Here's The Story Behind The Strike That Got 250 UPS Workers Fired

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Here's The Story Behind The Strike That Got 250 UPS Workers Fired - Business Insider

UPS said it dismissed Reyes on Feb. 14 because he repeatedly clocked in earlier than his shift was set to start, which resulted in his being paid overtime for hours that he allegedly didn't work.

"There was a disagreement over the hours he clocked and the hours he actually worked, and we discharged him after several warnings," UPS spokesman Steve Gaut told Business Insider.

The early clock-ins were reported over a period of five days, Gaut said. Reyes was officially fired for "admitted dishonesty."

oldngray

nowhere special
The UPS claim is Reyes was "stealing" time. Those people making comments compared it to clocking in early but not working. If his center manager told him it was OK for him to start early (which he will never admit to now) and he was working then not really stealing time. Not like they are trying to compare to someone who clocks in but doesn't work. If UPS had expected him to start early but work off the clock then that would be stealing from him but of course that wouldn't matter. And a little thing like starting 10 minutes or so early can mean getting done 20 or 30 minutes earlier so it could have actually saved UPS money. I don't know if that actually happened but is a possibility. Also UPS is acting as if he was trying to get more OT when most driver do everything possible to reduce the hours they have to work. In any event, looks like UPS will not be willing to compromise so it will all on the arbitration decisions now.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
From the article:
UPS said it dismissed Reyes on Feb. 14 because he repeatedly clocked in earlier than his shift was set to start, which resulted in his being paid overtime for hours that he allegedly didn't work.

According to the union, Teamsters Local 804, the firing violated an "innocent until proven guilty" clause that allows terminated employees to continue working until they have had an opportunity to defend themselves in a hearing with union and UPS officials.

That hearing was eventually held on Feb. 26 at the Maspeth distribution facility where Reyes worked, and his termination was upheld. Immediately following the meeting, Reyes walked out of the facility with about 250 workers in tow.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-ups-fired-250-workers-2014-4#ixzz2y2JDdVpN

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The UPS claim is Reyes was "stealing" time. Those people making comments compared it to clocking in early but not working. If his center manager told him it was OK for him to start early (which he will never admit to now) and he was working then not really stealing time. Not like they are trying to compare to someone who clocks in but doesn't work. If UPS had expected him to start early but work off the clock then that would be stealing from him but of course that wouldn't matter. And a little thing like starting 10 minutes or so early can mean getting done 20 or 30 minutes earlier so it could have actually saved UPS money. I don't know if that actually happened but is a possibility. Also UPS is acting as if he was trying to get more OT when most driver do everything possible to reduce the hours they have to work. In any event, looks like UPS will not be willing to compromise so it will all on the arbitration decisions now.
Fired for admitted dishonesty....that's a cardinal sin, right?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
In the article, ups claims Reyes was warned several times for clocking in early. So, assuming that's true, the $64,000 question is, why after the first warning, did he continue to clock in before his start time?

oldngray

nowhere special
In the article, ups claims Reyes was warned several times for clocking in early. So, assuming that's true, the $64,000 question is, why after the first warning, did he continue to clock in before his start time?

There seems to be more about Reyes than we are hearing. And why was Liam so eager to make a stand about him instead of letting Reyes get his job back after arbitration like is usually done?

thessalonian13

How can you clock in early? That makes no sense!!! My start time is 840am but I am usually in the center by 825am and I punch in my DIAD at that time and get EDD. I do not start getting paid until 840am even though I punched in at 825am. Something is not right with the article or what he got fired for. According to the article then I could get fired too for "punching in early." Am I missing something here?

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...t-250-ups-workers-fired.355646/#ixzz2y2RWsiuM

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How can you clock in early? That makes no sense!!! My start time is 840am but I am usually in the center by 825am and I punch in my DIAD at that time and get EDD. I do not start getting paid until 840am even though I punched in at 825am. Something is not right with the article or what he got fired for. According to the article then I could get fired too for "punching in early." Am I missing something here?

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...t-250-ups-workers-fired.355646/#ixzz2y2RWsiuM

He was changing his start time in the DIAD.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
There seems to be more about Reyes than we are hearing. And why was Liam so eager to make a stand about him instead of letting Reyes get his job back after arbitration like is usually done?
I'm sure there's more to the backstory than the article states. Story that I heard back in Feb was he had a sup's permission to start early. Not saying that part is untrue..but he didn't have a witness.

oldngray

nowhere special
The driver who used to work next to me would do that. He would ask half a dozen sups until he finally got one to say OK. Then a month later claim was told he could even if the original sup had been transferred. Nothing was ever done to him but he was one of those crybabies who get away with everything. Ironically despite his impression he was so "special" he was the least senior driver in the loop.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I still haven't figured it out after all these years why they are so immature about stuff. Its like they trip on the stupid little stuff but the real big problems like the dispatch sucking, the loads suck, the dol is garbage and the edds are all cut up and way too much work on every route. I don't get it that they trip on this gayazz little shiznitt. Them people need to get a life. I have never ever worked for a company that was so ran like poop, and tripped on the stupidest little things. Constantly throwing money down the drain when they could make so much more money and save so much money if they would tighten up all the biggest problems. Just shows you how immature and stupid the people that run the company are. A bunch of lazyazz people in management that don't want to do anything but sit on their :censored2: all day and play with their puds and push paper all day. True leaders fix problems, true leaders want the rock in their hand at the end of the game and want the responsibility on their shoulders if they win or lose. Their not scared of the repercussions because they had the kahunas to make the decision, but at least they tried instead of running away from it. Those are what you call true leaders, not these sissy babies who call themselves supervisors. THE PEOPLE WHO RUN THIS COMPANY ARE NOT TRUE LEADERS.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Not if all the things you post on here are true of other drivers! :surprised:
Its no secret the company hates its employees, pretty obvious even though were the slaves that make the company all their money and still hate us. I don't understand how that works really. I don't get it. The company works us to death but hates us to death. Duh how the heck is the work going to get done without employees. Its senseless just like all the other senseless idiot bs they do that doesn't make sense and wastes money on stuff that don't work. I don't even see how someone could even like and or agree with management being in management.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
To me its hilarious how the management game works. Its like a trickle down effect. The guy at the bottom sucks this dudes JOHHNY STICK, the guy above him sucks that guys JOHNNY STICK until it gets to the top guy who sucks on scott davis's JOHNNY STICK. Its so dam funny n such a game I gotta laugh my PLANTERS(nutts) off. Aint no way in the world homey I would ever sellout n play that freakin game no matter how much them numbnutts paid me. Totally no respect from me anyway to a sellout. A sellout is as bad as a liar, oh wait that is the same thing. Your retired PHOTOG-HOXIEBEAR, and I like ya dude and I think your a cool smart dude, so this is totally not a shot at you dogg. Its to the other numbnuttz:peaceful: