Here's the situation

Dragon

Package Center Manager
There will be bitching but nothing serious.

Oh the bitching has already started, the center has 14 additional late air which rolls up to the district having 14 additional late air which in turn rolls up to the region. At a minimum he will be getting a warning for failure to follow and if he already has one of those its time for some unpaid time off.

Next item will be to deal with the regular driver and the "agreement"...

upschuck

It is now not only the brokerage fees that almost were not collected, UPS could have possibly lost the shipping charges as well, if the shipper wants their money back for the late air.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Yeah I did leave them there and trust they had a check which I know was a mistake. It's not my route and that's the agreement between the regular driver and said customer. The bottom line is it was stupid and I know now to not let it happen again. Whatever their going to do about it, their going to do about it. It is what it is.
Learn from your mistakes and move on. This job is learn on the fly when your first driving. Keep a couple drivers numbers handy n if you have any doubts about how or what to do ask any of the veterans as I'm sure they will be more than happy to help you out.

Rainman

Its all good.
You made a mistake and owned up to it. You learned your lesson about sheeting packages. Always follow the methods when recording packages. As far as leaving CODs, that's up to you, but you know the consequences if you don't collect. I know plenty of people who do it, but they know the risk.
Your job isn't in jeopardy, but it puts you high on the radar, which isn't good. Be a Boy Scout from now on. Fly low on the radar for a while and this will blow over. I like how you took responsibility for your mistake. Too bad more people at Brown don't do that.

DSM515

You will get your butt handed to you as you should, but it sounded like a rookie mistake. Own up to it with your center manager,don't over explain, don't throw other driver under the bus, have your union steward with you when they call you in or DONT go until you have one. Good luck you'll be ok just don't start making excuses to your center manager, that really pisses them off they heard them all.

Re-Raise

Obviously you didn't know that once you record them as NM1 in the morning it won't show up late if you deliver them later in the day and record them in the same DIAD. Now you do. It is just part of the learning process.

Don't leave packages until you have the check in your hand.

542thruNthru

Don't worry about what upstate says. He has already told us he leaves a package with a customer and picks up the check later in the day when he does a pick up near the customer. The difference is he hasn't been bit in the ass by it yet. He just likes to pretend he is superior and does everything right. So just ignore him.

Also... you can't screw his wife.... he doesn't have one. Again another reason why he is not superior.

O

OLDMAN3

Don't listen to the drivers who say it is your choice to leave CODs and collect later. This was common practice in our center 20 years ago (but never official UPS policy). I had over $4,000 in cash only CODs for a business that would pay later in the day (after going to the bank).
They did this everyday for years and never missed a payout until... The owner ran into severe cash flow problems and was going to stiff me for the $4,000. Luckily I knew his home address, and more importantly, his mother. He paid up that same day. Lesson learned...NEVER leave a COD without payment.

rpoz11

Ok so today I had 14 express savers all with brokerage fees totalling to almost t grand today. I delivered to the business at about 1115 this morning, but they didn't have a check ready so I said I would pick it up when I did their pick up. I get to the pick up at 1620 and stop complete it, take all the packages back as they did not leave a check. The problem is I now have shown 14 late airs

Next time... you might want to try that with your Sup on car.

Might make the next morning's 'talk with' just THAT more interesting!

rpoz11

Don't listen to the drivers who say it is your choice to leave CODs and collect later. This was common practice in our center 20 years ago (but never official UPS policy). I had over $4,000 in cash only CODs for a business that would pay later in the day (after going to the bank).
They did this everyday for years and never missed a payout until...

Yupp.
Been there, done that with COD's years ago; No More!
Used to have a customer on this guy's route that I did when utility.
50-125K in cods once or twice a week.
They always paid; never missed...
BUT
One never knows the day when one goes back later for the checks and the business closed early and sent everyone home.

DONT RISK LEAVING COD'S

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Oh the bitching has already started, the center has 14 additional late air which rolls up to the district having 14 additional late air which in turn rolls up to the region. At a minimum he will be getting a warning for failure to follow and if he already has one of those its time for some unpaid time off.

How would management find out about the bid driver's agreement with the customer unless the OP rats them out? Which I'm sure he will....oh (insert customer name) told me that that's the way the bid driver always does it.

brown bomber

brown bomber

Ask Dave,..he will give you guidance

Ok so today I had 14 express savers all with brokerage fees totalling to almost t grand today. I delivered to the business at about 1115 this morning, but they didn't have a check ready so I said I would pick it up when I did their pick up. I get to the pick up at 1620 and stop complete it, take all the packages back as they did not leave a check. The problem is I now have shown 14 late airs. However if I were to stop complete upon delivery it would've been falsifying by saying I had a check when I didn't. I could have sheeted it as no money 1 to stop complete in time but I woukdve had to redo the stop anyway when I found out there was no check. I guess my question is, can I expect discipline for this? I strongly feel like I did the right thing here even if it screwed me.
No money one. If they have it when you go back then resheet it. If you are worried about it looking like you are padding stops simply hit the duplicate key. You can always call your sup and ask them what they want you to do. It's called putting it on them.