Herman Cain's 9-0-9 Plan

av8torntn

UPSTATE, what you miss in the 9-0-9 plan is the elimination of the minimum wage. Thats his trade off. This elimination places more people into the poverty level and CAINS gift back to these people is a 0 percent income tax.

How nice of him.

Peace.

Actually the elimination of the minimum wage would do the opposite and place more people in employment.

av8torntn

What's the highest tax bracket for the rich there now ?
Like a pro footballer, or hollywood star ? Over 20%, maybe 25% ?

You lower that down to 9% - nice !

35% and it would be great to lower the penalty for success in the Country even lower than 9%.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I dont know that it is a perfect plan, and I believe it may be in iits infancy. I think he is releasing bits at a time, to keep people interested. After all he has no political experience to share, about all the wonderful things he has done, hence no one can do anything but attack his lack of experience. Which didnt really matter in the 2008 campaign. Did it? Suddenly it matters.
His experience is in business. Sometimes yes you have to downsize to flourish. Sometimes we do it in our own homes. I know I do.
The point is, if there is one to be argued is he showed up with a plan. Is it perect? I bet not. Can it be tweaked, I bet so. Unless you are a fan of the present tax code, or if you work for hr block, jackson hewitt, or are a CPA, or tax accountant, I cannot see Democrat or Republican, why you would not be interested in a change. While I dont like to see poor people suffer, anymore than anyone does, face it, if you are poor, you are getting help. If you are not getting help, and are living on the street there are programs there to help you. If you are middle and struggling, there are no programs to help you, you need to find a way to make more money. Which is what many people do.

I have seen people who become unemployed, get a job on the side, and live great, because they do not report the income, and get double pay for what is it now 99 weeks? This is what the underground society has done for years and years.

The fair, flat tax of any kind may not fix this, but they will pay something of their untaxed money through paying a fair or flat tax.

The poor wont get hurt with their food stamps, because the amount they get will just get raised. They wont pay more for utilities, because they only pay a percentage anyway. They always get the protection, our costs go up, we need to work more to live the same, where is that fair?

klein

Für Meno :)
With things so great in Canada why are the Canadians coming down to the U.S. in droves just to buy groceries ? In particular Milk--along the border town parking lots are maxed.

Probably 1 of the reasons the northern bordering US States are doing well, compared to the others.
And I agree, milk and dairy products are much cheaper in the US, so is clothing, and even new and used cars.
Mostly thanks to our risiing dollar though.

But, if Cain gets his way and adds a 9% National Sales Tax, your parking lots will be pretty much be empty again.
Then you can expect higher unemployment and less consumer spending in the northern States, too.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Probably 1 of the reasons the northern bordering US States are doing well, compared to the others.
And I agree, milk and dairy products are much cheaper in the US, so is clothing, and even new and used cars.
Mostly thanks to our risiing dollar though.

But, if Cain gets his way and adds a 9% National Sales Tax, your parking lots will be pretty much be empty again.
Then you can expect higher unemployment and less consumer spending in the northern States, too.
Our parking lots are full now! Some places I wont even go out to eat, coz I wont wait in line. If I had more money, if they only took 9% out, and 9% on what I buy, I would be shopping as I type.
What you just dont seem to understand KLEIN, is the present tax code would go away for this one to be put in. Period. It will NOT be an additional tax.

island1fox

:happy-very:
But why feed a cancer when you have other options?

wkmac,
Where you and I differ--I am not adverse to changing things for the better but after spending years of living in different countries over my career I am sure that the United States was and still is the Land of Opportunity where many, many have gone from rags to riches and why many flock to our shores. The cancer you speak of has probably afforded you and your family many opportunities that most people in other countries have only dreamed of.
I had to laugh when I heard the outrage that the young OWS person was voicing when her 5,000 laptop was stolen. Looks like someone decided to re-distribute her wealth.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
A 5000k laptop! Goodness. They must do some really important stuff on that. What amazes me in this country, is how you can go anywhere, and really not worry. Like sleep in a parking lot when traveleing, if you get tired and need to pull over. 99% of the time, no one bothers you, tries to rob you etc.

Went to a nascar race, with a 30 k motorcycle in the back (on the way to biktoberfest) and all kinds of food, beer, etc, in the back, wide open, no one touched it.

My boss was on my route with someone new one day, and they stole his cell phone out of the cup holder, LOL.
Gotta know where you are I guess.

the difference, people who congregate after working hard all week, and where people expect everything to be given to them. And if it isnt they take it.

wkmac

:happy-very:

wkmac,
Where you and I differ--I am not adverse to changing things for the better but after spending years of living in different countries over my career I am sure that the United States was and still is the Land of Opportunity where many, many have gone from rags to riches and why many flock to our shores. The cancer you speak of has probably afforded you and your family many opportunities that most people in other countries have only dreamed of.
I had to laugh when I heard the outrage that the young OWS person was voicing when her 5,000 laptop was stolen. Looks like someone decided to re-distribute her wealth.

Seems these days those opportunities you speak of are getting less and less and they are. As those opportunities have decreased I've seen a equal destroyer of opportunity increase so I say remove that destroyer and thus the opportunities will return. You seem content to sit on a rock and accept the myth of American Exceptionalism. And I also believe the goodness my family and I have enjoyed have been very much as a result of our own actions of work and effort. Gov't out of the way and I believe it could be vastly better.

klein

Klein,
True. But a Canadian that was interviewed at a local Costco told the reporter that Milk and other food items were 50 percent CHEAPER in the U.S. Nine percent will not be a game changer.

If that's what you want to believe , then go for it.
Or you can look here for yourself : www.safeway.ca (enter postal code T5Z 2H2), then click on weekly specials ,(it's the weekly flyer), and Safeway is buy no means the cheapest store around.
But, I'm willing to pay more for quality products and awesome customer service.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It has been a while since I have been to Canada but I seem to recall that if I bought anything and stayed less than 48 hours I would get either the PST or GST refunded to me at the duty free shop. Perhaps there would be a reciprocal agreement when President Cain takes office.

island1fox

Or you can look here for yourself : www.safeway.ca (enter postal code T5Z 2H2), then click on weekly specials ,(it's the weekly flyer), and Safeway is buy no means the cheapest store around.
But, I'm willing to pay more for quality products and awesome customer service.

Klein,
I just repeated what a Canadian citizen reported when interviewed. It is not what I believe. It is what was said. Quote,"I can buy two gallons of milk in the U.S. while in Canada the same money will get me one."
Maybe she just wanted to lie ??

klein

Yeah, foreigners can get the GST reimbursed. I even had German friends visiting me, they sent in their reciepts along with the GST form from Germany, and have gotten check from our government.
You don't get the PST returned, just the GST, and has nothing to do with being less then 48hrs here. Maybe more then 48hrs ?

Klein,
I just repeated what a Canadian citizen reported when interviewed. It is not what I believe. It is what was said. Quote,"I can buy two gallons of milk in the U.S. while in Canada the same money will get me one."
Maybe she just wanted to lie ??

I don't know, a 4ltr jug of 2% milk here is just around $3.79-$3.99. Wholesale price at Costco, even much less, probably $3.00.
A 4 liter jug also contains more milk then a gallon (3.78 ltr). - basically a cup more.

I know we pay more, but not nearly double, unless you get a gallon of milk for $1.75 or less.

Oh yeah, almost forgot: Other food items are also more exspensive in the US, too. Not everything is cheaper.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Klein, as we know, cheaper with coupons.
Last night, at CVS bill was 64.00 after coupons 25.39. Got vitamins, cooking oil, pb, hair care, aspirin, laundry soap, everything had a coupon, and I walked out a richer girl.

island1fox

Seems these days those opportunities you speak of are getting less and less and they are. As those opportunities have decreased I've seen a equal destroyer of opportunity increase so I say remove that destroyer and thus the opportunities will return. You seem content to sit on a rock and accept the myth of American Exceptionalism. And I also believe the goodness my family and I have enjoyed have been very much as a result of our own actions of work and effort. Gov't out of the way and I believe it could be vastly better.

wkmac,
Free market -get the government out of the way sure we agree. If you remember the Carter years-higher unemployment same end of opportunity nonsense, the best years are behind us. Just another example of how history repeats itself.
But like it or not your work and effort was allowed in this system in this Country. Now on your point --if more people put hard work and effort in they would and could also enjoy the goodness that you and your family worked for.

It is amazing when you look at the classified job ads in the Sunday papers. No one wants an entry level job --too easy to collect unemployment. We have encouraged a society that would rather take assets from others rather that work for their own. OWS laptop great example of redistribution of wealth -not liked when the shoe is on your foot.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yeah, no one wants to start at the bottom, including me, but you have to. When you are inexperienced, you have to start somewhere. And that lesson has been lost. Everyone wants to start enjoying the good life without rolling in the blood, the mud and the beer.

klein

Klein, as we know, cheaper with coupons.
Last night, at CVS bill was 64.00 after coupons 25.39. Got vitamins, cooking oil, pb, hair care, aspirin, laundry soap, everything had a coupon, and I walked out a richer girl.

Tell me about it ! 2 of my coupons wouldn't work the other day at the till, had to get the manager again for an override !
Both those coupons had a 50% off value, one was worth $6.49 off 1 kg of frozen breaded chicken breats. The other was just 50% off a french bread....

Might need to go back today for 1 or 2 things, they are having a 10.000 airmiles giveaway each day (just need to be there at the right time), plus for every day you swipe your card a weekly draw for 100.000 airmiles. (value of $14.000). 10.000 airmiles is worth $1400

Last edited: