retail was unionized as well. And if they were, goods would cost substantially more. There's a reason why shipping a package UPS is so expensive.

Just like these idiots at McDonald's demanding $15/hr. To flip burgers. What do you think would happen to McDonald's? How much would a #1 cost? More than most people would be willing to pay. It's already too expensive. $8 for soda (worthless), fries (nearly worthless), and a cheap burger with the only ingredient worth much, the low quality beef. Buns (dirt cheap), condiments (pennies), veggies (pennies). The majority of the cost is the labor and the land/building/operating cost.

Now nearly double the labor cost and these restaurants have problems.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed

Yup, if Wal*Mart unionized, that would likely spell the end of Wal*Mart. The only way they'd stay in business is if all other large retail was unionized as well. And if they were, goods would cost substantially more. There's a reason why shipping a package UPS is so expensive.

Just like these idiots at McDonald's demanding $15/hr. To flip burgers. What do you think would happen to McDonald's? How much would a #1 cost? More than most people would be willing to pay. It's already too expensive. $8 for soda (worthless), fries (nearly worthless), and a cheap burger with the only ingredient worth much, the low quality beef. Buns (dirt cheap), condiments (pennies), veggies (pennies). The majority of the cost is the labor and the land/building/operating cost.

In other parts of the world mcdonalds pays the equalvilant of 15 dollars an hour. Wal mart has union workers and does just fine.

purplesky

By Ashley Lutz and Mike Nudelman, Business Insider

Wal-Mart (WMT) is America's biggest retailer.
We compiled some facts about Wal-Mart that will blow your mind:

• Wal-Mart averages a profit of $1.8 million every hour.

• 35 million people shop at Wal-Mart every day, as much as the population of Canada.

• Wal-Mart's $316 billion U.S. retail sales exceed those of Kroger (KR), Target (TGT), Costco (COST) and Walgreens (WAG) combined.

• The average Wal-Mart supercenter sells 140,000 individual items.

• Wal-Mart opened between four and five new stores every week in 2012.

• The Walton family is worth $150 billion, about as much as Bill Gates, Warren Buffett and Michael Bloomberg combined.

• Wal-Mart commonly receives 25 applications for every open job.

• Between Wal-Mart's opening in 1962 and 2002, the number of single-store retailers in the U.S. declined 55%.

• Wal-Mart accounts for 25% of Clorox's (CLX) total sales.

• Wal-Mart's top-selling item in 2012 was the banana.

• 90% of Americans live within 15 minutes of a Wal-Mart.

• Wal-Mart's net sales were $466 billion in 2012. That's more than Argentina's GDP.

• Wal-Mart has 2.2 million employees, more than the population of Houston.

• If Wal-Mart were a country, it would be the 26th largest economy in the world.

Walmart could easily pay their avg. worker $15.00hr and that would get thousands of Walmart workers off government welfare.

The Walmart family doesn't even pay income tax on their $150 billion fortune.

The American taxpayers have spent billions to help build those stores all across America.

Their profit is almost $2 million an hour. There is some wiggle room to give raises without raising their EVERYDAY LOW PRICES. :wink2:

purplesky

You do realize that many workers at Walmart and Mcdonalds qualify for and use welfare assistance from the American taxpayer.

1. McDonald’s
> Cost to U.S. taxpayers: $1.2 billion
> CEO Compensation: $13.7 million
> U.S. restaurant workforce: 707,850
> Revenue: $27.57 billion
> Net income: $5.47 billion
McDonalds remains extremely profitable. The burger chain's net income was nearly $5.5 billion last year. The company also effectively returned all of its profits to shareholders, paying out a total of $5.5 billion in dividends and stock buybacks. While arguments have persisted on both sides as to whether McDonald’s should or should not increase its workers' pay, the company itself recently demonstrated just how difficult living on less than $8 an hour can be. In July, a sample budget from the company’s financial planning website for employees was leaked. The planners made several questionable assumptions, including that an employee could work two nearly-full time jobs and spend $20 a month on health insurance.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Other things factor in too, like the random cutting of hours, forcing workers to do weekends endlessly, and changing shifts on the fly.

JL 0513

Remember that even with a Union, UPS starts us at the same rate as McDonald's and Wal*Mart. And we have to pay union dues, they don't. And we work much, much harder. The only benefit - better benefits (and a potentially lucrative future).

You have to remember that McDonald's and like jobs is an entrance into the workforce. Mostly for kids still in school learning their first work skills. This isn't a place to earn a "living wage". When did this happen? If your expecting to make a living out of McDonald's (and not be a manager) than you're out of your mind.

Above (facts on Walmart) states that there's 25 applications for each open position. Why, if people aren't hoping for the opportunity and pay that Walmart offers. If it was bad, they wouldn't get applications, would they.

Raising the pay to $15, or even just $12 will price all of these young people out of the market resulting in a generation not getting any first time work experience.

Also consider the other side of this. Minimum wage acts as a baseline for the value of a dollar. Wanna hyper-inflate currency? Raise the minimum wage to a "living wage". You'll see the value of a dollar plummet. Then, those same people will be in the same place they were before.

Be careful what you wish for.